Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

I can say I have had nothing but a positive relationship with FTC from day one despite all the negativity I read here on a daily basis. They've always been fair to me and owned any errors and communicated fine. I realize that hasn't been the case for a lot of you but I'm kind of a "treat em as you meet em" kind of guy.

I received Brainiac in the mail yesterday and the head is just stupid large. I confirmed with FTC that it is indeed a reused head of Lex which surprised me considering they knew of the size issue. I did fire off a constructive email regarding their quality lately and got a brief response that wasn't overly helpful.

Seeing Grundy this morning really bummed me out. You see, Grundy is the figure that I personally have been wanting for since Mego came back. I have had numerous conversations a while back with FTC about Grundy and even pushed for muscle bodies for that reason. I was floored to see a skinny Grundy with a Beatles haircut. He looks sad. I don't even wanna buy the head.

I have long ago accepted FTC's flaws and took this mindset: "I'd rather have a ton of mego's with some of them flawed then no mego's at all." (And all of the companies have flaws, not just FTC) But Brianiac and Grundy seem just negligent or blatant. They seem to show more than just a boo-boo in production. To me it seems like they just don't care enough to get it right and not addressing the head scale issue publically isn't helping them.

I will not turn my back on FTC and not stop buying the ones I like because I love this hobby and the fact remains a lot of them are still awesome. But with the Cdn dollar and shipping costs, I will not be spending my hard earned money on crappy made guys just to fill a collection.

I am seriously rooting for them to get it right.
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Boshek
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 26, 2011

Will those clothes on the Grundy fit on a bigger body?
      Check out my YouTube page

Comment

• tiinacat
        Museum Patron
        • Feb 4, 2015

I have every DC figure variation FTC has released except early bird Gordon. I bought vans just to get the figures.

My first thought this week was the same as last week. Oh, another thing I won't be buying.

I know I may break down and get the big head wave from last week if it is on sale. But I think I'm close to done. Really it was big head new sculpt Batman that started me thinking - do I want to spend the money... it has just taken this long for me to come to terms with it.

Comment

• TRDouble
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 10, 2012

Didn't realize Grundy was limited to only 500 pieces. Interesting to see how quickly he sells. Definite pass for me.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by enyawd72
            Jesus that looks like Dick Sargent's dead bloated body washed up on the beach.
            Lol as I clean the spit take of my monitor.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• jacoblb
              Persistent Member
              • May 7, 2009

From the newsletter I liked Stan Lee, bu the Grundy figure doesn't look right to me. If I do buy, as a completest, he will be on the bottom of the list.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                Persistent Member
                • Apr 18, 2006

For some reason Grundy looks a little better to me in the pictures on the FTC website, still not great though. Stan Lee looks very good. Putting Grundy on a muscle body might make a big difference, but then he would be too short like Mego Hulk was.

Comment

• warlock664
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by Spyweb007
                  Putting Grundy on a muscle body might make a big difference, but then he would be too short like Mego Hulk was.
                  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that FTC's Muscular Body is taller than Mego's Hulk/Thing body ?

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

I guess this is supposed to be a pre-SF Grundy...

f156a34cbc8d0a424fc32236fb6d6fcb._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpgShowcase_55.jpg

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                      Moderation Engineer
                      • Aug 14, 2003

He's much more on model for a golden age take IMO. Someone mentioned he has no use as custom fodder. I have him pegged for one half of my Jon/Ponch Zombie Halloween special. I have plenty of wrecked CHiPs clothes.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                        Persistent Member
                        • Sep 27, 2010

well I feel disgruntled over this grundy,so a pass for me,but I will get both stans.

Comment

• rodkeith
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 16, 2008

Originally posted by Brown Bear

I will not turn my back on FTC and not stop buying the ones I like because I love this hobby and the fact remains a lot of them are still awesome. But with the Cdn dollar and shipping costs, I will not be spending my hard earned money on crappy made guys just to fill a collection.

I am seriously rooting for them to get it right.

As a fellow Canadian with the same inflated costs you mentioned, I'm in exactly the same boat. These figures are now costing upwards of $50 Can. each, and that's even before spending the money on upgrading with Type-S bodies, or socks so they stand better in hard plastic shoes.

I love the idea of what FTC is doing in general, but in practice the lack of quality control has recently dampened my enthusiasm. There have been so many misses, not only before they get produced (i.e. outlandishly-sized noggins), but when they arrive (missing hands, crooked symbols, bad paint jobs) that I will no longer pre-order anything until someone else has them in hand. C'mon, FTC, I want to give you my money, but you have to make the products worth it. Which is a roundabout way of saying, this Grundy is a no-sale for me, for the reasons others have already mentioned.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 4, 2011

I will preface this by saying FTC has put out some BEAUTIFUL figures! Amazingly sculpted, incredibly detailed, correctly scaled, beautiful figures. Batman 66 Joker, King Tut and Penquin come immediately to mind. Credit where credit is due and it has definitely been due. That being said, this SG figure is RIDICULOUS! Oversized, Village of the Damned child-like head sculpt on a regular body? Complete waste of time, resources and money. Sad.

Comment

• huedell
                              Museum Ball Eater
                              • Dec 31, 2003

FTC seems to strategize for variant releases.

Of course SF Grundy will be on a different body. Right?

Release the less familiar version first and pump him up as a 500 run exclusive to help sales of this odder choice... all the more chance someone who likes the character will buy two versions.

Seems like an obvious plan to me.

Personally, I don't care what they do, as they've lasted long enough to put other retro-Mego superhero lines to shame as far as the high quantity of Mego-era characters as modern releases, and there's no sign of them slowing down.

Sure, these recent releases push the limit of taste... but they've done that before and then pulled back from the brink.Here's hoping they can do that again.

(That said... what's up with Super Friends Sinestro's collar and chest decor design!)
                              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                                Often invisible
                                • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by warlock664
                                Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that FTC's Muscular Body is taller than Mego's Hulk/Thing body ?
                                It is, but only by a little bit. It falls about half-way between the original Hulk body, and the BBP Tyson/Brock Sampson or the Doc Mego white muscle body.
                                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎