Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a better appreciation for the human wolfman after watching a movie from 1973

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hobub
    Ghost of a Dead Indian
    • Jun 18, 2001

I have a better appreciation for the human wolfman after watching a movie from 1973

I saw the creepy movie, The Boy Who Cried Werewolf", 1973 last night and couldn't help but think, that now I know where they were coming from. I don't know if there was any influence but the Mego version does resemble this one a bit and the timing is just about right.

• Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

I've never seen this flick. How'd you like it?

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Some cracking good moments but tepid direction. The conclusion is laughable.

Damn good appliances but shoddy hair work. (It's a POTA-style make-up.) Always nice to see Kerwin Mattews, though.

I'd rate Legend of the Werewolf as altogether more successful, if more traditional.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Jun 18, '17, 9:28 AM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I can't link, but there's a Rick Baker Werewolf mask that looks almost exactly like our beloved Human Wolfman. I think it might have been in the Star Wars cantina scene, too?

(Don't mean to derail, Hobub--I cant see your point entirely.)
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hobub
          Ghost of a Dead Indian
          • Jun 18, 2001

I thought it was good, but almost in a 66 Batman sort of campiness. It still made my skin crawl a bit watching late on a Saturday night. I can only imagine how it would frighten a 10 year old in the 1970s, as I'm sure it did. I am almost sorry I missed it. I heard of Ssss but not this one at the time. Missed them both during the decade.

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

So the first is the space werewolf Baker couldn't believe Lucas actually put in frame.

The second is the creature I remember moreso as it had such a Famous Monsters mask vibe to it. It's undoubtedly another werewolf, but more modern nerdverse looks give it a bat-like visage.

The latter has a distinct Human Wolf vibe, but there's almost no chance Mego would have seen this design in '73. My guess would be Mego was Man-Wolf inspired, as he debuted in Spider-Man 124, (Sept '73) shortly turned into the massively printed Power Record.

You have the full snout, big ears, fur mutton chops. I see a similarity in the comics yellow tunic and the figures brown one-piece, and how the grey/arm legs could have been the cheap way out for hairy limbs.
            Last edited by hedrap; Jun 18, '17, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Thank you, Hed.

Comment

• hobub
                Ghost of a Dead Indian
                • Jun 18, 2001

Better stay away from him, he'll rip your lungs out Jim, I'd like to meet his tailor

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎