X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spawn67
    Career Member
    • Aug 14, 2009

Summertime...

So around this time of year when I was a kid and early teenager (June 14th to be exact) school was officially out and summer began.
    What did you most look forward to?
    For me it was going to my grandparents every weekend and our annual vacation to Ocean City, Maryland every year. That and the fact my birthday was in August. Literally everyday we went to our swim club as well. Fourth of July was Huge in our family to with all our relatives getting together..
    It seems Summers aren't nearly as fun and long as they were back then..lol
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Not having to go to school.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Staying up late and watching TV

Comment

• LordMudd
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 22, 2011

Swimming pool.

CCC.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

No school, barbecue, beach, pool, watermelon, movies, camping, interstate road trips, etc...
          sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 20, 2011

Back when I was a youngster (between 8 and, I think, 12), school would let out, a couple of weeks would pass and, before I knew it, I was on a plane (by myself, mind you, with someone from the airlines to watch over me from plane to plane, airport to airport) flying down to Florida to spend the bulk of my summer with my sister and brother who had both taken up residence in the Sunshine State. My sister lived with her fiancé in Pompano Beach and my brother was a boarder with them, so I fit neatly in.

I would wake up to warm sunny mornings, the smell of Florida (it has a distinctive smell) in the air looking forward to a day of hitting the beaches, swimming in her fiancé's in-ground pool, drinking the delicious, homemade lemonade my sister ALWAYS made and, what always became a major highlight to my summers, many, many trips to Lionel Playworld, which was, to me, the greatest toy store EVER (it put today's Toys R Us stores to shame). It where I bought my first Corgi Batmobile, my first frisbee and, most importantly, my very first MEGO figures. First year there, I remember getting Superman and Batman and then, by the following summer, Spidey, Iron Man, Cap and several others were out. I was a kid, had zero money and my parents weren't well off and my sister worked as a bank teller, so funds were tight, but her fiancé was a real estate guy (and, I suspect, closet geek) and had a healthy amount of $$$ and whenever he saw my face light up at the MEGO figures, it was a sure bet I was going to be scoring at least two.

Of course, trips to Florida wouldn't have been complete without daily trips to the nearby 7-11 to stock up on my comics and get a Slurpee in a superhero cup. In the years that I stayed later in the season, some of the stores would already be putting out school supplies and I remember scoring the great Mead line of super-hero school stuff: notebooks, pocket folders, pencil bags and even a couple of super-hero themed Trapper Keeper binders.

Those were goods times and will live in my memory, hopefully, for as long as I live...
            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

For me it was no school and hitting the road for family vacations.

These days, after a long winter of being cooped up in the house, I enjoy just relaxing on the back deck with a beer and some music. I could stay out there all day.

Comment

• apes3978
                Permanent Member
                • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
                Not having to go to school.
                This, over all else, was the best thing about Summer... To say I hated school is an understatement...

Originally posted by Mikey
                Staying up late and watching TV
                This was always a plus...

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

No school, staying up late, day camp, Italian ices, frozen bananas, ice cream truck on the block every day, staying out to play even when it got dark, ('cos someone's parents were always on the front stoop to watch you). Disney Summer Hit Parade at the movies every week, having free reign of my 3 black radius world.
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍