X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by thunderbolt
    Well, I was always under the impression that it was always "The Farrow" or whatever his codename is.
    Well yeah supposedly. But what competent professional can be so inconsistent? We've got nice '66 stuff mixed with jr.-high art class.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      Well yeah supposedly. But what competent professional can be so inconsistent? We've got nice '66 stuff mixed with jr.-high art class.
      I'm wondering if these sculpts were not worked on in the order they were released. Perhaps Brainiac and the Luthor in the lab coat were done at the same time years ago since they seem so similar.

All the blame can't be placed on the sculptor though. I assume he at least has some type of supervisor or an art director or something.
      Last edited by CrimsonGhost; Jun 18, '17, 9:32 PM.
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
        Radioactive!
        • Feb 13, 2010

The trademark on the back of Brainiac's neck says '14 for what it's worth.

Comment

• actjac01
          Veteran Member
          • May 17, 2009

So, I was thinking to myself, "Oh, great, again with the 'outsized head' issue. When are these haters going to give it a rest?"
          Then, I looked at Brainiac...OH GOOD GOD! That nogging is HUGE!
          Bummer, too. I was really looking forward to getting this figure, but now....
          "...You can capture the Klingon & bring him back to the Enterprise!"

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
            I'm wondering if these sculpts were not worked on in the order they were released. Perhaps Brainiac and the Luthor in the lab coat were done at the same time years ago since they seem so similar.

All the blame can't be placed on the sculptor though. I assume he at least has some type of supervisor or an art director or something.
            Similar?? They are both the same head one with junk glued to it. They reused the outsized Lex head mold without bothering to correct it.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

Similar?? They are both the same head one with junk glued to it. They reused the outsized Lex head mold without bothering to correct it.
              You know for a fact that these weren't both sculpted at the same time?

Comment

• TRDouble
                Permanent Member
                • Jul 10, 2012

That's the disturbing part. You know it was a bad sculpt to begin with, yet, you decide to re-use it anyway?

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                You know for a fact that these weren't both sculpted at the same time?
                Only FTC and maybe some insiders know for sure. But this came out so much later than the original Lex Luthor, I don't think FTC would just sit on them for as long as they did without releasing something, even an Early Bird version.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

just compare them, its the same head redeco-ed and it has the same size issue
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by TRDouble
                    That's the disturbing part. You know it was a bad sculpt to begin with, yet, you decide to re-use it anyway?

Only FTC and maybe some insiders know for sure. But this came out so much later than the original Lex Luthor, I don't think FTC would just sit on them for as long as they did without releasing something, even an Early Bird version.
                    My point is hey just reused the same mold, gigantism and all. Its not that much time difference, maybe a year?

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

review of the luthor head from Sept 16
                      http://megomuseum.com/community/show...ghlight=Luthor

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                        Often invisible
                        • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by TRDouble
                        It's hard to say, but they announced and showed protos for Scarecrow in April 2014 and that figure wasn't released until March of 2016, if my research is right. Same with Ras Al Ghul I believe. I don't feel it's out of the question.

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

Lexiac.jpg

Not the same head, but certainly the same sculptor and most likely made at the same time.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by hedrap
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]20910[/ATTACH]

Not the same head, but certainly the same sculptor and most likely made at the same time.
                            its the same sculpt altered, brows eyes and nose are the same. The Luthor head is stamped 14 on the back, too. There are even some of the same sculpt lines where the nose meets the brow. I am not going to spend 60 bucks to study them up close.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Comment

• hedrap
                                Permanent Member
                                • Feb 10, 2009

I see what you're saying. The Suited Luthor is certainly Brainiac, but the one from lilbros thread is vastly different. It looks like they took the Suited Luthor proto and altered it into Brainiac for marketing pics. But what explains the difference in retail versions?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎