Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

We've beaten this dead horse into dog food. I used to think it was due to the plant and Figures had no recourse, but Crimson, Dave etc...wisened me up to that being wrong, so it has to be combo of the following:

1. It's cost prohibitive
    2. Sales are good enough to not warrant a QC skirmish with the plant
    3. It's intentional

...intentional as in they really can't afford what they're doing. I think that's the biggest factor. The license costs v ROI makes this a wash or barely skimmed profit. So they literally cannot afford to stop and readdress mistakes as there's no money reserve for that.

I actually find it amusing now, as they've become a modern-day Azrak.

Comment

• Your pal, Jim
      Museum Patron
      • Apr 3, 2015

Originally posted by Krypt0nite
      Yes, that's the new Superman. I removed the belt loops by turning the suit inside out and unraveled the threads holding them on, I removed the wires from the cape to get it to lay like I wanted, and I switched out his boots for the classic style. I'm very happy with how he turned out.
      Cool, thanks, and nicely done. I was so knocked out that I found your other posts about it!

Comment

• dcohendmd
        • Jan 20, 2014

Wow that head IS crazy big...it would work on a 1/6th scale figure! It is cool however!

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by hedrap
          We've beaten this dead horse into dog food. I used to think it was due to the plant and Figures had no recourse, but Crimson, Dave etc...wisened me up to that being wrong, so it has to be combo of the following:

1. It's cost prohibitive
          2. Sales are good enough to not warrant a QC skirmish with the plant
          3. It's intentional

...intentional as in they really can't afford what they're doing. I think that's the biggest factor. The license costs v ROI makes this a wash or barely skimmed profit. So they literally cannot afford to stop and readdress mistakes as there's no money reserve for that.

I actually find it amusing now, as they've become a modern-day Azrak.
          so instead they will eventually lose the DC line and go belly up due to diminished sales.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Krypt0nite
            Radioactive!
            • Feb 13, 2010

I compared the Brainiac head to a 9-inch Capt. Kirk head on the old Playmates line, and the Brainiac head is actually BIGGER. Glad I could take one for the team for you guys

As it stands right now I'm looking at modding a Mattel Martian Manhunter head to replace Brainiac's gigantic head. Any other ideas?

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Krypt0nite
              I compared the Brainiac head to a 9-inch Capt. Kirk head on the old Playmates line, and the Brainiac head is actually BIGGER. Glad I could take one for the team for you guys

As it stands right now I'm looking at modding a Mattel Martian Manhunter head to replace Brainiac's gigantic head. Any other ideas?
              I'm going to modify a resin bald Thor casting, I think.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Sounds like acetone won't even get it down to scale if its bigger than 9 inch size. That's just pathetic. And its 30 bucks, too!!! Just out of curiosity, is it molded in green or could it be a repainted Lex head?
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                  Radioactive!
                  • Feb 13, 2010

It's molded in green but is VERY squishy. I'd thought about acetone but i don't know how it would hold up.

Bald Thor in green sounds perfect for a head replacement.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

^Green-molded Lex with painted and glued-on details explains a lot: the cheap way out. Meh.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      ^Green-molded Lex with painted and glued-on details explains a lot: the cheap way out. Meh.
                      I was wondering if it was overstock of the Lex head just painted over, surprised they actually molded it in color.

Comment

• TRDouble
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jul 10, 2012

Just looked at SF Sinestro again. That head looks gigantic too. I hope they part some of these out eventually, but they seem to have done that less and less with the latest releases, going back to the second 7" Teen Titans release.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

I was looking at the figures I do have and they are very inconsistent on head size, Pa Kent is good along with the first wave of the Batman 66 figures, then Egghead kind of went a bit big along with Shame and Bookworm. Ra's al Ghul seems ok and the first Scarecrow. 66 Batgirl was kind of a mess with the goofed up neck holes and the weird expression ( a case of Bat-Gas?) What is the problem with this? If its the same sculptor then he should be sculpting them all the same size.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

I've long thought that more than one sculptor is involved, and no QC ;-) .

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              I've long thought that more than one sculptor is involved, and no QC ;-) .
                              Well, I was always under the impression that it was always "The Farrow" or whatever his codename is.

Comment

• hedrap
                                Permanent Member
                                • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                                so instead they will eventually lose the DC line and go belly up due to diminished sales.
                                I keep waiting for normal patterns to appear like someone on the rise buying FTC just for access to the license.

To me, it's a no-brainer for Super7. They have a working relationship with Mattel. Matty has all the DCU molds/tooling stored somewhere, (I'd assume). Strike a deal like their MOTU Classics, lease the molds and mix that with Figures license requirements. They're also working with Four Horsemen, so bring them in.

I don't see Matty caring if the only version of core DCU characters they made were Superfriends based designs. That's not going to take a bite out of their store-sold product.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎