Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

I was in Best Buy today and picked up "Planet of the Apes" , "Rise of the Planet of the Apes", and "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" on Blu-ray for $7.99 each and the Legacy Collection with the original 4 sequels on Blu-ray for $19.99. I already had the TV show and the Filmation cartoon on DVD so I have everything but the Burton film in my collection. The funny thing is, I had dug the TV show out last night and watched the first episode and I was in Best Buy to get something else and stumbled on the sale. Complete coincidence, but I was in the frame of mind to go ahead and pull the trigger on what I lacked.

Comment

• apes3978
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 19, 2005

Another review:

rogerebert.com/reviews/war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-2017

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

Just saw it as a part of a marathon.
        Good movie, CG is absolutely amazing with terrific performances.
        The story does lack a little structure (with some slow parts), but I enjoyed it. Some very nice "winks" at the original series, as well.
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by torgospizza
          I have that book, as well as the Star Trek and all three Star Wars books. I can't recommend them enough. I would really love to see a Six Million Dollar Man book done similarly, but I think those cards were made by Donruss, rather than Topps, so it's unlikely it'll be made unless the publisher branches out.
          the 6MDM were actually all stickers weren't they?

can't wait for the new apes movie. I love the new series and am always stoked for a new Apes adventure

Comment

• Confessional
            Maker & Whatnot
            • Aug 8, 2012

Back from the 10:45 am screening… (Oh yeah!) enjoyed it much!

The motion capture has certainly reached a new milestone, so much so that the standard CGI is stepping back much like the background characters wearing masks in the classic arc.

I didn't find any lack of structure, rather I thought it filled in many blanks (virus mutation, rogue military, ape society evolution, etc.) and riffed on ton of Apes (and Apocalypse Now) content. Happy it was a serious movie with comic relief, rather than just another campy action film. Good on Matt Reeves for completing the new arc with dignity.

Now, for the love of all things Lawgiver, we need Rocket and Bad Ape figures! Neca passed… is anyone taking this license outside of Funko and Super7?
            Last edited by Confessional; Jul 14, '17, 4:12 PM. Reason: … Go ****ing Ape!

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Saw it last night, I wish Matt Reeves would take on other properties like the Universal Monsters because he's able to make great sensible movies that give plenty of nods to fans that don't pander.

I loved this movie, they managed to make this sensible retelling of the mythos and you really care about the characters. The villains are plausible and while i initially worried that "Bad Ape" would be a silly idea, he provided some much needed levity in a dark movie.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Goblin19
                Talkative Member
                • May 2, 2002

A fitting ending to the new 3 movies. Caesar is truly one of the best realized characters I have seen in quite a while, both technically and emotionally.

Comment

• apes3978
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 19, 2005

latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-planet-of-the-apes-caesar-ending-20170717-story.html

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

saw it yesterday. great movie. a little slow at parts as others have said but really a solid film. can't wait to see what they do in the next one

Comment

• Godzilla
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 3, 2002

Took the family over the weekend ans we all loved it. Great movie!
                      Mortui Vivos Docent
                      The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Saw the movie...and it was great...the motion-capture is getting better and better...

Caesar wave of emotions were incredible...Andy Serkis should be nominated for an Oscar, but you know those idiots are going to die,is him as merely a prop for the motion-capture character.

I was rooting for the apes so bad...hated every single human except for Nova (brilliant how she was named), lol.

My second all time favorite Ape movie after the original...it may be blasphemous for some here to hear that, but that's my damn dirty opinion...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Goblin19
                          A fitting ending to the new 3 movies. Caesar is truly one of the best realized characters I have seen in quite a while, both technically and emotionally.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Confessional
                            Back from the 10:45 am screening… (Oh yeah!) enjoyed it much!

The motion capture has certainly reached a new milestone, so much so that the standard CGI is stepping back much like the background characters wearing masks in the classic arc.

I didn't find any lack of structure, rather I thought it filled in many blanks (virus mutation, rogue military, ape society evolution, etc.) and riffed on ton of Apes (and Apocalypse Now) content. Happy it was a serious movie with comic relief, rather than just another campy action film. Good on Matt Reeves for completing the new arc with dignity.

Now, for the love of all things Lawgiver, we need Rocket and Bad Ape figures! Neca passed… is anyone taking this license outside of Funko and Super7?
                            Hit the nail on the head throughout your post..
                            sigpic

Comment

• rykerw1701
                              Persistent Member
                              • Aug 27, 2007

Good movie, and a fitting end to the Ape trilogy. I'd rate it behind the other two, but it's still very enjoyable. A little slow in places, and a few too many conveniences to drive the plot, like the avalanche, but still fun to watch.

Loved the various nods to the original movies.

Comment

• Mikey
                                Verbose Member
                                • Aug 9, 2001

I didn't see it yet but are you guys saying you think this movie is the last in a trilogy and no more will be made ?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎