X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Rancho Obi Wan robbed.

Rancho Obi-Wan needs our help to track down pieces stolen from the biggest Star Wars collection in the galaxy. You are our only hope!

They caught the guy (it looks like it was a trusted friend, sadly) but they need help tracking down the stolen pieces.

“Dear fellow Star Wars fans and collectors,

I need to share some distressing news with you because I need your help.

In February we at Rancho Obi-Wan found out that we had been the victim of a major theft that surreptitiously took place over many months in late 2015 through 2016.

There were more than 100 valuable items stolen, the majority of them vintage U.S. and foreign carded action figures, many of them rare and important pieces. Most have either been resold or professionally appraised for a total of more than $200,000.

The theft came to light after Philip Wise, a good friend, major collector and owner of several Star Wars websites, posted news of the theft of his rare prototype rocket-firing Boba Fett action figure from his Texas warehouse. Zach Tann, a respected toy dealer and collector in Southern California, immediately notified Philip that he had purchased that figure from Carl Edward Cunningham, 45, a well-known Star Wars collector and R2-D2 builder from Marietta, Georgia.

Tann further told Philip that he previously had bought many other rare Star Wars collectibles from Carl and sent a detailed list. Philip said that he quickly concluded by the quantity and quality of items that they had likely been stolen from my collection here in Petaluma, California.

Tann is working closely with us and authorities to help recover and return as many of the stolen collectibles as possible. Without Zach Tann’s call to Philip, which came despite great potential personal financial exposure to himself, we might still not know of the theft or its extent.

Carl surrendered on an arrest warrant from the Sonoma County, California Sheriff’s Department at the end of March and was charged with felony grand theft. He is currently free on bail with additional hearings in the case scheduled.

I have known Carl for many years, considered him a good and trusted friend, and played host to him at my home numerous times. I, and the staff at Rancho Obi-Wan, are devastated that he is the alleged perpetrator of the thefts. Not only have important items been stolen from the collection, but also our time, energy and ability to trust unconditionally have taken a blow.

If you have any information about Carl Cunningham’s activities or items that he has sold please write to tips@ranchoobiwan.org. If you think you may have purchased a stolen item, please be patient while we work through this process. It is our goal to resolve this situation as quickly as possible and to continue to use the collection at Rancho Obi-Wan to “Inspire through the Force” despite the destruction caused by one person.

Thank you for your help,
    Steve Sansweet
    Rancho Obi-Wan”
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • libby 1957dog
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 3, 2009

yeah read about this on the sideshow boards ,the thief was a poster over there went by the name of irish jedi ,seemed a pretty cool guy with a seemingly good insider knowledge to the bts on the dc movies ,hope it all gets straightened out

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

Sounds like a scummy thing to do. I just couldn't stab someone in the back like that.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, the betrayal is probably worse than the actual theft. What a dirtbag.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• HardyGirl
          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
          • Apr 3, 2007

Wow, that just sucks! I'm glad some of the figures are being recovered.
          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍