X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

Liquid Chrome Testing

… been testing Molotow's Liquid Chrome on a variety of parts including different plastics, resins and old school Mego vinyl. The Heshin Cyborg Devilman is a multi-coat of the paint without varnish. The General's head is the same with an archival gloss varnish. You can see the dulling that occurred as the reflective quality of the pigment is affected when interrupted by the varnish.

Q: As the Liquid Chrome is touch sensitive (it will dull on its own with continued exposure from the oils/moisture of your skin), has anyone found a way to clear coat it without significantly impacting the shine/reflection? Thoughts and theories welcome.

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 28, 2013

I posted the link to this fellow' youtube vid using Liquitex High gloss Varnish...

to ToyPolloi' Micronaut head tutorial he did using the Molotow Liquid Chrome. I havent tried it yet, myself, but might be worth a try.

PS. That Devilman head looks fantastic!

Comment

• Confessional
      Maker & Whatnot
      • Aug 8, 2012

Ah, thanks for that! Gonna try that next… I'll be very happy to see shiny results.

Yeah, I'm making a couple more Devilman customs too as I still have some heads left.

Comment

• comicmike
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 22, 2009

Some interesting research: Applying via airbrushing may be ideal (+ *Apply it Thick*, & leave it *untouched* to dry for 24-48h)
        Molotow, liquid chrome, jacky chan, spray paint, gundam, airbrush, belton premium, model, miniature

Buy this product here:http://artprimo.com/catalog/molotow-liquid-chrome-30ml-refill-p-4635.htmlIn this video GR tests the liquid chrome in an airbrushMusic b...

Will Pattison's different experiments with the product, & different clear coats:
        in which we have a look at yet another wannabe chrome that's also more like polished aluminum, but may have some advantages.

If done right, I'm curious if it could be a good base to finish with candy colors (like the light blue finish on a Super Powers Brainiac; or chroming a Mego Iron Man head). I'm guessing an original Mego head might work if it is solidified(I fill mine with SculpeyIII & boil to harden it), but seal the outside of the head with acrylic to change the outside property of the rubber. What a great thread!!!!
        Last edited by comicmike; Jun 4, '17, 5:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎