Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YoungOnce
    Career Member
    • Aug 29, 2007

Funny... after all these years, I had just pulled out and re-read Watchmen again last month.

It's even better than I remembered.

I would consider it and [I]Dark Knight Returns[I] to be essential.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

If you enjoy Watchman or Miracleman, or even Alan Moore's Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, I suggest picking up a copy of the novel Superfolks by Robert Mayer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-Folks

I was blown away by Alan Moore's "genius" until I read it and discovered pretty much that each of these storylines were taken from bits and pieces of Superfolks. Granted, Alan Moore did a MUCH better job at presenting it. Superfolks reads like a 3 yr old who watched PM magazine for the first time wrote it at times, but the revolutionary themes Alan Moore is often credited with are there.

If you enjoyed Watchmen, you might enjoy this book, being that it is cited as being one of the many influences.
      I heard of this book a while back. It supposedly also influenced Moore's unreleased DC crossover event "Twilight" which in turn supposedly influenced "Kingdom Come", although Alex Ross says he never read either and any similarities are coincidence.

I haven't read Watchmen since the early 90s at most. My buddy had the TPB and I read it then. I really need to re-read it as an adult.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• goldenryan
        coy member
        • Jul 13, 2007

i'm just reading watchmen for the first time too. i think it's one of the best things i've read in a while.

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
          Career Member
          • May 14, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          I heard of this book a while back. It supposedly also influenced Moore's unreleased DC crossover event "Twilight" which in turn supposedly influenced "Kingdom Come", although Alex Ross says he never read either and any similarities are coincidence.

I haven't read Watchmen since the early 90s at most. My buddy had the TPB and I read it then. I really need to re-read it as an adult.

Chris
          There's coincidence and then there's the truth. Anyone that can read and can put 2 and 2 together can figure out Alex Ross's "coincidence". I love his art, but the man believes his own hype. Moore fell into that mold years ago.

Bob

Comment

• WannabeMego
            Made in the USA
            • May 2, 2003

Here are my picks for Must Read Series:
            • V For Vendetta
            • Watchmen
            • Dark Knight
            • Kingdom Come
            • Spiderman: Kraven's Last Hunt
            • Miracleman
            • Strangers in Paradise
            • Y The Last Man
            • The Spirit
            • Sandman
            • League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
            • Batman: The Killing Joke
            • Camelot 3000
            • Hellboy
            • Grendal
            • Concrete
            • Bone
            ...there are also some great comic runs in certain series that I'll try to compile for you...

Just found this:

...Great place to start...
            Last edited by WannabeMego; Aug 3, '08, 7:51 AM.
            Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
              OH JES!!
              • Jul 21, 2005

I scored the whole Watchmen mini series today at a Flea market in NYC all in mint condition and all I payed was 12 bucks a dolla an issue woohoo!.... my old ones were in pretty hurt shape......this was a great score for me today i love flea markets!!!!

Comment

• Overkill
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 19, 2007

I just finished reading Watchmen and I must say it was an amazing story from start to finish. Definitely one of the best stories I have ever read.

I decided to read it before viewing the trailer, so I just saw it for the first time and now I can truly be excited for this movie.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎