Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone excited about the Justice League?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by sprytel
    After his Oscar win, Leto was viewed as a blue chip Hollywood talent. His Joker was supposed to be the draw to see "Suicide Squad"... since most of the public had never heard of these characters.

The fact that so much of his performance ended up on the cutting room floor is telling in and of itself.
    yeah, I figure there was a reason so much of it was dumped, either its bad, or Will Smith's ego demanded more screen time, or just bad direction/editing. What we did see of his Joker was pretty weak and trying to be hip and edgy, its the Poochy syndrome pushed by the suits.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
      Is Leto officially out as the Joker yet? There were rumors...
      God, I hope so.

Think I'd rather see Supergirl beat up on Superman again...than see Leto as the Joker in another flick...

sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by DavidCoppola
        Pretty sure Aquaman will be the stand out.
        Part of me hopes so, and the other part of me realizes that, if you're right, we're in big trouble as far as a movie DCU goes.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• huedell
          Museum Ball Eater
          • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by sprytel
          After his Oscar win, Leto was viewed as a blue chip Hollywood talent. His Joker was supposed to be the draw to see "Suicide Squad"... since most of the public had never heard of these characters.

The fact that so much of his performance ended up on the cutting room floor is telling in and of itself.
          I can't see how this is true other than that he was supposed to be a hook to draw people in.

The fact that his performance ended up on the cutting room floor had to do with the fact that when trying to shorten the running time on this debacle (think Superman IV---or even BvS DOJ!), of course the first thing to go was footage from the "Harley/Joker Romance" subplot that had little to do with the core Suicide Squad main plot.

A lot stinks about the Snyder DCCU and studio input... and I believe (for good reason, and you guys gotta back me on this) that these Snyder-Nolan (as producer)-connected DCCU movies have just not hit the screen all that well...

and if the new WW is the first and last of that era to really hit that sweet spot, then maybe we'll get lucky and will finally be embarking on an Iron Man-ish golden era of superhero movies for WB/DC.

But there's no way that I'm gonna dump the obviously "messed up to high heaven"-tainted DCCU's Suicide Squad Joker-showing on Leto's acting prowess within the Joker role as squeezed out by such a toxic gang of producers.

I'd have to see Leto miss the mark in something resembling a real "whole" Joker role before I gave him the boot. Not to say I wouldn't feel that way at some point.... just not now.
          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ That Joker missed the mark, big time. If you don't see it, I can't help you. It was just a flat out mess of an attempt to be edgy and cool with a timeless character that doesn't need to be hipped up for the audience to make him relevant.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

^^^ That Joker missed the mark, big time. If you don't see it, I can't help you. It was just a flat out mess of an attempt to be edgy and cool with a timeless character that doesn't need to be hipped up for the audience to make him relevant.
              It's not like I totally disagree with you. It's not like I thought he approached Ledger... or even Nicholson...although I found him scarier than Nicholson's Joker (insert joke here!).

I think our main difference is that I simply don't think he stunk ("big time").... and, to a lesser extent, I look at that "edginess" as a new take on an old character (my favorite villain of all-time next to Jadis Of Charn, the White Witch), a character who has been established as having many chaotic facets to his core character "insanity".

And, not only did I see the extra SS Joker footage and thought Leto was shortchanged... I also viewed the footage actually in SS as engaging enough, if pretty off-kilter... specifically I enjoyed the tension as he used Harley as some kind weapon to tease that gangster character.

All I'm saying is that I'm up for seeing him again.... I'm still not sure if he could carry the villain role in a film where he was the main villain, but SS was far from that twice over.
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• comicmike
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 22, 2009

Originally posted by Apositive
                I'm looking forward to it. Wonder Woman and Aquaman, too.
                I agree. I loved the Wonder Woman movie, so she will undoubtedly bring much well-deserved diversity to the new team-movie's release. Aquaman truly brings forward a fresh new cinematic take on different eras of his comic book counterpart, IMO.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Suicide Squad's Joker also suffered from the suits and all involved wanting to diversify the character from Ledger's Oscar-winning portrayal. But that version proved the Joker can be relevant without giving into "hip" visuals such as grills and tons of tattoos. They should have learned from that.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Leto's Joker tattoos are cringeworthy and lame...telling the world he's mad through art...how narcissistically self-aware of himself is that, lol..
                    sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Hector
                      Leto's Joker tattoos are cringeworthy and lame...telling the world he's mad through art...how narcissistically self-aware of himself is that, lol..
                      And the Joker of all people does not need to advertise.

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Exactly...
                        sigpic

Comment

• huedell
                          Museum Ball Eater
                          • Dec 31, 2003

And the Joker of all people does not need to advertise.
                          I couldn't agree more with this "tattoo lameness" perspective for this particular "Insane" tattoo.

Three things though:

1. Chris' point that they had to veer far from Ledger to be taken seriously was certainly a challenge they were faced with

2. Leto's "Rock star" Joker as a follow-up to Ledger's "punk" Joker made perfect sense to me... Leto's Joker was the "dandy" rock version of Ledger's "gutter" rock

3. Rock stars have tattoos... so, I'm for this Joker having tattoos... however, the tattoo was very "now" in style.... I would've preferred something more 60's "mod" ... but, I still thought the tat "idea" was "Glam Rock" Joker appropriate.

Frankly, I never saw the tat much once I was fixated to the movie... but for those entranced with the tat (and it's "self-aware" verbage) leading up the movie... the damage was done... how can I (or anyone at WB) erase that from people's mind's? That's why I say, it may be too late to seduce anyone already turned off to Leto's Joker no matter how insignificant that tat should be in the context to all else related to Leto's performance.

It's too bad that seemingly they may have to replace Leto based primarily on reactions to promo pictures for a movie in which Leto couldn't even get a fair shake in the editing room.
                          Last edited by huedell; Jun 2, '17, 7:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎