Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WONDER WOMAN garnering positive reviews...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

If that would be possible, yeah...but unfortunately, highly unlikely...
    sigpic

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
      NEVER underestimate the power of an Amazon, especially one who's the daughter of Zeus! LOL!

Hoping that the suits at WB see what's actually working and incorporate those elements into future films. Time to bring Superman back as the beacon of hope that he's meant to be!

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, if WB were smart, they'd scrap the whole JL movie, use it as a tax write off and allow WONDER WOMAN to basically be the launching point of the DCEU. Yeah, it would likely push the DCEU back 12 to 18 months, but if can craft quality films that generate the buzz of WW, wouldn't it be worth it?
      You say that like WB would know how to do that successfully if they even committed to such a thing.

If there's one thing that post-DKR DCCU has proven, is that WONDER WOMAN'S success both critically and financially is nothing more than a fluke.

With all respect to Snyder's "family issues" that took him off JL, it's a good turn of fate for the DCCU (and us fans) that Snyder is out, and Marvel film-experienced Whedon is in, because ANYthing that happens that steers WB/DC away from their natural instincts is a GOOD thing.... especially someone with Disney/Marvel superhero experience....the experience to have some kind of tact... some kind of respect toward, not just the source material, but the story-telling process that brings the source material to the feature-film screenplay format.

This kind of thing is the ONLY type choice to somewhat reasonably guarantee an appropriate "fix" for the DCCU. The Disney/Marvel film production peeps understand their limitations.

The question now is: Now that WONDER WOMAN has given all the illusion that WB/DC films are doing okay for the time-being, how stupid will their next decision be?

WB/DC has a LOT of catching-up to do, and they're going to have to realize that trying to capture what made WONDER WOMAN so successful is less important than learning how to present the DCU to the world via accessible well-structured films with story-telling focus centered on characters.... not disjointed EVENTS jammed into hodge-podge movies.
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• mego maniac mark
        Career Member
        • Aug 3, 2010

^^^^ your a major Debbie Downer

Just saw WW today and loved it. Gal Gadot was tremendous. All the actors were great and I had fun, yes fun.
        mego's befo ho's

Comment

• huedell
          Museum Ball Eater
          • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by mego maniac mark
          ^^^^ your a major Debbie Downer
          I don't see what you're talking about. I'm pointing out the obvious. Because I think that "the obvious" is lost on many people... many people who NEED to hear this: WB and DCCU fans.

Get the word out to WB that they need to look at the long haul... not "cloning WONDER WOMAN" attempts.

If WB doesn't go about following-up WONDER WOMAN with the simple, humble sensibility that Disney has shown Marvel material, then we are tainted before we even begin.
          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

^Yeah, I totally get what Huedell is saying...if DC's track record is any indication, they'll look at what made Wonder Woman work and think "This is how all the DC movies need to be!" when that's not the case at all. Marvel wisely shifts the tone of each of their films based on what works for THAT character or group of characters, instead of broadly trying to apply the same formula across the board. That is why Logan can be dark and gritty, while Guardians is light and comedic, and Captain America is inspiring and uplifting. Marvel plays to the strengths of each character, and it works.

Comment

• Makernaut
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 22, 2015

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, if WB were smart, they'd scrap the whole JL movie, use it as a tax write off and allow WONDER WOMAN to basically be the launching point of the DCEU. Yeah, it would likely push the DCEU back 12 to 18 months, but if can craft quality films that generate the buzz of WW, wouldn't it be worth it?
              This is exactly what I told my sister the other day. I bailed after "Man of Steel". She stuck around for "Batman V. Superman" and "Suicide Squad" and that made her really nervous about "Wonder Woman" until she started seeing some of the trailers.

I'm waiting to catch "Wonder Woman" in a couple of weeks at this awesome theater in Kansas City when my sister, niece, and I head up to catch a Kansas City Royals game. We've mapped out a day of Kansas City Barbecue, "Wonder Woman", then BoSox at KC. Gonna be hard to wait, but that's when all three of us can catch it together.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

I'm gonna watch Wonder Woman again this Tuesday...
                sigpic

Comment

• Brue
                  User without title
                  • Sep 29, 2005

I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lily.Eleanor, and Amanda loved it.

Top 10 superhero films of ll time.

Comment

• YoungOnce
                    Career Member
                    • Aug 29, 2007

I left the theatre giddy that I enjoyed the movie so much. The older I get, the less I am able to buy into movies these days in the way I did in my formative years. I have chalked it up to just getting older and jaded. The only exceptions are the franchises with some nostalgia attached like Star Wars, and that may just be because it's Star Wars and John William's music takes me back by pushing some magic buttons.

The comparisons to Chris Reeve's Superman and Captain America are most apt. Maybe it's the optimism, dunno. It just had all the right ingredients.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by enyawd72
                      ^Yeah, I totally get what Huedell is saying...if DC's track record is any indication, they'll look at what made Wonder Woman work and think "This is how all the DC movies need to be!" when that's not the case at all. Marvel wisely shifts the tone of each of their films based on what works for THAT character or group of characters, instead of broadly trying to apply the same formula across the board. That is why Logan can be dark and gritty, while Guardians is light and comedic, and Captain America is inspiring and uplifting. Marvel plays to the strengths of each character, and it works.
                      Yes, MARVEL undoubtedly allows their individual movies to plays to the strengths and character traits inherent in the character/characters. WB/DC, unfortunately, has eschewed this thinking, trying to shoehorn everyone into the grounded and dark nature of both Christopher Nolan (yes, BB and TDK are great films, but they did set the precedent for DC and WB to use his extremely grounded take on Batman as a basic template which they set before Zack Snyder) and Zack Snyder.

MAN OF STEEL should have been a modern retooling of SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE (and you can feel little bits of that when he first learns how to fly, for example) with Superman as an unquestionable, bright beacon of hope in a world that needed it. Instead, it became a dark, somber affair with Superman unnecessarily killing someone he just as easily could have stopped in some other way (clamp his hands over Zod's eyes, for example, or simply lift Zod up and away from the innocent bystanders or, moving at super speed, simply move said bystanders out of the way).

BvS chose to take a long boiling animosity between the two characters and make it the starting point of their relationship, which is stupid by anyone's standards.

Again, with ANY luck, WW's success will have the suits at WB and the film liaisons at DC sitting back, taking a breath and perhaps deciding on a new, brighter path forward for their characters who are actually more, true American icons than ANY of MARVEL's posse.
                      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

Found it very good. Surprised at how many Ridley Scott elements are floating about. Most striking was how the final act is a reworking of Legend.

Gadot and Jenkins deserve credit for saving JL's opening. That was no guarantee, but WW made sure it crosses 100M now.

WB have been watching WW tests and cuts for a year, while simultaneously seeing JL cobble together. Whedon pitched for Batman, got shot down, and took Batgirl because WB was so high on WW. Then they asked him to take over JL because Snyder's tone must look horrible next to WW. I have a distinct feeling JL is going to be a yuge mess.

...and the way you save Superman is make MOS2 and WW2 one story over two films. That's something Marvel has no answer for.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by hedrap
                          Found it very good. Surprised at how many Ridley Scott elements are floating about. Most striking was how the final act is a reworking of Legend.

Gadot and Jenkins deserve credit for saving JL's opening. That was no guarantee, but WW made sure it crosses 100M now.

WB have been watching WW tests and cuts for a year, while simultaneously seeing JL cobble together. Whedon pitched for Batman, got shot down, and took Batgirl because WB was so high on WW. Then they asked him to take over JL because Snyder's tone must look horrible next to WW. I have a distinct feeling JL is going to be a yuge mess.

...and the way you save Superman is make MOS2 and WW2 one story over two films. That's something Marvel has no answer for.
                          Great idea for saving Superman, hedrap! Two of the most powerful beings on the planet sharing an adventure and maybe discovering that they might even "like" each other a bit more than casually. I could easily see Gadot's Wonder Woman helping Clark dispatch his current dark tone for something brighter and more celebratory.
                          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                            Persistent Member
                            • Sep 3, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
                            I'm gonna watch Wonder Woman again this Tuesday...
                            here you go pal this will help hold you over or push you over the edge

2.14 too funny

shes is a top ,top bird in my book , nice to see some hollywood folk that dont have their thumb up their own arse and being so precious about their "craft"

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

Planning on seeing it again this weekend at a nearby drive-in. That should be a lot of fun!

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                                Permanent Member
                                • Feb 10, 2009

Two of the most powerful beings on the planet sharing an adventure and maybe discovering that they might even "like" each other a bit more than casually. I could easily see Gadot's Wonder Woman helping Clark dispatch his current dark tone for something brighter and more celebratory.
                                The irony, is in the way Snyder made Clark unable to handle having to protect/save people, while not wanting to be isolated in the Fortress. So if a WW came along, you would expect Supes to drop Lois for WW as she solves all of his personal hangups. And when Supes comes back, Diana no longer has to worry about this guy dying.

...of course, this leads to Snyder's return for Kingdom Come. I mean, if there's one project he's suited for....

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎