Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WONDER WOMAN garnering positive reviews...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Cindy and I joined Rob Kelly for a nice discussion on the movie on Film and Water:

A podcast about movies old and new! Hosted by former video store employee Rob Kelly and a rotating cast of guests.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 13, 2016

Originally posted by jimbutsu
      Hate me too, Hec - I went last night as well.

One thing I had a weird beef with - Gal Gadot is very *cute*... like she has a softness that Wonder Woman shouldn't have. Kind of the opposite of what I didn't like about Cavill as Superman being so angular when the softness should be there. Don't get me wrong, it is a minor nit and she did a great job, but they didn't style her properly to be pretty and rugged at the same time.

Good example of being masculine and still having that softness - Christopher Reeve.
      Good example of being striking but having a steeliness - Linda Carter.
      As an artist, she actually has a very angular face and her eyebrows are plucked in a direction that creates some pretty hard lines.
      She does tear up several times in the movie, but I actually liked that. I felt it worked for the "time period" of her life. She is obviously very intelligent but experiencing several complex emotions for the first time. Kind of like Ada in Agents of Shield but less murderous lol.
      I personally felt like her innocent emotional response to situations helped build her backstory and show that despite her mixed emotions that humans are worth saving.
      It wouldn't work in the JL movie cuz she's been living amongst humans for a century and she should be more stoic at that point.

-Diana

Comment

• jimbutsu
        Memory *is* RAM!
        • Apr 11, 2002

Originally posted by The Re-Rooter
        As an artist, she actually has a very angular face and her eyebrows are plucked in a direction that creates some pretty hard lines.
        She does tear up several times in the movie, but I actually liked that. I felt it worked for the "time period" of her life. She is obviously very intelligent but experiencing several complex emotions for the first time. Kind of like Ada in Agents of Shield but less murderous lol.
        I personally felt like her innocent emotional response to situations helped build her backstory and show that despite her mixed emotions that humans are worth saving.
        It wouldn't work in the JL movie cuz she's been living amongst humans for a century and she should be more stoic at that point.

-Diana
        I hadn't thought of it this way - if she's a little softer because she hasn't hardened up yet, like if her demeanor is a little more rigid in JL, that would be a brilliant piece of development and I'd be all in.
        "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

With an estimated $57 million, Warner Bros. and DC Comics' release of Wonder Woman finished atop the weekend box office for a second week in a row as its domestic cume now totals more than $205 million after just ten days in release. The performance signals a 45% drop compared to the film's massive $103 million debut last weekend. Just to put that drop in perspective, recent DC Films saw significantly larger second weekend dips as Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice fell 69% in its second weekend, Suicide Squad dropped 67% and Man of Steel dipped 65%.
          The only two movies to have a better second week are Raimi's Spider-Man and Batman Begins.

It seems to be a trend with well-received first movies. IM, Thor and Strange dropped right around 50%. Everything else is in the 55-60% range.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

She surpassed Batman VS Superman domestically at the box office this weekend, good word of mouth makes a world of difference don't it?
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• phil
              Persistent Member
              • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
              She surpassed Batman VS Superman domestically at the box office this weekend, good word of mouth makes a world of difference don't it?
              Exactly. Good word of mouth will bring in people that wouldn't automatically go see the movie.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Well-deserved. So happy to see this going over so well.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• johnnystorm
                  Hot Child in the City
                  • Jul 3, 2008

We went Saturday night and thoroughly enjoyed the film! I can honestly say this was one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen.
                  Gal Gadot was awesome in the role, and Chris Pine was a good choice for Steve Trevor. Trevor was a character from the comics that I never liked, but I liked him in this film.
                  Also, gotta mention Robin Wright (from Princess to Queen) & David Thewlis (who was great here as well as in this Season of Fargo). In all the excitement over Gal Gadot, their performances aren't getting much attention, and both were excellent.

My wife really was impressed by Gal Gadot, and thought she looked "just gorgeous!".

If I had only one complaint, it would be the JLA trailer they showed in Previews, which looks just god-awful. You can see that as much as this movie nails the essence of Wonder Woman, Justice League totally has no clue on the other heroes, especially Aquaman.
                  Last edited by johnnystorm; Jun 26, '17, 9:54 PM.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by johnnystorm
                    If I had only one complaint, it would be the JLA trailer they showed in Previews, which looks just god-awful. You can see that as much as this movie nails the essence of Wonder Woman, Justice League totally has no clue on the other heroes, especially Aquaman.
                    The overall JL movie may be changing a bit between Joss Whedon's "assistance" and the suits as WB and DC seeing how well Wonder Woman worked. I don't think they'll completely alter what Snyder has filmed thus far, but I have heard they're doing some reshoots and filming some additional scenes, hopefully in an effort to make it a bit less dark and ponderous...
                    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by libby 1957dog
                      here you go pal this will help hold you over or push you over the edge

2.14 too funny

shes is a top ,top bird in my book , nice to see some hollywood folk that dont have their thumb up their own arse and being so precious about their "craft"

Not only is she gorgeous...but her personality, humor, and pure coolness...makes her even more beautiful...she has zero vanity, zero pretentiousness, not stuck up at all...she rocks...

sigpic

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                        Persistent Member
                        • Sep 3, 2009

you got that right buddy

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 20, 2011

Yep. What you and Hector above you said, libby. Still haven't managed to get in to see WW, but GG is already my new big screen crush! If only I were 20 years younger...!
                          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                            If only I were 20 years younger...!
                            That's not stopping me...not one bit...

sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Hector
                              That's not stopping me...not one bit...

That doesn't surprise me one bit, Hec! And heck, we can all dream, can't we?

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

Yes, we can sure dream, lol...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎