X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

"Doomed" FF Doc on Amazon Prime

Doomed, the documentary covering the unreleased Roger Corman Fantastic Four film is now on Amazon Prime, so if you are a Prime member, you can watch it for free.

I just finished it, and it's really well done. You really feel for the people who made it, although none of them are as bitter as you might think.

If you're a fan of the FF, and enjoy the movie on any level (pure cheese factor, the fact it's got a lot of heart, minus any budget) then I recommend it.

Chris
    sigpic
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

It's so strange... I think I'm going senile, but I can't remember if I actually ever saw the film or not. I think I did, but... not sure.

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

wow...he actually got it finished and released. Good for him. I'll have to check it out.

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Oh wow, thanks for the heads up, I've been meaning to see this, I'm going to add this to my watch list!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

It's so strange... I think I'm going senile, but I can't remember if I actually ever saw the film or not. I think I did, but... not sure.
          The FF film itself...it's got a lot of heart. Everyone is really trying, convinced they are making a good movie. The Thing is actually pretty good for the time, reminding me a lot of the original TMNT suits.

Dr. Doom is the best portrayal we've seen yet. Looks like him, act likes him. "Real" Hollywood can't figure it out, but Corman's crew did.

That said the effects are pretty awful (they get into why in the documentary), and of course it's only available in bootleg so the film itself has little chance of looking good, being a transfer of a transfer of a transfer, and so on.

I wouldn't say it's better than the Tim Story films, because I actually like those, despite their flaws. But I think this one feels more like the comic FF.

I've never seen Fan4stic. Don't have much desire to.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

watched it last night, it's well done but kind of belabors it's point.

I do think that given a ten million dollar budget, it would have been an epic film. As it stands now, it's better than a lot of comic book movies. I also don't hate the Fox movies, except for the millennial bs they brought out last year, i never got through the first 20 minutes of that.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

In Corman's, I never could get over the age difference between Reed and Sue. That first scene Sue's a teen, Reed's like 35. And everybody is kewl with it.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                Permanent Member
                • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by palitoy
                watched it last night, it's well done but kind of belabors it's point.

I do think that given a ten million dollar budget, it would have been an epic film. As it stands now, it's better than a lot of comic book movies. I also don't hate the Fox movies, except for the millennial bs they brought out last year, i never got through the first 20 minutes of that.
                In 20 years documentary of the story behind Fant4stic will be more interesting than Doomed.

Comment

• WannabeMego
                  Made in the USA
                  • May 2, 2003

Finished watching it Today...Pretty Good. Would be Nice to Add to a DVD Release of the Movie, but it didn't have much I didn't know already.

Had a pretty decent copy of the Movie, but can't find it for the life of me...must have loaned it out and never got it back :(

Seems like a lot of 'Comic' Related Documentaries are popping up recently.
                  Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

One of the weirder things i noticed was Chris Gore acting like he didn't know it was a sham, his piece in film threat that year was so "wink wink" that i find that completely suspect.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

In Corman's, I never could get over the age difference between Reed and Sue. That first scene Sue's a teen, Reed's like 35. And everybody is kewl with it.
                      That creepy element was actually from the comics. Reed was originally intended to be quite a bit older than Sue. Or at some point he was, as they kept Reed and Ben tied to their WWII service for longer than they probably should have. Flashbacks showed Reed living with the Storms, and Sue had the crush on him, just like the movie. It does seem a bit skeevy.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

^ I wasn't aware of that in detail, but I thought Sue was a college student of Reed's, and he was a younger professor even so. I'm sure it's all been retconned.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

I seem to recall an editor's note when Reed mentioned "his girl back home" during a flash back something along the lines of "Reed must have served in Korea too because Sue was too young during WW2" It was weird.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

Fascinating documentary.
                            I've always liked the Corman FF movie. It has heart, and the Thing's facial articulation is cool.
                            The Doctor Doom mask they made is also better than any of the subsequent film versions.
                            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• ODBJBG
                              Permanent Member
                              • May 15, 2009

I still contend it's the best FF movie.

This documentary is also on Hulu and has been for a while, if you're a paying Hulu member.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎