Seth MacFarlane's "The Orville"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ProfessorArturoLived
    • Sep 22, 2017

I had low expectations going into it and only now caught up on the first four episodes. I'm in for the rest of the season. Thoroughly enjoying it so far.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Last night's episode was great...the practical jokes were freaking hysterical!

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Another fun episode. Enjoying this show, hope it sticks around.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

It seems to be getting better and better --- not sure if it's actually the stories or am I just settling into it.

I just hope CBS doesn't start sh_t ........ If they are low enough to go after youtube fan videos they most definitely will go after this.

Only saving grace is MacFarlane seems to have a very good legal staff for this (see Family Guy)

Comment

• Makernaut
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 22, 2015

I'm enjoying "The Orville". Thought the pilot ep was so-so, but it has really been fun to watch as the weeks go on.

Comment

• pmwasson
              Maker
              • Sep 12, 2007

I wonder if Seth MacFarlane pitched it as a farce to get it approved given his history, but actually wanted to make more of a homage to Star Trek.
              That would explain why the tone of the first episode is so different from the subsequent ones.
              sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Makernaut
                I'm enjoying "The Orville". Thought the pilot ep was so-so, but it has really been fun to watch as the weeks go on.
                Yup. I actually sort of hated the first episode...it was the constant bickering between MacFarlane and his ex. Thank goodness they eased up on that. Now, it's a must watch for me...I love it now, lol.

Man, they are bringing the big guns. Liam Nessan, Charlize Theron...and there are rumors that past Star Trek actors might show up as well...

This is the 2000s version of The Next Generation...with a little added humor.

The Orville is fun. ST Discovery is dread.
                sigpic

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                  valar morghulis
                  • Mar 8, 2005

The "finding a vein" line was a belly laugh for me

Comment

• enyawd72
                    Maker of Monsters!
                    • Oct 1, 2009

^The Mr. Potato Head bit had me rolling...I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Just watched the one with Charlize Theron

How does somebody get hotter with age ? ..... seriously ?

She's like a freaking Goddess

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 20, 2011

"Perhaps she fears you are not sexually adequate." Probably my absolutely favorite line from Episode 4 since I haven't watched Episode 5, yet.

Yeah, I was not big on the pilot episode either, but now the show is making me eat my words as it's one of the "must sees" on my short list of teevee shows.
                        Last edited by emeraldknight47; Oct 9, '17, 12:19 AM. Reason: Typo
                        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Makernaut
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Mikey

I don't know, but she was quite fetching in the role and I love that she was in it the ep.

That makes me wonder: since she and Liam Neeson (both in "A Million Ways to Die in the West") have made guest appearances, what is the likelihood of some of the other folks McFarlane has worked with turning up in an ep? He's a bit like Tarantino and The Coen Bros. in that he likes a having a troop of people he enjoys working with and he calls on them again and again. Could we see Mila Kunis? Mark Wahlberg? Giovanni Ribisi? Dare I say.....Sam Jones?

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey

Agreed...

sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 22, 2015

I just now dinged in that the "Pria" episode was directed by Jonathan Frakes.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                                Talkative Member
                                • Jun 20, 2011

Just finished "Pria", and, aside from being utterly blinded by Charlize Theron's good looks (oh, that kiss! Seth McFarlane, you lucky bastitch!), one of the first things I noticed WAS that this episode was directed by Jonathan Frakes, so it's not surprising it was a great episode.

I found the character of Pria intriguing and hope that, since they didn't actually kill her off, she can make a few return appearances on the show, sort of like Q on ST: TNG. Guess it just depends on whether or not CT feels like reprising the role (which I hope she does).

For a program that started off as something I didn't care for, The Orville has quickly grown to become one of my favorite new shows of the, admittedly, young new TV season. The pilot felt really uneven, but it has gained it's footing and now I like to think of it in the same way I approached BTVS; it's a hybridization of two genres, sci-fi and comedy (Buffy was horror/fantasy and comedy), that shouldn't work, but thankfully, they do.

This episode boasted some really super-nice VFX, too, from the comet hurtling towards the star, to the 29th Century space station and especially that ride through the dark matter cluster. It has effects that should actually make some motion picture sci-fi jealous. Not sure what it's budget is, but it looks like they are dollars well spent.

Looking forward to this week's episode with the Krill...
                                sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎