Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

Third episode was definitely the best so far. The humor felt more organic and spontaneous and less shoehorned in. It was, at least in this episode, sprinkled in sparingly and felt more like extensions of how people might actually be, even in the future that The Orville is set in.

Gene Roddenberry's TREK universe presented us with a vision of humanity that had pretty much shed ALL of it's bad habits and vices; the human species presented in The Orville is thisclose to being that squeaky clean, but still retains remnants of the human species as we know it today; people who still swear, still make lude and lascivious comments and people who still enjoy a beer from time to time.

If it sounds like I'm doing a 180 on my opinion of The Orville, it's because Thursday night's episode gave me a show that was similar to the first two episodes, but also made drastic leaps forward in quality, character development, writing and directing. If The Orville can maintain the standards set by its third episode, it has the potential to become a welcome addition to my weekly recording ritual,

Now we just have to see what Sunday brings with STAR TREK: DISCOVERY...
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• pmwasson
      Maker
      • Sep 12, 2007

I agree. The show is growing on me.
      sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

It definitely has potential. If they dial back the over the top "Family Guy" style humor and settle into more of a "Firefly" kind of funny, I think they could really have something. I like the idea of a Star Trek show where the characters are flawed, without needing a "dark and gritty" tone.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Super digging it, the latest episode was unexpectedly well done.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by sprytel
            It definitely has potential. If they dial back the over the top "Family Guy" style humor and settle into more of a "Firefly" kind of funny, I think they could really have something. I like the idea of a Star Trek show where the characters are flawed, without needing a "dark and gritty" tone.
            My thoughts exactly. For me, the show's weakest aspect is McFarlane himself falling back on Family Guy-style vulgarity as a means of humor.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

I didn't like the first episode, but 2 and 3 has me more on board.

I'm slowly getting used to the drama/comedy combination.
              sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

I agree with you guys, tone down the Family Guy humor...still have humor, but make it more subtle and natural.
                sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Hey Hec, do you know if the Mexican Bandit in the Holodeck was El Guapo ?

It really looked and sounded like him but I see no credit for that character on the internet ... It also say's El Guapo is 85 years old so maybe it wasn't him --- but i'd bet my left nut it was.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

No, it was not Alfonso Arau. Funny scene though...

sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Wow, what a big cameo on episode 4

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Yeah, it was indeed a big cameo, big star ( I'll post his name below under a spoiler warning).

Next week, Charlize Theron, wow.

Episode 4 was the best one yet...I loved it. The Orville is getting better and better.

I've only seen one Star Trek Discovery, as I've have not yet subscribed to CBS All Access...but just judging that lone premier episode vs The Orville episode 4, no contest...The Orville is better. It really is a true cousin to Star Trek The Next Generation, but with some humor here and there...

***Spoiler***

Liam Nesson.
                        Last edited by Hector; Sep 30, '17, 10:54 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

• bleit1701
                          Career Member
                          • Jan 1, 2009

Did anyone else think the music used as they approached the bio-ship was very similar to Star Trek TMP V'ger music?
                          Better late than never.....

Comment

• knight errant00
                            8 Inch Action Figure
                            • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by bleit1701
                            Did anyone else think the music used as they approached the bio-ship was very similar to Star Trek TMP V'ger music?
                            Yes. I noticed it, too.

But I'll still say, though this week was their strongest episode they really need to decide what the show is -- it's not funny enough to be a comedy, and it's too goofy to be real SF adventure. I don't think it can find a substantial enough audience in its current state.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 23, 2013

I thought that I detected a hint of TOS style suspense music.

Comment

• enyawd72
                                Maker of Monsters!
                                • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by knight errant00
                                Yes. I noticed it, too.

But I'll still say, though this week was their strongest episode they really need to decide what the show is -- it's not funny enough to be a comedy, and it's too goofy to be real SF adventure. I don't think it can find a substantial enough audience in its current state.
                                I think they have struck the perfect balance. I was genuinely interested and concerned in what was happening last episode but still had several belly laughs. My favorite? Interrogator holds up tiny syringe..."Do you know what this is?" Kelly: "A lifesize model of your penis?" LOL

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎