X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by pmwasson
    I liked the second episode more than the first. I'll keep watching for now.
    Yes, it was better, and I'll give it a few more tries.

But my question...on Lt. Commander Bortus, the second officer aboard the U.S.S. Orville. Bortus is a Moclan, a single-gender species. So Bortus asks for "maternity" leave as he just laid an egg (lol). Why is Captain Mercer surprised and shocked??? You would think these Aliens are familiar to the human crew. Doesn't the crew follow protocol and go through courses on alien relations at the academy? Why would you allow an alien species to be part of your crew without knowing anything about them? What if an alien burps and releases a deadly toxin that can kill the entire crew?

sigpic

Comment

• knight errant00
      8 Inch Action Figure
      • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by Hector
      But my question...on Lt. Commander Bortus, the second officer aboard the U.S.S. Orville. Bortus is a Moclan, a single-gender species. So Bortus asks for "maternity" leave as he just laid an egg (lol). Why is Captain Mercer surprised and shocked??? You would think these Aliens are familiar to the human crew. Doesn't the crew follow protocol and go through courses on alien relations at the academy? Why would you allow an alien species to be part of your crew without knowing anything about them? What if an alien burps and releases a deadly toxin that can kill the entire crew?
      All the ideas to explore and play with to make it funny that they're not doing . . .

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

2nd episode got bumper for a damn football game. I hate football....and baseball for that matter. always drives me crazy when they go into overtime and my shows get pre empted

Comment

• Brue
          User without title
          • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by pmwasson
          I liked the second episode more than the first. I'll keep watching for now.
          I had not planned on watching. But I did. I agree. Better than the first.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 20, 2011

Episode Two definitely better than the pilot, but enough with the Captain and his ex-wife schtick; talk about beating a dead horse. After all, you know in the grand scheme of things, the two of them are gonna wind up back in the sack together at some point.

The design of the ship is growing on me, but it still seems a little fragile for any type of interstellar travel; those three propulsion fins seem really vulnerable to breaking---a lot. Am I the only one operating under the assumption that The Orville seems to not possess transporter technology? Maybe they just haven't had a chance to fine tune the VFX for it, yet.

BTW, if you watch the opening credits of VOYAGER and THE ORVILLE side by side, lots of similar shots. Coincidence or intention?

Not sure of it following GOTHAM, either. Seems like it might be a little too---lightweight to follow Gotham's heft, but maybe people will like the levity coming off Gotham's dark tone and subject matter. As an added bonus, putting it on on Thursday DOES get it away from freakin' football, which inevitably runs over and seems to pre-empt anyone else's viewing choices....
            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

It's not my favorite "Star Trek" show but I would put it way above Voyager and Enterprise

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                valar morghulis
                • Mar 8, 2005

I was curious when we might see an episode not written by MacFarlane, and.. we won't! According to IMDB, all 13 eps of this initial run were penned by MacFarlane. Only the final 13th episode has a second writer also given a credit.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I find it pleasant but yeah, it's tonally weird.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• knight errant00
                    8 Inch Action Figure
                    • Nov 15, 2005

[QUOTE=emeraldknight47;1340403]BTW, if you watch the opening credits of VOYAGER and THE ORVILLE side by side, lots of similar shots. Coincidence or intention? /QUOTE]

I thought the same thing. It's gotta be on purpose.

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Bortus tending to his egg had me rolling...very disturbing, but very funny too, lol...
                      sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

One thing I thought was weird is how much Trek-like it is but they don't have transporters.

I'm guessing CBS can't own the concept considering Doctor Who has had tansmats forever.

Comment

• The Bat
                          Batman Fanatic
                          • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Mikey
                          One thing I thought was weird is how much Trek-like it is but they don't have transporters.

I'm guessing CBS can't own the concept considering Doctor Who has had tansmats forever.
                          I was thinking about that too. And yet the Aliens that abducted them had Transporters that beamed them all the way to their Planet.
                          sigpic

Comment

• phil
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 11, 2007

The idea of Transporters, under different names, is older than Star Trek.

Comment

• knight errant00
                              8 Inch Action Figure
                              • Nov 15, 2005

Perhaps transporters will be a plot point as the show proceeds (new technology to be implemented).

Or maybe their lawyers said that, with everything else, transporters would push the show over the copyright line and invite trouble from CBS (how I've read is not happy about The Orville stealing Discovery's thunder and having so many Trek alums involved to making the new Trek look less legit compared to its knockoff).

Comment

• Mikey
                                Verbose Member
                                • Aug 9, 2001

Liked the third episode best of the first three so far.

BTW, loved the El Guapo cameo

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎