Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234569141924 ... LastLast

Thread: Seth MacFarlane's "The Orville"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
    Spock? Zach Quinto is the perfect Nimoy replacement. Then there is original Spock played by Nimoy, suppose that was ok, too. I don't see the uniform material being altered for copyright issues, its just overly detailed like everything else these days. See Superman or Spider-Man for more of that nonsense.
    I think the point the video was making (not very clearly) was that for licensed merchandise the Paramount/Abrams things have to look different than the classic TOS so that they can be differentiated (action figures, Halloween costumes, etc.), not so it;s different on screen.

Yes, it sounds like a bunch of lawyers running up the billable hours to create complicated arrangements, and then making the arrangements complicated to generate more billable hours later.

I hope BOTH shows don't fail......I really don't get why people want one or the other to fail miserably,they both look like fun,lol. Just hope STD doen't go too dark and gritty,I'm so bloody bored with those shows these days.

And it'd be great if McFarlane got the rights to McFarlane's show too,lol! I'd love some Orville merch!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JRT! View Post
    I hope BOTH shows don't fail......I really don't get why people want one or the other to fail miserably,they both look like fun,lol. Just hope STD doen't go too dark and gritty,I'm so bloody bored with those shows these days.
    I agree. I'm looking forward to both.

Quote Originally Posted by JRT! View Post

And it'd be great if McFarlane got the rights to McFarlane's show too,lol! I'd love some Orville merch!
    I agree too. I'm watching both Discovery and The Orville.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by knight errant00 View Post
    I think the point the video was making (not very clearly) was that for licensed merchandise the Paramount/Abrams things have to look different than the classic TOS so that they can be differentiated (action figures, Halloween costumes, etc.), not so it;s different on screen.

Yes, it sounds like a bunch of lawyers running up the billable hours to create complicated arrangements, and then making the arrangements complicated to generate more billable hours later.
    Yep, I got that too. Lonnie is the one that didn't get it.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Images

Blog Entries
    Not a great start but I can't remember how many "disasters" I've ended up enjoying.

Images
    I still have hope for this and have my fingers crossed that the reviewer told us of the sh*tty sunset he witnessed ....while facing EAST.

On the other side of the coin, it's a 9/10:

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/tv-r...1-pilot-486-02

I think the common thread with both reviews is that viewers may be expecting a raunchy Seth McFarlane comedy, but the show is actually a straightforward sci-fi drama with some comedy elements. They may want to be careful how it is marketed, because people immediately associate McFarlane's name with comedy silliness.

Don't forget, the man recorded a 100% straightforward crooner style Christmas Album.
    PLEASE HELP ME WITH THESE CARDS:

Images
    They are setting it up for failure if they keep promoting it as a straight up comedy. People hate when their expectations aren't met, regardless of quality. I ran a movie theatre for years and the most hated movies had one thing in common, they were promoted as something they're not (Drive, Our Idiot Brother are the two best examples I can think of).