X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Mikey
    Same here and there's a lot of people who feel the same way.

To be honest I hope Discovery crashes and burns from the start just to spite CBS for not going the classic familiar route (which would have been an easy win)
    I found that the problem here is it's not CBS making it, it's Paramount. That's why it CAN'T look like the original series. They don't have the rights to use anything resembling the original show. That's why everything looks different. CBS needs to make a new series taking place in the same time as the original series, but on a different ship. That way they could write stories that intertwine with the original series stories. That would be very cool!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

CBS owns the rights to the television series', Paramount owns the rights to the movies. Since the first movie had a totally different look, Paramount can't make anything that looks like the TV show. The combined look of the two original phaser styles is probably as close as anything will come to the original series style. I want it to fail so CBS can do what the fans want and make something in the original series timeline.
      At least there are two more episodes of "Continues" left!!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

The Orville starts on September 10th!! It's going to be awesome. I'm expecting it to be even better than Galaxy Quest.

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

And here's my pic for Captain Pike...Paul Wesley. He's about 34/35...the same age Shatner was when he started playing Kirk.

sigpic

Comment

• toothaction
            Career Member
            • Jul 15, 2017

I loath Seth MacFarlane, or at least his cartoon ventures, but I suppose I wasn't big on Tim Allen, and Galaxy Quest was the whip, so...
            >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
              CBS owns the rights to the television series', Paramount owns the rights to the movies. Since the first movie had a totally different look, Paramount can't make anything that looks like the TV show. The combined look of the two original phaser styles is probably as close as anything will come to the original series style. I want it to fail so CBS can do what the fans want and make something in the original series timeline.
              At least there are two more episodes of "Continues" left!!
              If Paramount can't make anything that looks like the original show, please explain the new Star Trek movies to me. Basically the same Enterprise...TOS uniforms in gold, blue, and red...I'm confused here.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by enyawd72
                If Paramount can't make anything that looks like the original show, please explain the new Star Trek movies to me. Basically the same Enterprise...TOS uniforms in gold, blue, and red...I'm confused here.
                And the same characters and all, I don't buy that whole CBS/Paramount deal.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

NY Times article from this year stating that CBS AND Paramount own the rights to the movies and series
                  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/21/m...ettlement.html

Maybe its fake news.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
                    The uniform material isn't solid color, it's got details in it, and that's to make it look unlike the original. The ships don't have round nacelles. The phasers have a tip that flips. Are you kidding? Nothing looks like it came from the original series. In the first Trek movie, they changed everything. Nothing has looked like the original series, except the animated series, and DS9's time travel episode with the tribbles. Please let me know if you find an example of something that looks exact to the original series. Even the movie tribble looked different than the original series.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

Watch this video at 10:50, it'll explain in more detail than I ever could.

After numerous delays, the CBS All Access series Star Trek Discovery is now set to premiere on September 24th of 2017. The road there has been and continues ...

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

The uniform material isn't solid color, it's got details in it, and that's to make it look unlike the original. The ships don't have round nacelles. The phasers have a tip that flips. Are you kidding? Nothing looks like it came from the original series. In the first Trek movie, they changed everything. Nothing has looked like the original series, except the animated series, and DS9's time travel episode with the tribbles. Please let me know if you find an example of something that looks exact to the original series. Even the movie tribble looked different than the original series.
                        What reimagined costumes today DON'T have textures added to them? I never gave the new uniforms a second thought as being very much different from the originals...just slightly updated. Same with the Enterprise. The new Trek uniforms were closer to the originals than Henry Cavill's Superman suit was to Christopher Reeves.

Comment

• enyawd72
                          Maker of Monsters!
                          • Oct 1, 2009

Watch this video at 10:50, it'll explain in more detail than I ever could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQcLLfzzKWA
                          Meh. Sounds like a bunch of lawyers with too much free time on their hands. The new series is using the raised pattern on the uniforms "turned at 20 degrees" LOL...like anybody would even notice. At the end of the day this new series is gonna suck harder than a Dyson vacuum and die a quick death.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Jan 19, 2008

It sure doesn't help the new "Trek" that The Orville starts a couple of weeks sooner than it does. I already love The Orville, just from the trailers.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Spock? Zach Quinto is the perfect Nimoy replacement. Then there is original Spock played by Nimoy, suppose that was ok, too. I don't see the uniform material being altered for copyright issues, its just overly detailed like everything else these days. See Superman or Spider-Man for more of that nonsense.

Comment

• The Bat
                                Batman Fanatic
                                • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                                Spock? Zach Quinto is the perfect Nimoy replacement. Then there is original Spock played by Nimoy, suppose that was ok, too. I don't see the uniform material being altered for copyright issues, its just overly detailed like everything else these days. See Superman or Spider-Man for more of that nonsense.
                                BINGO!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎