X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knight errant00
    8 Inch Action Figure
    • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by thunderbolt
    Spock? Zach Quinto is the perfect Nimoy replacement. Then there is original Spock played by Nimoy, suppose that was ok, too. I don't see the uniform material being altered for copyright issues, its just overly detailed like everything else these days. See Superman or Spider-Man for more of that nonsense.
    I think the point the video was making (not very clearly) was that for licensed merchandise the Paramount/Abrams things have to look different than the classic TOS so that they can be differentiated (action figures, Halloween costumes, etc.), not so it;s different on screen.

Yes, it sounds like a bunch of lawyers running up the billable hours to create complicated arrangements, and then making the arrangements complicated to generate more billable hours later.

Comment

• JRT!
      Museum Super Collector
      • Sep 6, 2015

I hope BOTH shows don't fail......I really don't get why people want one or the other to fail miserably,they both look like fun,lol. Just hope STD doen't go too dark and gritty,I'm so bloody bored with those shows these days.

And it'd be great if McFarlane got the rights to McFarlane's show too,lol! I'd love some Orville merch!

Comment

• pmwasson
        Maker
        • Sep 12, 2007

Originally posted by JRT!
        I hope BOTH shows don't fail......I really don't get why people want one or the other to fail miserably,they both look like fun,lol. Just hope STD doen't go too dark and gritty,I'm so bloody bored with those shows these days.
        I agree. I'm looking forward to both.
        sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by JRT!

And it'd be great if McFarlane got the rights to McFarlane's show too,lol! I'd love some Orville merch!
          I agree too. I'm watching both Discovery and The Orville.
          sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by knight errant00
            I think the point the video was making (not very clearly) was that for licensed merchandise the Paramount/Abrams things have to look different than the classic TOS so that they can be differentiated (action figures, Halloween costumes, etc.), not so it;s different on screen.

Yes, it sounds like a bunch of lawyers running up the billable hours to create complicated arrangements, and then making the arrangements complicated to generate more billable hours later.
            Yep, I got that too. Lonnie is the one that didn't get it.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
              valar morghulis
              • Mar 8, 2005

Ouch.

Seth MacFarlane's somber, derivative new show "The Orville" isn't the "Family Guy"-in-space comedy you were promised. It's much worse.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Not a great start but I can't remember how many "disasters" I've ended up enjoying.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Makernaut
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 22, 2015

I still have hope for this and have my fingers crossed that the reviewer told us of the sh*tty sunset he witnessed ....while facing EAST.

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

On the other side of the coin, it's a 9/10:

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/tv-r...1-pilot-486-02

I think the common thread with both reviews is that viewers may be expecting a raunchy Seth McFarlane comedy, but the show is actually a straightforward sci-fi drama with some comedy elements. They may want to be careful how it is marketed, because people immediately associate McFarlane's name with comedy silliness.

Don't forget, the man recorded a 100% straightforward crooner style Christmas Album.

Comment

• Goblin19
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 2, 2002

They are setting it up for failure if they keep promoting it as a straight up comedy. People hate when their expectations aren't met, regardless of quality. I ran a movie theatre for years and the most hated movies had one thing in common, they were promoted as something they're not (Drive, Our Idiot Brother are the two best examples I can think of).

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

yeah, they seem to be struggling with how to promote it. I'm actually glad to hear it isn't super jokey.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• fallensaviour
                          Talkative Member
                          • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                          I'm actually glad to hear it isn't super jokey.
                          Same here,actually really looking forward to this show.
                          “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• pmwasson
                            Maker
                            • Sep 12, 2007

I thought it was okay. I'll watch some more episodes.
                            sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 20, 2011

Watched it and it was okay. Can't seem to decide if it wants to be a science fiction show or a comedy, but the comedy bits felt really forced and shoe-horned in, very unnatural. Shows like Buffy/Angel, X-Files, Supernatural and even Ash vs. Evil Dead have found a way to balance the humor and the drama without either feeling forced. Even "GalaxyQuest" was able to bring humor and drama together much more naturally, but a large portion of that could have been due to the cast. The whole "we're a divorced couple; let's interject that into everything" schtick got old pretty fast. I'll watch a few more episodes to see if they're able to smooth it out.

Ship designs were OK, although The Orville itself seems a bit to fragile for much of anything beyond simple exploration. As was evidenced from the premiere episode, it's definitely not a ship designed for battle, especially with something that clearly outclasses it. Can't say much for the uniforms or weaponry; both unoriginal and, of course, blantantly derivative of other sci-fi shows.
                              sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                                valar morghulis
                                • Mar 8, 2005

I actually quite enjoyed the first half, and I quite a bit too. The second half lost/bored me a bit with the aliens, firefight on the planet etc, but all in all I liked the show more than I thought I would.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎