Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

This was a superb conversation. I chuckled when Brian described Robert Forster as "So Rochester", because he's right. He sounds like one of my Dad's 70's co-workers from Eastman Kodak when we were growing up.

As for the merits of the film itself, it was pointed out how it (like Star Trek TMP) was marketed to Star Wars kids, but ultimately failed at being like Star Wars. I like to embrace the film and love it for what it is, not for what it isn't. The fact that it is darker, weirder, and tonally and narratively inconsistent is part of the appeal and charm of this film. It's beautiful to look at, has some of the best robots ever put on film, is a real head trip, and deserves more love I think.

In.. through.. and beyond!!!

Comment

• Allie Fox
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 1, 2009

I listened tho this episode again this morning and I'll stand by my earlier comment. This was the best PodStallions ever.

You must find a way to have David Weiner on more often.

...and to make a suggestion, How about a show about all of the copycat movies that came out post-Star Wars and maybe even Post-Raiders of the Lost Ark?
      If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• acrovader
        Career Member
        • Jan 19, 2011

'The Black Hole' plays out like a classic haunted house movie. I didn't see it in the theater but saw it once it made its way to HBO. I have the figures (not the 2nd series, though). I also have it on the dvd- the one with the screwed up sound. I can't remember how I thought of it when I was a kid. I generally liked anything remotely 'Star Wars'. The movie has not held up well. It's too dry and bland. Even the action scenes aren't all that exciting. The human actors are too dull. The robots are the only thing I like about the movie (and the Cygnus).
        I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Allie Fox
          I listened tho this episode again this morning and I'll stand by my earlier comment. This was the best PodStallions ever.

...and to make a suggestion, How about a show about all of the copycat movies that came out post-Star Wars and maybe even Post-Raiders of the Lost Ark?
          This feedback is the reason David is in our next show. It was perfect timing for him being involved.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

Please tell me he'll be on for the Dune episode.

Comment

• tmthor
              God of Knock-offs
              • Nov 29, 2005

lol before you guys do the Dune episode do one for all the Filmation animated series we had in the 70's and their live action ones as well.

Comment

• Allie Fox
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 1, 2009

Done! I eagerly await the DUNE episode.

OOOPS!!! after scrolling through the old episodes I discovered at least the Star Wars copycats were discussed in Episode 7 - Battle Beyond the Star Wars (not The Force Awakens).

But nothing at all on Indiana Jones or the knock-offs. I think I know the next episode...
                Last edited by Allie Fox; Jul 12, '18, 1:11 PM.
                If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

I found my DUNE Glossary they gave out from the original theatrical run, just so I can understand what Jason is talking about when the Dune episode eventually (or maybe never) drops.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎