X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

New Funko Batmobile pic

Wanted to post a pic of the new 66 Batmobile from Funko.

I'm glad they made it but it has some serious drawbacks...they went very light on the paint apps and details. No radar sensor, antenna, or dashboard details of any kind, and the proportions are way off.

The most glaring issue is the length. They really shortened the entire car, and it's very noticeable in hand, at least to me. It looks better from certain angles, but since the figures are 1:18 scale, I may be replacing this Batmobile with the super accurate 1:18 Hot Wheels die-cast version. It has opening doors, hood, trunk, and all the bells and whistles.

Here are some comparisons next to the Hot Wheels version...as you can see, the rear fins are much too short. It just doesn't look right at all.

1966 Batmobile short.jpg
    1966 Batmobile long.jpg
  • Boris71
    GeekBot' For Life
    • May 13, 2007

On the other hand in fairness the funko batmobile seems to be in the tradition of the retro 4" toy stuff that it is supposed to be, much like what mego would turn out in the late seventies early eighties, and some of the kenner stuff as well, and let's not forget here that the hot wheels one was like 150 with no figures compared to 50 with 2 articulated figures from funko
    Check out my Electronic Mag here Psycho Styrene Modeling Magazine

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Funko's art director on the line did say they were trying to achieve a classic toy aesthetic with this line. I haven't seen the car in person yet, so I'll reserve judgement, but they weren't going for complete screen accuracy it seems.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• phil
        Persistent Member
        • May 11, 2007

I do like that they made the Batmobile and the figures look like toys rather than collectibles. The figures not fitting in the Batmobile is my only real problem with it.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          Funko's art director on the line did say they were trying to achieve a classic toy aesthetic with this line. I haven't seen the car in person yet, so I'll reserve judgement, but they weren't going for complete screen accuracy it seems.

Chris
          Ahhh...the old "We made it look cheap on purpose!" line...LOL
          No, I'm only kidding...it's not really that big a deal. I just know some Batmobile collectors are pretty particular about the accuracy, but I get what you mean...it was rescaled for the figures just like Kenner's Star Wars vehicles.

Comment

• ODBJBG
            Permanent Member
            • May 15, 2009

This is nothing new. It was known when they showed the prototypes that the Batmobile would be "squished" to a smaller size. In part to make it toyetic and in part because the design of the 66 Batmobile is so long it would make the car too big for the price point they were trying to hit. The figures are around $10 each, so for the Batmobile to be $35, you're only paying about $15 for the car itself.

I don't think it's fair to compare to the Hot Wheels version, but that does make a decent alternate so long as you're willing to spend the extra dough on it.

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Yes, I bet it has everything to do with how big the box dimensions end up being. It it is to be sold at brick and mortar retailers, I'm sure they have to make every effort to confine the dimensions of that box to a certain size.

Certainly not a dealbreaker, but as others have said, just think of it like the Kenner X-Wing.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

The always reliable Michael Crawford has a nice review of the set. I still haven't got mine!

In Depth Review and Photos of the 1966 TV Batman, Robin, Batmobile action figures - Another Pop Culture Collectible Review by Captain Toy

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Great review. I love the comparison with Mattel... it shows they really got the subtle purple in Batman's tights correct.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                    Museum Paramedic
                    • Aug 31, 2005

Overall, all looks pretty good, but it seems like the caped crusaders need cloth capes.

- Ian
                    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Bantha5
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • May 2, 2013

Cloth capes will not be difficult to make. Robin on the other hand just looks, odd.

Comment

• starsky
                        veteran member
                        • Aug 26, 2007

it reminds me a lot of mego's pocket heroes batmobile. i'm wondering if the mego figures fit in the funko batmobile?

Comment

• LordMudd
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 22, 2011

They should.

CCC.

Comment

• michael crawford
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Dec 15, 2008

Yea, they are about the same size. I reviewed this set last week - http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-052617a.htm

Oops - never mind! I see the fine folks here already posted about the review...thanks!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

Got mine yesterday. Yeah, the capes should have been cloth, but I managed to get them in there fairly easily and they look good. I do actually enjoy the "toyetic" nature of them. It made me try it out on the floor. It makes a nice zippy sound when it rolls.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎