Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WannabeMego
    Made in the USA
    • May 2, 2003

Saw it with the Kid at Morning Matinee...We both enjoyed it a lot.

Ranks as My Favorite Spider-Man of the Six.

Best way I can describe it without spoiling it is that 'it makes sense' and they totally captured the 'youth' of Spider-Man/Peter Parker...wish I could say more then that.

Would definitely pay to see it again, though I still haven't seen Wonder Woman yet.
    Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

If you want to know about Jameson SPOILERS below

He's not in it. I think they know they can't possibly cast anybody better than JK Simmons, and DC snatched him up for Commissioner Gordon. This is Spidey REALLY early in his career, so maybe it will take him a while to get to the Bugle...if at all.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
        ...especially had they gone back and used a more organic Goblin design and NOT a Power Ranger....

Yeah, the results that they achieved with the GG "animatronic/make up hybrid" tests were awesome.
        They seriously should have gone with this instead of that expressionless metal mask we ended up with.

Originally posted by The Bat
        I just have one question...are Mary Jane & Gwen Stacy in it?

Possible SPOILERS in reply...

No Gwen.
        Although strangely, we do get Betty Brant inexplicably sporting Gwen's trademark blonde hair and hairband.
        As for MJ...
        Let's just say... not as we know her.
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
          As for MJ...
          Let's just say... not as we know her.

Let me guess...they changed her Race right? So she's what, Asian, black, Hispanic?
          sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

Let me guess...they changed her Race right? So she's what, Asian, black, Hispanic?

SPOILER ALERT............

Not just her race, but the character's name and her very identity, too. Essentially, Mary Jane Watson does not exist in the movie. There's a new "MJ" in Peter's life here.
            Just one of several changes to Peter's high school social circle. Another one is that Flash Thompson is no longer a Caucasian jock type character... he's a different kind of bully entirely in this movie.
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

As opposed to a New York City completely populated by white people?
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                As opposed to a New York City completely populated by white people?
                So where do you get that Joe? From me wanting my characters to be the same characters I grew up with? I see nothing wrong with wanting to keep them as they were written....it doesn't make me a racist if that's what you're implying. I'm just a purist, Comic Book Geek who doesn't like things messed with just for the sake of political correctness. This world has become obsessed with it.
                sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

Ah...this makes me feel better.

According to producers Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal, the character’s unveiling wasn’t all that it appears.

“Well, we never even looked at it as a big reveal necessarily but more of just a fun homage to his past adventures and his past love,” Feige explained to IGN. “She’s not Mary Jane Watson. She never was Mary Jane Watson. She was always this new high school character, Michelle, who we know there’s an ‘M’ in Michelle and an ‘M’ in Mary. So we’re so clever and we thought, ‘Wouldn’t it be neat if her initials were MJ?’ And then I think it leaked that she would be playing MJ and then it became a whole headache for Zendaya to have to navigate. It was never a big, ‘Oh, my God, it’s a big reveal!’ There are big reveals in the movie. That’s not one of them.” Pascal echoed that sentiment, adding, “She is not going to end as being Mary Jane Watson.”
                  sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    If you want to know about Jameson SPOILERS below

He's not in it. I think they know they can't possibly cast anybody better than JK Simmons, and DC snatched him up for Commissioner Gordon. This is Spidey REALLY early in his career, so maybe it will take him a while to get to the Bugle...if at all.

Chris

JJJ actually turned up SUPER early in the webslinger's career. Issue 1, Page 4, Panel 6 hunched over his typewriter, his own words: "When I'm thru with this article, Spider-Man will be run out of town!" So old JJJ's had a hate on for Spidey for a really long time...
                    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, I know. Me and Marvel Tales go WAYYYY back.

But maybe this version will take longer to get there. He's already had his "first job" as a Stark Intern, so...

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

Working at the Bugle in '17 makes no sense for Parker. It has no bearing unless he's working in a TMZ fashion.

They should drop it all and just put JJJ in the bg. People will know exactly who he is and if they're going to change the May/Peter dynamic, might as well change the rest.

If he went from Stark to Oscorp - minus Bendis' "Parker Parents are super important" soap garbage - and kept Norman out of sight, that would be interesting. Ultimate Spider-Man had a nice Oscorp approach. Norman as the anti-Stark would have some new terrain.

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Just got back from watching Homecoming.

My verdict?

The best Spidey movie ever. It really captures the comic book feel...more than all previous movies.

Tom Holland is the best Spidey/Parker ever.

I liked his sidekick, funny kid.

Keaton was great...just wished he had been completely bald. But dug his technologically advanced wings, it worked...I think feathered wings would've looked all wrong...best leave that for the comics.

The two girls were fine, no complaints, as many said...they were not either Gween Stacy nor the real Mary Jane, so it's all good.

Robert Downey was not as annoying as in the past...but boy, they sure make his Iron Man out to be some kind of A+++ superhero...Spidey on the other hand, more like the B-side...but after proving himself...and say the sequel is in two to three years, Parker will be 18, and practically an experienced adult superhero...then he'll be greater than Iron Man, god, I hope so.

Dig the other B-side villains too.

Oh, and Marisa Tomei, is by default of course, the hottest Aunt May ever, lol.

Did I like it better than Wonder Woman? Well, no, not quite. Still loved Wonder Woman more, and I'll tell you why....

First, Gal Gadot. Every time I saw her in screen, I got goosebumps, my heart melted a bit...I'm sorry, but a teen boy is not going to make me feel like that, lol. I was hypnotized and mesmerized every time I laid eyes on Gadot's Diana Prince/Wonder Woman. While Homecoming was indeed lots of fun, still at the end of the day, it was a teen movie, albeit an awesome superhero teen movie. But a teen is just not going to steal my heart and beat a beautiful and gorgeous Amazon (who can kick serious butt too), nope, not happening.

Perhaps Homecoming did indeed had the more unique and different climatic fight and ending...but I loved the traditional cliche climatic battle between Wonder Woman and Ares...I was like a schoolboy cheering outta my seat, rooting for Wonder Woman so hard...YEAH, YEAH, GET HIM KICK HIS ARZE, YEAH!!!!!!!!

Spidey had to prove himself...but so did Wonder Woman, especially in a man's world at the time, in brutal World War I...seeing such an awesome female fighter walk through those trenches, leading the charge, that was stuff of legends, unforgettable...one of my all time favorite scenes...see, I got goosebumps again, lol.

So in the end, Spidey was lots of fun, as I said, best Spidey movie ever. I tremendously enjoyed...it just lacked that one key element...THE MOST AWESOME BADDEST FEMALE ON EARTH...

sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

^I'll give you that Hector.

Glad you liked it!

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Thank you kindly, Sir!

sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

The entire Franklin family discusses Spider-Man: Homecoming on this month's Super Mates. I was really happy we got Andrew's perspective on it, since he is a 15 year old sophomore...and does have the homemade suit which he wore at Heroes Con!

The podcast where a certified comic/sci-fi/fantasy geek actually gets his wife to co-host a show with him! Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria! Join Chris and Cindy Franklin on their bi-weekly journey through all things geeky. They'll discuss comics, movies, TV shows, books, toys...anything and everything geeks love to gab about.

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎