Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

I can't wait for my fave Marvel hero (tied with Hulk) to hit the screen! The reason why Spidey is a hard film translation, is because of that dang mask.... but, as shown before, that can be balanced out.
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Brue
      User without title
      • Sep 29, 2005

I thought it would be great. Parts were. Overall pacing was slow. I didn't connect with the characters, big opportunities to soar were missed, the heart of the spidey story just wasn't there.

It was better than Sider-man 3 and Amazing Spider-man 2. It was on par with Amazing Spider-man. Not nearly as good as Sider-man 1 and 2.

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Brue
        It was better than Spider-man 3 and Amazing Spider-man 2. It was on par with Amazing Spider-man.
        I thought ASM was a joke what with that master-plan of Lizard's. Thought ASM2 was better than others gave credit for.

It was better than Spider-man 3. Not nearly as good as Spider-man 1 and 2.
        I thought all 3 of those were about as good as you're going to get w/Marvel superhero films (GOTG proved me wrong)... yeah 3 was uneven... but it wasn't boring, and it retained (at least a good portion of) the Raimi McGuire tone.

I didn't connect with the characters, big opportunities to soar were missed, the heart of the spidey story just wasn't there
        Bound to happen if you have Iron Man cameos and multiple villains dropping in in the midst of the MCU instead of starting from scratch.

Overall pacing was slow.
        As seen above we have different tastes, and so I'm not sure how I'll like it when I see it... and it'll take a while even AFTER I see it to make judgement that'll last for me (case in point: I'm still not exactly sure how I feel about WW)

But hearing overall pacing was SLOW... in a movie that barely needs any backstory and, in a way, is like CIVIL WAR Part 1.5....that's kinda scary as I prep to see it in the theatre.
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Loved it. Best Spider-Man movie ever, and the most fun I've had at the movies in a long time. Great characterization, plot and performances and captured the high school feel of the early comics very well, while updating things and not repeating the beats of the previous movies. Also tied into the MCU in ways I didn't expect. Highly recommended!!!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Dark Shadow
            Creature Of The Night
            • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            Loved it. Best Spider-Man movie ever, and the most fun I've had at the movies in a long time. Great characterization, plot and performances and captured the high school feel of the early comics very well, while updating things and not repeating the beats of the previous movies. Also tied into the MCU in ways I didn't expect. Highly recommended!!!

Chris
            My assessment is within the same friendly neighborhood as yours is.

While the first two films are still very near and dear to my heart, I found this installment to be a very solid update. The Spidey portrayal and action in this film is everything that I hoped the first movie would deliver 15 years ago. Holland is definitely my favorite Spidey/Peter portrayal. I have a few minor complaints (plot and canon), certainly nothing debilitatingly grievous. An overall excellent foundation for what I hope will become a long and adventurous continuation of the franchise.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

The pace of the movie is admittedly a tad on the slow side, but it generally doesn't detract from the film.

Peter's Spider Sense is largely conspicuous by its absence (but I guess we're meant to infer that it's working as part of his power set), and like I said in my post above, some of the changes to the canon grated a little.

Aunt May's last line in the movie... classic!
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

This was "Spectacular"! I loved it. For those of you who like to see your titular superhero in costume a LOT during the running time, this one's for you.

Had a LOT more fun with this than Wonder Woman. *ducks*

Tom Holland just kills it, and the connections with the MCU are logical and perfect. Seeing an aged Michael Keaton contrasted with Peter's millennial peers made me feel a little old, but I didn't care. You know how I can tell if a movie gets a thumbs up from me, if I catch myself with a big old grin a couple of times. This one delivers.

A very nice callback to a very famous Ditko cover/sequence.

The costume is just awesome.

Gimme more. Best Spider-Man movie yet.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^I think it was a better movie overall the Wonder Woman, because Wonder Woman's climax is a bit weak and by the book video game boss battle ending. I still love it, but Homecoming is far more consistent, with no truly weak segments in my opinion.

But it's like apples and oranges really. Very different tones in both.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

Yes, they are completely different, agreed. Only compared them because they are the big 2 Superhero films of this summer. Wonder Woman has its merits and achievements, but for everything Gadot brings, the film still can't seem to get out of the long shadow cast by previous DC efforts. I wanted to like it more than I did, and Spider-Man brought the fun factor that WW was missing.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

WW did have it's light fun moments, which is more than I can say for MoS or BvS, but yeah, Spider-Man by nature is a whole lot of fun and much lighter. It's almost an action-comedy like Ant-Man. Much lighter than the heavy-handed emo-ness of the ASM series.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Webb's movies have its fans, but I think this is the Spidey (and Peter) people want to see. The Garfield films were SONY unfortunately watching The Dark Knight and saying, "Yeah, let's apply that."

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Oh, bashing my Wonder Woman already?

This Spidey movie is better because it's more fun and funnier? That makes for a better film? You must've forgot Wonder Woman is not a wisecracking superhero like Spider-Man, plus it's set in WWI, not exactly a stand up comedy setting, lol.

I'd rather see Gal Gadot than Tom Holland, let's put it that way, lol.

I feel like almost watching Homecoming until it comes out on Redbox now...especially if I hear another this Spidey is better than WW comment...

sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

It's better.

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

I'll wait for Redbox...not too interested in the flick now...
                              sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

Some posters here didn't think Homecoming was that great.

So who should I believe?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎