• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

Some Spoilers - I guess:

---

Watched with my nieces on the weekend and we all really loved it.

I really enjoyed Raimi's first two movies, but this movie was a lot more fun.

Personally, I don't buy that this movie millennial-fied Spider-Man or anything - to me this was the first Spider-Man movie that came closest to capturing the teen energy of the 60s comics.

For me Spider-Man always goes hand-in-hand with the creation of teen culture in the 60s and it's THE thing that sets him apart from other big heros. That's why it's crazy to me that it's taken this long to hear some fun rock music in a Spider-Man movie. (HUGE shout out to whoever chose the Ramones, which works on many levels. For one thing, they're from Queens too.)

All the changes to the cast were fine by me - I've already sat through 5 movies with a more traditional take on the characters, thanks. Plus, I don't think they made any single change for change's sake - everything they did served the story. (And also it looked a lot more like it took place in a NY public school, this time around.)

For instance, I was initially thrown by Flash, just because he seemed almost as much of a scrawny dork as Peter, and not physically threatening --- but for me the changes deepened their rivalry and made it less cliche. You can actually do more with this relationship story-wise.

The Tony Stark relationship worked that way too — it wasn't just about the suit, (though, that did make sense) they found fun ways to play with the characters. Tony Stark struggling as a mentor with Peter's obvious father figure crush was funny and surprisingly emotional.

Oh, and Hannibal Buress basically steals the show without moving or hardly opening his eyes - of course.

The action scenes mostly sucked. It's from the "when in doubt, pull in super close and shake the camera around" school of action shooting. But, at this point that's like, 99% of movies for me. I still think Raimi's part 2 had the only great Spidey action scenes. I guess you can't have everything.

Comment

• Brazoo
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      Flash as a rival instead of a jock bully makes more sense in the now. I liked that he was more of an annoyance than threat. I never bought that Peter would put up with Flash's mouth like he did after getting the powers. Of course this Flash does get some nasty digs in, but Peter shows him up almost every time, despite himself.
      I totally agree. Also the fact that they have similar interests forces them to interact more.

Comment

• Brazoo
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 14, 2009

POSSIBLY A SPOILER:

Oh yeah, one more thing - as a huge "Better Call Saul" fan seeing Michael Mando getting a setup for the sequel was AWEEESOOOOOME!

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Brazoo
          POSSIBLY A SPOILER:

Oh yeah, one more thing - as a huge "Better Call Saul" fan seeing Michael Mando getting a setup for the sequel was AWEEESOOOOOME!
          1000% agree with that! It was cool to see him in the movie.
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
            Was Hector claiming that Homecoming outperformed Spider-Man '02, or was he merely stating that the casting of Homecoming didn't hurt the 6th installment of a franchise that has already seen its 3rd incarnation within 15 years?

Considering the second half of my question, is it even fair to compare the box office stats between the two?
            Original quote. Not singling out Hector as this is a shared belief.

it's whatever has the more potential for money-making, millennials are the majority now, they seem to be more accepting of these changes...no further evidence needed than checking out its current box office numbers...
            It's stating diversity is a financial booster and the box office proves that. It's not inferring casting was a risk that caused no damage, as you've revised the original statement to mean.

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
            Purely anecdotal: I anticipated the first film for years (and years and years), I attended 3 showings on opening weekend and 3 more the within the next week.

Word of mouth was through the roof on the first film, and that, in part, was due to the state of the nation at that time. The U.S. needed a feel good hero movie, and we got it.

And when you toss in the overalI attendance decline over the course of the past decade and a half, I find the comparison interesting although irrelevant.
            I was working as an outside analyst at the time for investors. State of the nation and wom had nothing to do with it. You had three generations of fans anticipating this movie. It crushed every quadrant from the first trailer. The debate was whether it was going to beat Titanic.

You're overlooking the entire reason Sony went along with Marvel. Amazing proved a straight reboot couldn't reach Raimi numbers. Sony agreed to the Marvel co-production because as a marketing tactic, MCU was the only relaunch with the potential to reach '02 numbers.

That's the point of my comparison. Homecoming could have been as whitebread as '02 and because of the MCU/Premium factor, it still cruises over 100Mil. Diversity is not done for pure financial reasons, but it's also not purely ideological. Studios seek script approval from advocacy groups during development. They don't ask these groups to promote the movie because it can actually backfire as a marketing tactic, but they want to make sure these groups don't target the movie for being insensitive or uninclusive. It's a pure political decision to pacify advocates and the motive is not just financial but for the company/people to be seen as ideologically correct to these groups/communities.

While I agree a high school in NYC would have a diverse makeup of students, it then becomes absurd to keep Peter as non-regional white as they did. As Chris pointed out, Homecoming has a lot of hallmarks of Ultimate Spidey. If you look at the Sony leaked papers, or Fiege's early comments, it's pretty clear this reboot was being groomed for Miles. It was only when the Russos took over MCU that you see a solid change back to Parker.

Make whatever version of Ultimate Spider-Man - Miles comic, Peter cartoon - but subtract the MCU/Marvel-Team featuring Iron Man, and supposedly it would have done better numbers than Amazing because, millenials and diversity.

Without Iron Man, this would have done worse than ASM2. Annnd on cue.... https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#777b599235fb

Sony's Spider-Man: Homecoming isn't remotely a flop. Yet the $175 million-budgeted Marvel Cinematic Universe entry earned another $45.2 million in its second weekend of release and has now earned $208.27m in 10 days. But the film did drop 61% in its second weekend, identical to the second-weekend drops for Spider-Man 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. And that $45m weekend figure, from a $117m opening weekend, is identical to the $45m third weekend of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man (in 2002) and the second weekend of Spider-Man 2 (coming off an $88m Fri-Sun/$180m Wed-Mon debut in 2004).

So, unless it catches up over the next month (and that's not remotely out of the question), we're looking at an identical multiplier to Amazing Spider-Man 2 ($202m/$91m) and Spider-Man 3 ($336m/$151m). That will lead to a domestic total almost identical to the $262m cume of The Amazing Spider-Man (from a $137m Tues-Sun debut) back in 2012. And adjusted for inflation, it will be noticeably fewer tickets sold than that 2012 reboot. And if the second-weekend figure holds up, the 61.3% drop will be the worst ever for a Marvel Cinematic Universe title.

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Your analytics are scaring me, stop it...

Seriously though, pretty impressive regardless...
              sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Didn't ASM2 have a much higher budget than Homecoming, though?

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                  valar morghulis
                  • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  Didn't ASM2 have a much higher budget than Homecoming, though?
                  ASM2: $200M
                  Home: $175M

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                    ASM2: $200M
                    Home: $175M
                    Plus $200M in 2002 gave you a lot more bang for your buck than today...

sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^Well, that was for Garfield's second movie.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

My bad, me stooopid, lol...
                        sigpic

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                          Creature Of The Night
                          • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by hedrap
                          Original quote. Not singling out Hector as this is a shared belief.

It's stating diversity is a financial booster and the box office proves that. It's not inferring casting was a risk that caused no damage, as you've revised the original statement to mean.

I was working as an outside analyst at the time for investors. State of the nation and wom had nothing to do with it. You had three generations of fans anticipating this movie. It crushed every quadrant from the first trailer. The debate was whether it was going to beat Titanic.

You're overlooking the entire reason Sony went along with Marvel. Amazing proved a straight reboot couldn't reach Raimi numbers. Sony agreed to the Marvel co-production because as a marketing tactic, MCU was the only relaunch with the potential to reach '02 numbers.

That's the point of my comparison. Homecoming could have been as whitebread as '02 and because of the MCU/Premium factor, it still cruises over 100Mil. Diversity is not done for pure financial reasons, but it's also not purely ideological. Studios seek script approval from advocacy groups during development. They don't ask these groups to promote the movie because it can actually backfire as a marketing tactic, but they want to make sure these groups don't target the movie for being insensitive or uninclusive. It's a pure political decision to pacify advocates and the motive is not just financial but for the company/people to be seen as ideologically correct to these groups/communities.

While I agree a high school in NYC would have a diverse makeup of students, it then becomes absurd to keep Peter as non-regional white as they did. As Chris pointed out, Homecoming has a lot of hallmarks of Ultimate Spidey. If you look at the Sony leaked papers, or Fiege's early comments, it's pretty clear this reboot was being groomed for Miles. It was only when the Russos took over MCU that you see a solid change back to Parker.

Make whatever version of Ultimate Spider-Man - Miles comic, Peter cartoon - but subtract the MCU/Marvel-Team featuring Iron Man, and supposedly it would have done better numbers than Amazing because, millenials and diversity.

Without Iron Man, this would have done worse than ASM2. Annnd on cue.... https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#777b599235fb
                          Thanks for taking the time to clarify. I not only misinterpreted Hec's statement, but also misunderstood your box office analysis. Seems my pasture days are drawing nearer than I've realized...apologies to you both!

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

Nothing to apologize for. You're not wrong in your assessment. Hec's right when it comes to marketing towards Millenials, my problem is that there's more proof it doesn't work than does. It's a weird contradiction for established mediums to target Millenials, when that's the same group who openly rejects their outlets.

Comment

• Brue
                              User without title
                              • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Brazoo
                              POSSIBLY A SPOILER:

they set up LOTS of characters! Donald Glover (who people thought was going to be Spidey, when he was cast in the film has a cool character coming. The Sinister Six on the horizon. Knowing who Ned is, I saw him differently than my non comic fans.

Comment

• Brazoo
                                Permanent Member
                                • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Brue
                                they set up LOTS of characters! Donald Glover (who people thought was going to be Spidey, when he was cast in the film has a cool character coming. The Sinister Six on the horizon. Knowing who Ned is, I saw him differently than my non comic fans.
                                For sure! I'm specifically excited for Mando, because the first time I saw him on Orphan Black I thought he was really great. He came into a roll that could have been really cliche and made it fun and really interesting.

I was glad when he showed up on "Saul" too. It's exciting to see an actor do something awesome in smaller roll and then watch their career take off.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎