Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

It's become an either/or proposal. Movie superheroes can either have comic book traits from plot devices, or not have them at all. Sony would never give Spidey expressive features without some kind of logic because they believe a general audience wouldn't accept it. I don't know if that's true anymore.

The real problem is movie Parker is not a savant because Cameron didn't like the idea in '98. Hopefully that's finally fixed.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Garfield is Romita's older, hipper college Parker. He's a bit too cool for school in a lot of ways, though. Had they cast James Franco as Peter instead of Harry Osborn in Raimi's films, we'd have gotten the Garfield vibe a decade earlier.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        Garfield is Romita's older, hipper college Parker. He's a bit too cool for school in a lot of ways, though. Had they cast James Franco as Peter instead of Harry Osborn in Raimi's films, we'd have gotten the Garfield vibe a decade earlier.
        I can see that and if they'd have just continued the Riami series with the new cast, that would have carried over better but it was like they wanted to re-do the Ditko thing yet again.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, I really wanted to see Dylan Baker become the Lizard. And look like the Lizard. Sigh.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

^You had Orci and Kurtzman working off of Bendis. Harder to find a worse combo. Webb wanted to make a high school movie and then they forced Lost Parker Files into it.

The mistake was tapping the Osborne well. All they needed was Ock overseeing Connor's at Smythe Labs. From there, you pour out the animal villains as Sinister Six and weave Kraven across three movies ending with something based on Last Hunt.

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              ^Yeah, I really wanted to see Dylan Baker become the Lizard. And look like the Lizard. Sigh.

Chris

And I wanted to see Bruce Campbell become Mysterio. They could have gotten 2 more movies with both of those.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^YES!!!

Despite choosing to ignore it, I saw the latest Homecoming trailer in front of my 2nd viewing of Guardians Vol.2. It still looks fun, but I almost feel as if the movie itself has nothing new to show me. I hope I'm wrong.

I really do think this may be the most overexposed movie yet as far as officially released footage goes.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

I wanna see Wonder Woman waaaaaaay more than Homecoming...

But as a comic book superhero geek...I'll watch both annyway, they got my money either way...

Last edited by Hector; May 30, '17, 11:54 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 20, 2011

WW looks like it's going to be ten times the movie that S-M:Homecoming looks to be, Hector. That alone should make you as giddy as a schoolboy! LOL!
                    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                      WW looks like it's going to be ten times the movie that S-M:Homecoming looks to be, Hector. That alone should make you as giddy as a schoolboy! LOL!
                      About time DC Universe wins one over Marvel...

sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Hector
                        About time DC Universe wins one over Marvel...

I think the saddest part is that MARVEL is turning me, a lifelong Spider-Man fan, off with the way it's handling and advertising it's flagship character.

Prepare, brothers and sisters; I'm gonna preach it to you like I've preached it before...

This Spider-Man movie is NOT the Spider-Man that I, or MIB41, or any number of others here on the boards grew up with. THIS Spider-Man is rather a fusion of the Ultimate Spider-Man version from both the comics and, even more pointedly so, the Ultimate Spider-Man seen on the Disney channel who is portrayed as a preteen/young teen starting out who worships the Avengers and Iron Man in particular. In other words---it's a further Disneyfication of a character with a long and storied history, a history that does not include spider suits with AI, spider-drones or parachutes coming out of the back. A history that predates Iron Man by a few years and introduces the world to a painfully shy, introverted, but brilliant young man suddenly bestowed with powers and abilities who ultimately has to learn, in the hardest way possible, that WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY.

THIS is Disney taking a character with a 55 year history and molding it and homogenizing it down to the lowest common denominator and then using RDJ/Tony Stark/Iron Man to spoon feed it to the masses who will never get to truly know the Peter Parker/Spider-Man that many of us here grew up with. In another few years, the Spider-Man we all knew and loved may well be gone, as could the entirety of the MARVEL Universe, replaced, instead, by doppelgängers and charlatans bearing the same names, but existing only to feed Disney's voracious bottom line as opposed to entertaining and, yes, even inspiring new legions of fans...
                        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• enyawd72
                          Maker of Monsters!
                          • Oct 1, 2009

^THIS. This is why I left Marvel comics and my Marvel collection behind. There was nothing left for me. Every trace of the characters I grew up with has been wiped away.

I couldn't even enjoy my pre-Disney collection anymore...it only served as a constant, painful reminder of what had been lost.

And I'm going to further add, under Disney, Marvel has made a very conscious effort to suppress it's own history to sell NOW. They basically shut down their archival print division. They refuse to release ANY of their classic library of animated or live action series. This is where DC gets it at least. If you weren't a fan of New 52, at least DC gave you Superfriends...Wonder Woman '77...Batman '66...Shazam!, etc. either in print or home video or both.

Marvel won't even acknowledge The Incredible Hulk TV series...Nicholas Hammond's Spider-Man...the 60's Marvel cartoons...Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends... They are treated as if they don't exist.

We've seen a TON of Batman '66 merchandise. There have been statues and figures of Lynda Carter, Christopher Reeve...where are the Lou Ferrigno Hulk collectibles? It's been 40 years since the series premiered, and not a single Lou Ferrigno Hulk has EVER been produced. That's just beyond ridiculous.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Growing up, Spider-Man was my favorite comic book to read (X-Men took over in my 20s though)...as I found Superman comics rather quite boring.

I'm not feeling the new Spidey movie either guys...as I know hate Robert Downey/Iron Man with a passion. The Spidey suit is now more Iron Man than Spider-Man. Too high tech, man.

But, as I said, I'm a hopeless superhero geek...so I'll go watch it once.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

I can see all of that, but I still think Marvel Studios was put in a unique position where they had to integrate Spidey directly into THEIR universe as quickly as possible, AND they and Sony had to deal with another reboot. So using the shorthand of the Spidey/Stark relationship from Civil War made sense, and actually makes far more sense with a younger, more impressionable Peter than the married, mid-20s Peter of the comics.

It's different, yes, but between the two of them, the Raimi and Webb films covered the traditional trappings of both the 616 and Ultimate universe origins. They had to sell this to audiences beyond us who have sat through three completely separate interpretations of Spider-Man in the past 10 years (Spidey 3 came out in '07, I believe).

I'm not crazy about all the tech in his suit, but I think we're going to see him forego most of that through a good chunk of the film if the trailers are to be believed.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

You make good points too ^^^^^^^
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰