X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
    These casting changes are driven more by demographics and marketing than by political correctness or any desire for non-traditional casting opportunities. Movie casting is just not analogous to theatre casting.
    It's more hand-in-hand. MRVL is forwardly progressive, so the changes fit the demos and marketing they want the company to be associated with, because the overwhelming majority of decision makers share the same beliefs.

For example, the backstory on the current retro-relaunch.

“We saw the sales of any character that was diverse, any character that was new, our female characters, anything that was not a core Marvel character, people were turning their nose up against,” Gabriel added. “That was difficult for us because we had a lot of fresh, new, exciting ideas that we were trying to get out and nothing new really worked.”
    After, he spent a few weeks apologizing for something that's been proven true by different companies in other fields: Diversity appeals to a niche audience. MCU can target diversity as the movies are riding a huge populous wave, but Marvel Comics can't get away with it as comics are already a specialized niche. In essence, they were catering to a niche within a niche.

I should add that if WB-DC pushed a traditional approach and sold it as time-honored and classical, it too would be a niche play.

Comment

• rykerw1701
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 27, 2007

Thoroughly enjoyable movie for my 10 year old son, 13 year old daughter, my fiance and myself. Hard to make one we all like.

I thought the changes to include a broader racial makeup were fine. As has been stated, it was probably more of a marketing decision than one of political correctness, but old comic properties like Spider-man were very white, and that shouldn't mean they have to only stay that way now. NYC is a very diverse place. I'm ok with re imaging some roles, like MJ in this interpretation or Nick Fury. Some here will disagree, but to me Nick Fury was just another white guy before Samuel L Jackson brought some pizzazz to the role.

I didn't care for him having the sidekick at the computer, whatever race the kid was. Just seemed odd Peter had that partner whispering in his head.

Keaton was great. He still has his same quirkiness, but it was downplayed and replaced with the appropriate badguy-ness.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

The race of those characters didn't matter within the framework of the film. They aren't the traditional version of those characters. Liz is a fairly minor character in the canon, and Michelle has the initials of another famous character, but ISN'T that character. A version of that character was already done in the Raimi franchise, so they smartly sidestepped that, but still homaged her importance to the franchise, as one of the two primary love interests.

Ned was actually based on Miles Morales' friend and confidant, but given a name from the original comics. To me this is a nice way of saying this is a synthesis of all iterations of Spider-Man.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

I could care less what race/ethnic/nationality the supporting cast is as long as Peter Parker is American.

Wait, isn't Tom Holland a Brit?

I do take issue with his rotund sidekick though, Spidey doesn't need the human version of his Spidey senses. I'm fine with him being Parker's go to computer geek...just don't make him the human Spidey senses guy.

Also, the actor playing Flash Thompson was punier looking than Parker, what horrible casting, lol.

The following is a SPOILER...

And Liz being Vulture's daughter was contrived, done exclusively to really shock and throw audiences off.

END OF SPOILER...

But I dug the alternate version of Zendaya's MJ (who is not really the real MJ to begin with)...she's a great character, a curt, deadpan, brainy, anti-social, bookworm, yet cute girl, who compliments Parker very well. She will definitely have a much larger role in the sequel, as she has a huge Disney Channel following, plus she's from my hometown, Oakland, so it's all good, ha. The world is that her and Holland are hanging out in real life too, they make a cute couple...

Last edited by Hector; Jul 17, '17, 3:52 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            The race of those characters didn't matter within the framework of the film. They aren't the traditional version of those characters. Liz is a fairly minor character in the canon, and Michelle has the initials of another famous character, but ISN'T that character. A version of that character was already done in the Raimi franchise, so they smartly sidestepped that, but still homaged her importance to the franchise, as one of the two primary love interests.

Ned was actually based on Miles Morales' friend and confidant, but given a name from the original comics. To me this is a nice way of saying this is a synthesis of all iterations of Spider-Man.

Chris
            Yes, you make good points.

It's nice to alter some bits. Why rehash the same old story every time?

I just took issue with just a couple of characters for the reasons I posted above, but they were truly minor gripes.

Homecoming is a fresh take on the Spidey character, and it still felt very comic book like...the movie worked, period.
            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by rykerw1701
              Thoroughly enjoyable movie for my 10 year old son, 13 year old daughter, my fiance and myself. Hard to make one we all like.

I thought the changes to include a broader racial makeup were fine. As has been stated, it was probably more of a marketing decision than one of political correctness, but old comic properties like Spider-man were very white, and that shouldn't mean they have to only stay that way now. NYC is a very diverse place. I'm ok with re imaging some roles, like MJ in this interpretation or Nick Fury. Some here will disagree, but to me Nick Fury was just another white guy before Samuel L Jackson brought some pizzazz to the role.

I didn't care for him having the sidekick at the computer, whatever race the kid was. Just seemed odd Peter had that partner whispering in his head.

Keaton was great. He still has his same quirkiness, but it was downplayed and replaced with the appropriate badguy-ness.
              Yes, it's not political correctness, it's target audience, we live in a more multi-cultural world...it's whatever has the more potential for money-making, millennials are the majority now, they seem to be more accepting of these changes...no further evidence needed than checking out its current box office numbers...

I myself mostly grew up in a multi-cultural environment. I'm wired like that. It's kinda odd, because when I travel to Mexico and see all Mexicans, I feel really weird, as I'm mestizo like most of them, but I'm not culturally the same as them...strange, I know...

sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I liked the Liz angle. I think it totally worked and paralleled that both Vulture AND Spidey were doing what they were doing out of a sense of responsibility to their family. Sure, Vulture's was misguided, but he totally believed it. If Vulture hadn't been her Dad, then that would have taken a huge chunk of his motivation out of the film. It COULD have been extremely cheesy, but Holland and Keaton pulled it off, mostly due to the fact that the car scene was the first one Holland filmed with Keaton, and he has said he was legitimately scared and intimidated by him!

I wasn't sure I would like Ned being in on the secret, but it gave Peter someone to talk to, even if Ned wasn't really concerned with his problems, because he was still gushing over the hero angle. It kept things from getting too emo, and provided some lighthearted moments.

Flash as a rival instead of a jock bully makes more sense in the now. I liked that he was more of an annoyance than threat. I never bought that Peter would put up with Flash's mouth like he did after getting the powers. Of course this Flash does get some nasty digs in, but Peter shows him up almost every time, despite himself.

I grew up in a mostly white environment, with only a handful of black kids in my class, and basically no other ethnicities at all, but yet I have no problem with any of the casting here. It makes total sense in a Queens school, and would make sense at my high school now...because my son goes there!

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

That Keaton/Holland pep talk/warning in the car was one of the best scenes in the movie, you hit the nail on the head...
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Good points on the Flash Thompson thingie too...I see what you mean, man, you are on a roll...
                    sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

I gleaned insight from my 15 year old, Spidey-loving son, who now adores this movie above all others. It speaks to him, clearly!

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

^That's a good point. And consider the first Superman film, mostly beloved here and a Superman for our generation. It got a lot of things right, but some of it was non-canonical and we love Chris Reeve anyway.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
                          Yes, it's not political correctness, it's target audience, we live in a more multi-cultural world...it's whatever has the more potential for money-making, millennials are the majority now, they seem to be more accepting of these changes...no further evidence needed than checking out its current box office numbers...

Spider-Man (2002) v Spidey Homecoming

Average Ticket Price - $5 v $9

Opening weekend 114m (Adjusted for Inflation 154M) v 117M

Theaters Opening Weekend - 3,600 v 4,348

So roughly 22Mil people watched Spidey '02 on almost a thousand less screens than the roughly 13Mil who saw Homecoming on over 4K screens.

Theatrical is not drawing anywhere like it was at the turn of the millennium. 1 ticket today = 2-4 tickets 15 years ago. The 9 average today includes everything from matinees in small towns to the 20/person ticket for 3D Imax in NYC. The boffo Marvel numbers are all thanks to premium large-format screens.

For Homecoming, a thousand screens were Imax/Premium.

Average Premium (15/person) x Capacity Average (400) = $6,000/showing.

6K x 7 Shows per day = 42K x 3 Days = 126K/Weekend x 1K theaters = 126Mil

Adjust for Matinee v Evening Preimum prices, you'll get really close to 117Mil.

Or...take the 400 (Capacity) x 7 (Shows/day) = 2,800 people/day x 3 days = 8,400/weekend x 1K theaters = 8.4Mil Premium Audience v 5Mil in standard. Those numbers blow pass the 117Mil opening, so I think the true medium is about 4.5-6Mil/15 Premium and 3-5Mil/9 Standard. Those get near 117Mil opening.

Comment

• huedell
                            Museum Ball Eater
                            • Dec 31, 2003

MCU and MCU Spider-Man may be born to be the millennials "Rosetta Stone" as far as Marvel superheroes go... but there's no mistaking that the older generation today, especially the one around OUR age ("Generation X, Silver Age & Bronze Age readers, i.e. the ones that are actually MAKING these movies) are proportionally more significant than the Baby-Boomers (and before) were to US when WE were the millennials age as far as movie-goer percentage proportions.

I imagine theater numbers will continue to shrink through past our deaths, as home entertainment tech becomes more and more appealing as an alternative to hit the theater that often. And, as we die off, there will be that much more of a void in the theater, as, after all, we are the last ones who grew up as teens pre-PCs and smartphones yada, yada.

And here's one more thing that makes us figure into those modern-day superhero movie ticket sales more significantly... we are the first generation who has it commonplace for parents to indoctrinate their kids with something they grew up with... not just as cultural icons... but as cultural icons ALSO bolstered by that "Star Wars ignited" mass movie merchandise movement.

So, Disney (and WB) owe "us elders" that much more attention.

That said: Foreign Box-Office is a huge concern... and everything I said above is quite a few degrees separated from Foreign Box-Office.
                            "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                              Creature Of The Night
                              • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by hedrap
                              Spider-Man (2002) v Spidey Homecoming

Average Ticket Price - $5 v $9

Opening weekend 114m (Adjusted for Inflation 154M) v 117M

Theaters Opening Weekend - 3,600 v 4,348

So roughly 22Mil people watched Spidey '02 on almost a thousand less screens than the roughly 13Mil who saw Homecoming on over 4K screens.

Theatrical is not drawing anywhere like it was at the turn of the millennium. 1 ticket today = 2-4 tickets 15 years ago. The 9 average today includes everything from matinees in small towns to the 20/person ticket for 3D Imax in NYC. The boffo Marvel numbers are all thanks to premium large-format screens.

For Homecoming, a thousand screens were Imax/Premium.

Average Premium (15/person) x Capacity Average (400) = $6,000/showing.

6K x 7 Shows per day = 42K x 3 Days = 126K/Weekend x 1K theaters = 126Mil

Adjust for Matinee v Evening Preimum prices, you'll get really close to 117Mil.

Or...take the 400 (Capacity) x 7 (Shows/day) = 2,800 people/day x 3 days = 8,400/weekend x 1K theaters = 8.4Mil Premium Audience v 5Mil in standard. Those numbers blow pass the 117Mil opening, so I think the true medium is about 4.5-6Mil/15 Premium and 3-5Mil/9 Standard. Those get near 117Mil opening.
                              Was Hector claiming that Homecoming outperformed Spider-Man '02, or was he merely stating that the casting of Homecoming didn't hurt the 6th installment of a franchise that has already seen its 3rd incarnation within 15 years?

Considering the second half of my question, is it even fair to compare the box office stats between the two?

Purely anecdotal: I anticipated the first film for years (and years and years), I attended 3 showings on opening weekend and 3 more the within the next week.

Word of mouth was through the roof on the first film, and that, in part, was due to the state of the nation at that time. The U.S. needed a feel good hero movie, and we got it.

And when you toss in the overalI attendance decline over the course of the past decade and a half, I find the comparison interesting although irrelevant.

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

Exactly. ^^^^

It was more an invent then, less competition too. Today is much different.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎