Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Final Trailer and Posters

Images
    Complicated issue. The racial makeup is an accurate reflection of NYC, as our members here can attest. It's Parker who's the anomoly. I never met a white kid from any borough who didn't have a shade of some accent. It's like Peter commutes from Westchester.

What I see as PC is how integrated this diverse of a crowd is. It's a very Millenial dogma, but they still push it way too far for high schoolers. College would be more credible.

The Keaton family magic is a holdover from flippin Raimi's Spidey 4, when it was Malkovich and Hathaway. Studios demand idea incorporation so they can write off development costs. Horrible practice and way too common.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeler View Post
    ^Diversity is a liberal thing?

I'm sure you didn't intend it, but your post borders on offensive.
    he said liberal friendly, surely there are conservatives that are ok with diversity. I find his point of diversity being "friendly" to a political persuasion a little narrowminded.
    Planet Earth is Blue

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Marion View Post
    Did they go too Liberal friendly with the Brown Flash, the fat Asian sidekick, the mulatto love interest and Hispanic MJ? BTW, kudos on portraying MJ as the typical millennial
    Read my earlier post...Peter's love interest was NOT MJ!!

I'd be for the "diversity", if it was how the story was originally written. But it wasn't. They shouldn't change the race of anybody. They should write a new story with new characters, not change existing ones. Total lack of creativity.

Images
    Part of the concern is that there wasn't much diversity in vintage comics, at least not non-stereotyped characters. But I mostly agree with you on this, I'm at root a traditionalist. There can be creative laziness on both sides if the aisle.

It seems that Homecoming has done somewhat as you wished, Lonnie. At any rate, let's not delude ourselves: These casting changes are driven more by demographics and marketing than by political correctness or any desire for non-traditional casting opportunities. Movie casting is just not analogous to theatre casting.

Is this trend a bad thing in and of itself? I don't really think so, the film is not set in 1962. Spidey is still Spidey. And it was done in more recent comics too--alternate Kid Flash, Aqualad, Glory Grant, Capt. Marvel/Photon, Giant-Man. It's not as cut and dried as may appear.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 16, '17 at 6:45 PM.
    WANTED: NM or boxed Fonzie jalopy; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top portion; vintage Galahad box; minty Wolfman tights; Black Knight sword; minty POTA stallion reins (brown); Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; POTA knife-swords; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PNGwynne View Post
    These casting changes are driven more by demographics and marketing than by political correctness or any desire for non-traditional casting opportunities. Movie casting is just not analogous to theatre casting.
    It's more hand-in-hand. MRVL is forwardly progressive, so the changes fit the demos and marketing they want the company to be associated with, because the overwhelming majority of decision makers share the same beliefs.

For example, the backstory on the current retro-relaunch.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/mar...mp-1202021440/

“We saw the sales of any character that was diverse, any character that was new, our female characters, anything that was not a core Marvel character, people were turning their nose up against,” Gabriel added. “That was difficult for us because we had a lot of fresh, new, exciting ideas that we were trying to get out and nothing new really worked.”
    After, he spent a few weeks apologizing for something that's been proven true by different companies in other fields: Diversity appeals to a niche audience. MCU can target diversity as the movies are riding a huge populous wave, but Marvel Comics can't get away with it as comics are already a specialized niche. In essence, they were catering to a niche within a niche.

I should add that if WB-DC pushed a traditional approach and sold it as time-honored and classical, it too would be a niche play.

Thoroughly enjoyable movie for my 10 year old son, 13 year old daughter, my fiance and myself. Hard to make one we all like.

I thought the changes to include a broader racial makeup were fine. As has been stated, it was probably more of a marketing decision than one of political correctness, but old comic properties like Spider-man were very white, and that shouldn't mean they have to only stay that way now. NYC is a very diverse place. I'm ok with re imaging some roles, like MJ in this interpretation or Nick Fury. Some here will disagree, but to me Nick Fury was just another white guy before Samuel L Jackson brought some pizzazz to the role.

I didn't care for him having the sidekick at the computer, whatever race the kid was. Just seemed odd Peter had that partner whispering in his head.

Keaton was great. He still has his same quirkiness, but it was downplayed and replaced with the appropriate badguy-ness.

Images
    The race of those characters didn't matter within the framework of the film. They aren't the traditional version of those characters. Liz is a fairly minor character in the canon, and Michelle has the initials of another famous character, but ISN'T that character. A version of that character was already done in the Raimi franchise, so they smartly sidestepped that, but still homaged her importance to the franchise, as one of the two primary love interests.

Ned was actually based on Miles Morales' friend and confidant, but given a name from the original comics. To me this is a nice way of saying this is a synthesis of all iterations of Spider-Man.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

I could care less what race/ethnic/nationality the supporting cast is as long as Peter Parker is American.

Wait, isn't Tom Holland a Brit?

I do take issue with his rotund sidekick though, Spidey doesn't need the human version of his Spidey senses. I'm fine with him being Parker's go to computer geek...just don't make him the human Spidey senses guy.

Also, the actor playing Flash Thompson was punier looking than Parker, what horrible casting, lol.

The following is a SPOILER...

And Liz being Vulture's daughter was contrived, done exclusively to really shock and throw audiences off.

END OF SPOILER...

But I dug the alternate version of Zendaya's MJ (who is not really the real MJ to begin with)...she's a great character, a curt, deadpan, brainy, anti-social, bookworm, yet cute girl, who compliments Parker very well. She will definitely have a much larger role in the sequel, as she has a huge Disney Channel following, plus she's from my hometown, Oakland, so it's all good, ha. The world is that her and Holland are hanging out in real life too, they make a cute couple...

Last edited by Hector; Jul 17, '17 at 3:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Earth 2 Chris View Post
    The race of those characters didn't matter within the framework of the film. They aren't the traditional version of those characters. Liz is a fairly minor character in the canon, and Michelle has the initials of another famous character, but ISN'T that character. A version of that character was already done in the Raimi franchise, so they smartly sidestepped that, but still homaged her importance to the franchise, as one of the two primary love interests.

Ned was actually based on Miles Morales' friend and confidant, but given a name from the original comics. To me this is a nice way of saying this is a synthesis of all iterations of Spider-Man.

Chris
    Yes, you make good points.

It's nice to alter some bits. Why rehash the same old story every time?

I just took issue with just a couple of characters for the reasons I posted above, but they were truly minor gripes.

Homecoming is a fresh take on the Spidey character, and it still felt very comic book like...the movie worked, period.