X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acrovader
    Career Member
    • Jan 19, 2011

Alien Covenant reactions

Saw it opening day. While I wouldn't say it is bad, by any stretch, it's really more of the same. For me, the thrill is gone. It's a well made movie. And if you want aliens jumping out of the shadows, which everyone has come to expect from the Alien franchise, the movie delivers. But it really offers nothing new, right down to the false ending. Plus the aliens (which there were only about 2) suffer a little too much from cg-itis, imo. The 'twist' really wasn't a big surprise and was quite clumsy considering that the camera cuts away from a pivotal scene without showing its resolution, which I thought was a dead giveaway as to who's really who in the final moments of the film.
    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

I'm glad I was "eh" over Prometheus, because Covenant erases it. If I was jazzed by Prometheus, my reaction would be to deplore Covenant.

The thing with Covenant is in some ways it's an undeniable retcon, but not just in the traditional sense of correcting mistakes. Ridley lays tracks down to explain a lot of "whys" from Alien, but also a number of "hows" that really no other filmed cared to explain.

Like the twist at the end, I don't think was meant to be a twist. The first glimpse, right before the run from the temple, clearly identifies who it is. From there, the character actions become murky to try and make the audience question if they're wrong, but it doesn't care who you think it is. The scenes during the final sequence is near identical to ones in Alien and Aliens. I don't mean just the fight scenes. It's those other scenes in Convenant that explains behavior in Alien/Aliens.

There are some conceits I found weak, but the more I think about it the more I see it as Ridley writing a first book to Alien to create a trilogy with Aliens. Consider watching Covenant and then Alien/Aliens and it all flows, making the final fight with the Queen a massive climax that exacts revenge for those before her.

It really makes me wonder if Ridley thinks or knows his time is short.

Comment

• ODBJBG
      Permanent Member
      • May 15, 2009

I liked the movie, but wasn't wowed by it. It's definitely well made and not nearly as bad as some people have made it out to be. Much better than Prometheus, but that bar isn't too high to clear.

There's some fun stuff in there, particularly with the "creation" of the aliens, but honestly that's one of those questions I didn't really need answered. I always thought they were more interesting as the unknown. Knowing their origin is sort of whatever. And of course, by the time the "real" aliens show up, they're not particularly exciting or scary given that the "new" aliens are scarier at pretty much every level. New aliens way of being created is 10x more horrifying than the face hugger. So when face huggers show up, it's like, oh, that's not too bad.

I think that was my big take away from this movie. If you removed the "classic" aliens and stuck to the new aliens and the stuff with David, that was interesting, new and scary. But it seems like the original alien (who sadly thanks to CGI and bright sets isn't scary at all) was just tacked on to make sure this was a real alien movie and it just drags the whole thing down.

And almost none of the human characters were compelling except Tennessee. He's pretty much the only character who gets much development, the captain gets a little and yet poor man's Ripley is supposed to be the star. Having her with the Ripley haircut and constantly trying to make her seem similar really drags her like-ability down. And she clearly the dumbest character in the film, as she should have known about the swap at the end. The fact that she didn't at least TRY and find out was just poor writing. It'd been one thing if she was tricked, but she practically lets Spock with a goatee on board and doesn't even blink an eye. Poor writing.

But it's a decent movie overall.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Finally watched it today...

I loved the movie...right up my alley. David...what a great character. I definitely want his future Hot Toys figure, ha....

The short-haired brunnete was no Ripley, but I still liked her...Tennessee was cool too.

Sure, it was derivative, but heck, it's an Alien movie...what the hell do critics expect...The Devil Wears Prada?

I loved the classic look, the familiar soundtrack, the atmosphere...and great cinematography and special-effects...so Ridley Scott.

Cant wait for the sequel to this...and I'm going to see Covenenat again...

All the Xenomorphs were baddarze...wished I had one as a trained faithful pet...

sigpic

Comment

• acrovader
          Career Member
          • Jan 19, 2011

It's not doing well at the Box Office. Which doesn't bode well for future sequels.
          I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

All the Alien movies have never really been blockbusters...it's a niche market...I think there will be more sequels, it's an R-rated franchise.

The first Alien is still the box office king compares to the others (adjusted for inflation)...

I've never expected monster numbers out any particular Alien film...I just wanna see ore Xenomporh acid and blood...

sigpic

Comment

• Goblin19
              Talkative Member
              • May 2, 2002

I liked it well enough. I really like Fassbender and he gets a chance to play two similar but distinctly different characters and I think he is the highlight of the movie. I liked Danny McBride quite a bit, too in a mostly noncomicsl role. My biggest gripe would be a few too many lapses in character logic. I won't go into them as they're more than a bit spoilery, but I felt there weee a few too many of them, in my opinion.

As for the box office, they brought this one in st a lower budget than Prometheus so that should help. Also, Prometheus made a lot more money overseas and the jury is still out on this one internationally.

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

^Covenant is at 133Mil worlwide, and should cross 150M by Memorial. Budget is around 100, double for marketing so they need 200M to break. It opens June in China and August (!) in Japan.

So it's going to clear, the question is if that's enough and does Ridley want to do anymore? We may not know until October when he's doing promotional for Blade Runner and the Covenant Blu-Ray

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

I thought it was just OK...there was nothing new to see really, and I felt it was lacking a sense of urgency throughout. I didn't get that same adrenaline rush I still get from Alien and Aliens, no matter how many times I've seen them.

For all it's spectacle this seemed a very small, unimportant chapter in the Alien saga. I even enjoyed Alien 3 more than this.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

In principle, and principle alone...Alien 3 is the worst Alien movie ever made...because it killed off Hicks and Newt off...discrediting the entire Ripley rescue efforts in Aliens...what a disservice and disgrace.

As a stand alone movie, Alien 3 is actually a very good thriller, and the quadruped dog Xenomorph is one baddarze mofo...but I can't ignore that Hicks/Newt travesty...James Cameron is still livid about this...that's why there was talks about making Alien 5, bringing back Ripley, Hicks, and an adult Newt...and ignore Alien 3 altogether, like it never existed.

A shame that Alien 5 seems not to be a go anymore though...all focus is on Ridley Scott's Alien series.
                    sigpic

Comment

• drquest
                      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                      • Apr 17, 2012

My son and I went last night to watch Covenant. I wasn't an extreme hater of Prometheus and wasn't hoping for a conclusion, but explanation of sorts from Prometheus. Without getting spoiliery, Covenant did deliver that, but I left with even more questions. I guess neither of the last two movies had to be "Alien" movies. Considering how important David has turned out to be, it's almost like they just tossed everything we knew out the window timeline wise.

With that, I did like it. I found myself reading up on stuff after the movie to try to fill in some of the questions I had.
                      Last edited by drquest; May 29, '17, 5:40 PM.
                      Danny(Drquest)
                      Captain Action HQ
                      Retro shirts and stuff
                      More retro shirts
                      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Too bad on the cancelled Alien 5 plans...as it would be more box office than Ridley Scott's movies. James Cameron is the more successful director/producer of the two. Bringing back Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley would've been spectacular. Reviving Michael Biehn/Corporal Dwayne Hicks would also be super duper awesome...imagine getting a current "it' actress as an adult Newt, someone like Jennifer Lawrence...and bringing back Lance Henrickson as Michael Weyland/Bishop would've been icing on the cake. I think this could've dwelled into box office gold territory...more so than Scott's Alien films.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Goblin19
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 2, 2002

I would love to see Cameron continue with a new one. Hell I'd like to see Fincher do one that he controls.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                              Invincible Ironing Man
                              • Feb 28, 2008

If you liked Covenant...please skip this...rant imminent...take shelter....

It had been since Prometheus since I felt the need to walk out of a movie, and yes, I got that feeling again. And I really wanted to believe in Covenant.

First half hour was boring. Man, David and his creator sure know how to put me to sleep. "Get me some tea, David". Forget that, get me some strong coffee!
                              And then it gets worse.
                              They are running for their lives, and suddenly the most pressing thing is...flute lessons? How long did that scene drag on? I had to laugh when he said "I'll do the fingering". Get Fassbender a T-shirt with that on it.
                              So now those Space Jockey guys aren't the creators, now it's Psycho Dave?
                              This whole thing was the brainchild of a bored android with delusions of Flutism?

And just when there is a ray of hope, and the classic chestburster arrives, Scott feels the need to put another twist on it, and make him a Mini-Warrior who does the Mexican wave to David? I was almost expecting a big hug scene between them. Come here, my precious!

None of the characters matter, they are all pretty bland, (and stupid, why didn't they check who had survived David vs Walter), especially Ripley-Light who looks like a little girl who wants to be bad-***, but has zero charisma and wants to go back to knitting sweaters.

All Scott wants to do is mess with the classic Alien ideas, throw in some pseudo-religion, while all we want is something like the old glory without all the "fingering". And no, showing us that little bird toy on the table top is not going to cut it. In fact, it's unlikely that both ships would have had that identical thing.

I'll save my money, not see the next Scott Alien, and send $20 to Blomkamp.
                              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎