Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knight errant00
    8 Inch Action Figure
    • Nov 15, 2005

What's interesting is that, if you told me this was set in the new Abrams continuity, it would make sense from a tone and design point of view. But the producers keep insisting its the old TOS continuity, maybe to draw in the old fans. Which doesn't seem to be working if this board and some of the online chatter I've seen is any indication.

Oddly, my sense for a long time -- particularly since Abrams -- is that Trek is being run by people who are embarrassed to be part of it and want to "fix" it .

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
      valar morghulis
      • Mar 8, 2005

Can you imagine all the complaints if there were fanboy forums when the first TNG trailer premiered?

"What, the captain of the Enterprise is a bald, British dude?"

"A KLINGON is a member of the crew??"

"The bridge of the Enterprise has wood furnishings and carpeting??"

TOS was a 1960s show that envisioned what 23rd century tech would look like, I don't expect a 2017 show to be subject to that same interpretation. Give me interesting characters and story lines, and I really don't care much about the rest of the variables.
      Last edited by Sideshow Spock; May 19, '17, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by knight errant00
        What's interesting is that, if you told me this was set in the new Abrams continuity, it would make sense from a tone and design point of view. But the producers keep insisting its the old TOS continuity, maybe to draw in the old fans. Which doesn't seem to be working if this board and some of the online chatter I've seen is any indication.

Oddly, my sense for a long time -- particularly since Abrams -- is that Trek is being run by people who are embarrassed to be part of it and want to "fix" it .
        Agree. I think Sprytel is right and this is the results of Fuller leaving. It feels that this is pre-TOS of the Abramsverse as the movies were to reboot the five-year mission. That could tie into George Kirk/Hemsworth's return if a fourth movie gets made.

As for embarrassed, Abrams said he was never a Trek guy. He only got it since he was already inside Paramount doing MI3. That was the whole X3/Superman Returns/Trek debacle which produced three mehs.

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

So it seems that we all agree that this show doesn't look ANYTHING like pre TOS Star Trek...and that's my biggest problem with it. That, and the lack of a strong lead Cpt. Kirk(or Cpt. Pike) archetype...because I feel that would lead to more hand to hand combat(like Kirk)which would give it a more of a TOS Trek feel to it.
          Last edited by The Bat; May 20, '17, 8:35 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

• HardyGirl
            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
            • Apr 3, 2007

And let's be honest. We know no one is going to be talking about this show in 50 years. But the original TOS is STILL in reruns, and probably still has a good long life ahead of it.
            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• knight errant00
              8 Inch Action Figure
              • Nov 15, 2005

Here's another thing: Wasn't it announced that Jason Isaacs would be the captain on this show?

And to answer Sideshow Spock: Actually, I remember all those things being brought up as stills and footage came out before TNG premiered. No internet boards back then, but it was in letter pages and discussions at the comic shops and cons. They were crabbing about the potted plants in the corridors and the kids and families stationed on the ship as well.

I don't think anybody expects a show to mimic the exact look of a 60s TV series (except in nostalgia pieces like Trek Continues and Phase II), but for a show supposedly set in the TOS continuity, it so far seems to be putting nearly zero attention or effort to work from the basic design elements beyond "round room with window and workstations = bridge" and "You can tell the crew by the arrowhead thingies on their shirts." On the other hand, as I said, it looks very Abrams-Trek, so I'm not sure why the insistence on the connection to TOS continuity.
              Last edited by knight errant00; May 22, '17, 11:28 PM.

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                And let's be honest. We know no one is going to be talking about this show in 50 years. But the original TOS is STILL in reruns, and probably still has a good long life ahead of it.

No question about it!
                sigpic

Comment

• Spyweb007
                  Persistent Member
                  • Apr 18, 2006

I think the Next Gen changes felt like a natural progression of Roddenberry's ideas, some of which networks were not ready for back when the original series aired. I hope Discovery is good, but so far it feels more like a checklist of what the studio thinks the show should be like rather than an organic evolution of Star Trek. Entertainment is art, and art is not a formula that can guaranty success.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                    valar morghulis
                    • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by knight errant00
                    Here's another thing: Wasn't it announced that Jason Isaacs wold be the captain on this show?
                    Yes, but he was a late addition to the cast, and apparently the trailer is from early footage. Isaacs tweeted "good things come to those who wait" in response to people asking him why he wasn't shown.

Michelle Yeoh is the captain of the USS Shenzhou, whose role in the show is relatively unknown at this point.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                      Yes, but he was a late addition to the cast, and apparently the trailer is from early footage. Isaacs tweeted "good things come to those who wait" in response to people asking him why he wasn't shown.

Michelle Yeoh is the captain of the USS Shenzhou, whose role in the show is relatively unknown at this point.

I wonder if the new Number One will transfer from the Shenzhou to the Discovery.

Or, do you think they will focus on two Starfleet Starships?

Have you heard anything about the rumor that the series will focus a lot on the Klingon ship and their crew?

I wonder if from week to week they will switch ships each time.

On Wikipedia, it sounds like the first officer is the main character of the whole series, instead of spotlighting the character traits of the captains.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                        valar morghulis
                        • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by Klosterheim
                        I wonder if the new Number One will transfer from the Shenzhou to the Discovery.
                        Or, do you think they will focus on two Starfleet Starships?
                        Have you heard anything about the rumor that the series will focus a lot on the Klingon ship and their crew?
                        All of those things you mention are rumors floating around, tho it's logical that Michael (Sonequa M-G) does move over in come capacity.

It should also be mentioned that all of the ship footage seen in the trailer is the Shenzhou, not the Discovery.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎