Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: STAR TREK: DISCOVERY First Official Trailer

Images
    I'm guessing the producers have absolutely no interest in satisfying Star Trek fans.

Their main interest is getting the 15-30 year olds that like the current Star Wars projects.

This same demographic probably has no knowledge of anything Trek beyond the recent reboot movies.

Instead of catering to an old crowd of fans CBS is banking on making new ones.

Personally, I don't think this will work --- It just seems the classic formula of Star Trek -- ie "let's all be friends" is not a big seller nowadays.

Kids want shoot'em up
    .................................................. .......................

Blog Entries
    It worked for Doctor Who, it's a sound plan, we're old and will probably tune in no matter what, yet the hard core can't maintain squat these days.

Images
    I wouldn't put DW in the same category though

IMO DW is basically what it has always been since the 70's with the exception of a few added bells and whistles.
    .................................................. .......................

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I wouldn't put DW in the same category though

IMO DW is basically what it has always been since the 70's with the exception of a few added bells and whistles.
    I disagree, they drove hard for a new audience and alienated a lot of the hardcore with those early seasons. Now they have a new, young fan base.

Images
    Just like the Abrams films, you could put any title on this space adventure, but it doesn't look or feel like Star Trek. And to put it on a pay streaming thing? (which I never do) I wouldn't give you 2 cents for it. Thanks I'll stick to TOS and Star Trek Continues.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Images
    What's interesting is that, if you told me this was set in the new Abrams continuity, it would make sense from a tone and design point of view. But the producers keep insisting its the old TOS continuity, maybe to draw in the old fans. Which doesn't seem to be working if this board and some of the online chatter I've seen is any indication.

Oddly, my sense for a long time -- particularly since Abrams -- is that Trek is being run by people who are embarrassed to be part of it and want to "fix" it .

Images
    Can you imagine all the complaints if there were fanboy forums when the first TNG trailer premiered?

"What, the captain of the Enterprise is a bald, British dude?"

"A KLINGON is a member of the crew??"

"The bridge of the Enterprise has wood furnishings and carpeting??"

TOS was a 1960s show that envisioned what 23rd century tech would look like, I don't expect a 2017 show to be subject to that same interpretation. Give me interesting characters and story lines, and I really don't care much about the rest of the variables.
    Last edited by Sideshow Spock; May 19, '17 at 11:15 AM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by knight errant00 View Post
    What's interesting is that, if you told me this was set in the new Abrams continuity, it would make sense from a tone and design point of view. But the producers keep insisting its the old TOS continuity, maybe to draw in the old fans. Which doesn't seem to be working if this board and some of the online chatter I've seen is any indication.

Oddly, my sense for a long time -- particularly since Abrams -- is that Trek is being run by people who are embarrassed to be part of it and want to "fix" it .
    Agree. I think Sprytel is right and this is the results of Fuller leaving. It feels that this is pre-TOS of the Abramsverse as the movies were to reboot the five-year mission. That could tie into George Kirk/Hemsworth's return if a fourth movie gets made.

As for embarrassed, Abrams said he was never a Trek guy. He only got it since he was already inside Paramount doing MI3. That was the whole X3/Superman Returns/Trek debacle which produced three mehs.

Images
    So it seems that we all agree that this show doesn't look ANYTHING like pre TOS Star Trek...and that's my biggest problem with it. That, and the lack of a strong lead Cpt. Kirk(or Cpt. Pike) archetype...because I feel that would lead to more hand to hand combat(like Kirk)which would give it a more of a TOS Trek feel to it.
    Last edited by The Bat; May 20, '17 at 8:35 AM.

Images
    And let's be honest. We know no one is going to be talking about this show in 50 years. But the original TOS is STILL in reruns, and probably still has a good long life ahead of it.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."