X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY First Official Trailer

Here she blows (unless Paramount/CBS won't let it)....

I've got mixed feelings about it at the moment. I'll have to watch it a few times. I can already tell you, I'm not a big fan of the "new" Klingons. Too pointy...
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

I see nothing here that looks like Star Trek to me...easy pass. I'll stick with TOS and TNG.

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

That's a mess.

It's pre-Enterprise but looks more advanced in every way, so it's another reboot without the title.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
        valar morghulis
        • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by hedrap
        That's a mess. It's pre-Enterprise but looks more advanced in every way, so it's another reboot without the title.
        Huh? Enterprise took place about 100 years before TOS.. Discovery is only 10 years pre-TOS..

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Looks good to me...as I'm not that strong of a traditionalist...I'm in...and I dig that the captain and first officer are women...Girl power, baby...

Sasha is looking good!
          sigpic

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 13, 2016

Originally posted by Hector
            Looks good to me...as I'm not that strong of a traditionalist...I'm in...and I dig that the captain and first officer are women...Girl power, baby...

Sasha is looking good!
            Ok, trying not to freak out because everyone is allowed to have an opinion but STAR TREK has RULES!!!
            I would probably be way less passionate about this but I just started watching TOS chronologically for the first time (Dagger of the Mind brought me to tears) AND my best friend is the biggest Trekkie in the known Universe so I have to throw my hat in the ring.
            RULES: I was just talking to my husband about this yesterday! My biggest fandom is Batman and he knows stuff because I go on crazy and/or passionate rants more about it. He was asking me how I felt about much Gotham differs from Batman Canon and yet I still love the show. I thought for a moment and realized that it works because they stick to some very core "rules" of the Bat-verse. You have to kill Bruce's parents (unless you are Brian Azzarello, freakin genius pulled it off but only for a 3 issue mini series), Bruce's only actual friend and mentor is Alfred although he never appreciates it, the Joker does not have a normal identity. I could go on but you get it. Star Trek has rules too! Whenever you try to alter those rules you get....Batman vs Superman. The "rules" of any given fictional universe is built on core reasons that make fans love it and establish eventually establish its' cult following.
            I'm not a Trekkie cuz I don't know enough about it the intricacies to throw down, but I watched TOS "Menagerie" like a week ago and per THE DIALOGUE of the episode (not a fan theory), Spock was with Cap Pike 13 years ago when the events of "The Cage" occurred. Sooo...3 years after that you expect us to believe THIS was happening? Whatever the f*ck is happening cuz that trailer is hella vague. If Spock is doing something else- still didn't catch why Spock was even mentioned- and 10 years later he is only second in command? Like, seriously.
            Star Trek has a BUNCH of rules that you need to make it believably acceptable and likable, I only named one which is just a basic continuity rule. Enterprise was bad but they tried to at least kinda stick to continuity. I saw none of these things in the trailer.
            When I first saw that it was a pre-quel I thought it was going to be Cap Pike and his Crew. That MAYBE could've worked. I have little faith in CBS in the first place.
            So yeah, we FINALLY get Star Trek back on air and it's....probably not going to even last an entire season. What a waste.

Yeah, I ramble. It's my thing.

-Diana

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Well, that was a huge disappointment. I saw nothing there that would make me want to sign up for the CBS pay channel. I thought visually it looked nice...but that's about it.
              sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

This is before TOS but once again, is so far removed from the original it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

What, did Starfleet have a giant makeover after this series? "You know what we need to do? Simplify the ships...the uniforms...everything. Get rid of all that tech stuff. We need colored spotlights everywhere and miniskirts for the ladies. Perfect!"

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, that doesn't look BAD...but it really doesn't fit in ANY version of Trek canon by look alone. We KNOW what Starfleet looked like "10 Years Before Kirk" because of "The Cage". Where's the sweaters? The lamps sticking out of the helm?

And if you buy into the Kelvin Timeline...well this doesn't even look like THAT.

I'm really kind of done with all of these prequel series.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Paramount has blocked Canadians from seeing this?
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• rykerw1701
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
                      Yes, but it's understandable. They didn't want Shatner to see it and start whining about being in it.

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

If true, you didn't miss much

Have absolutely no interest in watching

To me, it looks like Enterprise with a bigger budget

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Well, to be honest with you, I don't trust fan reaction anymore at all. Especially Trek fans.

Rogue One was supposed to be the second coming, I found it dull and pointless.

Apparently the Abrams films are total trash but I like them a lot.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                            Huh? Enterprise took place about 100 years before TOS.. Discovery is only 10 years pre-TOS..
                            The ship Enterprise. I don't register Bacula's show as part of prime. It was technically Reboot 3.

Discovery's design looks is closer to all the movies than TOS. It's Reboot 5, so it's purposely anachronistic.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                              valar morghulis
                              • Mar 8, 2005

Likely because Space has the Canadian rights to the show. Try this:

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎