X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by torgospizza
    I'd always thought the term Klingon refers to the species, but apparently they're like Romans: open-minded enough to include any species of citizen within the empire, because those guys look nothing like Klingons of any sort.
    I'm guessing this is the "other half" of the Kling race. IIRC, the explanation given for the Klingon change from TOS to Movies/TNG was the TOS species interbred with a more primitive one. This must be them.

Comment

• Klosterheim
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 23, 2013

The pro's and con's are understandable.

I will watch it eventually.

I think if the new Star Trek has really good stories that it will be fine.

It's probably a lot better than the trailer, and when the audience views the acting and chemistry- the series will be pretty fantastic!

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

I just wanted something closer to TOS. Something like Cpt. Pike in charge of his own ship(original timeline)and his adventures before Kirk. I wanted that feel, action, adventure and excitement of the TOS. But them's the breaks.
        sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

why on gods green earth world they redesign the Klingons yet again. they are totally unrecognizable now. looks like a train wreck to me and it will serve Paramount right

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

The time period they chose had a lot of potential. "The Cage" established an aesthetic they could build off of that would instantly anchor the show as a prequel... and yet fit in nicely with the classic Trek more casual fans remember. Between Pike, Garth of Izar, Sarek, Kodos the Executioner, Captain Garrovick, Commodore Wesley, etc. ... there are a lot of characters and events that could also be referenced to help firmly ground the series in Trek lore. The casting hints made me think they were heading in this direction.

This may be a great show in its own right, but it doesn't feel very Trek like. This looks more influenced by recent sci-fi shows like the Expanse or the Mass Effect video games. I can't help but wonder if this is part of the artistic differences behind Fuller's departure.

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by sprytel
              This may be a great show in its own right, but it doesn't feel very Trek like. I can't help but wonder if this is part of the artistic differences behind Fuller's departure.

You might very well be onto something.
              sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

It could be okay, but gee whiz, does it have to take itself so seriously? The first word that comes to mind when I think of Trek is "adventure". This looks grim for the sake of being serious. Boldly go, and make it fun!!! My favorite Trek moments are the light ones and the fun interplay between the characters. At least the Abramsverse gets that right for the most part.

As for the aesthetics, I'm with Dwayne. Give me primary colors and gel lighting on simple sets.

I'm reaching a point in my life where my watch pile is so large, that new content reeeaaaly has to hook me. Like Ash Vs. Evil Dead. Gotta have fun with it!

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 13, 2016

Originally posted by Hedji
                  It could be okay, but gee whiz, does it have to take itself so seriously? The first word that comes to mind when I think of Trek is "adventure". This looks grim for the sake of being serious. Boldly go, and make it fun!!! My favorite Trek moments are the light ones and the fun interplay between the characters. At least the Abramsverse gets that right for the most part.

As for the aesthetics, I'm with Dwayne. Give me primary colors and gel lighting on simple sets.

I'm reaching a point in my life where my watch pile is so large, that new content reeeaaaly has to hook me. Like Ash Vs. Evil Dead. Gotta have fun with it!
                  Using 60s technology would be SOOO fun! And they could probably produce it for like 90% less. I am so tired of shows that take themselves too seriously. A campy show is exactly what we need in our current tv line-up!
                  Why is this SO hard for them to figure out?!

-Diana

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Why not pick up the Trek universe a few decades AFTER TNG/DS9/Voyager? That way, you could have guest spots of Picard, Sisko, Janeway, Riker, etc, and you wouldn't have to de-age, up-age them or anything like that?

PLUS, you could go all tech-crazy as you want and no one would blink. Star Trek doesn't have to be over as far as going forward. They already did a prequel series that was met mostly with "meh", despite some good later seasons and a great lead.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

OR...how about pick up where Star Trek 6 left off(set it in the original TOS Universe). You could have a show called Excelsior with Cpt. Sulu! Heck, they might even be able to get John Cho...he does TV work all the time. And if they wanted to shoot a New Kelvin Timeline movie they could do it during the summer break. In fact, I think these pay channels only do about 13 episodes anyway.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

I'm guessing the producers have absolutely no interest in satisfying Star Trek fans.

Their main interest is getting the 15-30 year olds that like the current Star Wars projects.

This same demographic probably has no knowledge of anything Trek beyond the recent reboot movies.

Instead of catering to an old crowd of fans CBS is banking on making new ones.

Personally, I don't think this will work --- It just seems the classic formula of Star Trek -- ie "let's all be friends" is not a big seller nowadays.

Kids want shoot'em up

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

It worked for Doctor Who, it's a sound plan, we're old and will probably tune in no matter what, yet the hard core can't maintain squat these days.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

I wouldn't put DW in the same category though

IMO DW is basically what it has always been since the 70's with the exception of a few added bells and whistles.

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Mikey
                              I wouldn't put DW in the same category though

IMO DW is basically what it has always been since the 70's with the exception of a few added bells and whistles.
                              I disagree, they drove hard for a new audience and alienated a lot of the hardcore with those early seasons. Now they have a new, young fan base.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• HardyGirl
                                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                                • Apr 3, 2007

Just like the Abrams films, you could put any title on this space adventure, but it doesn't look or feel like Star Trek. And to put it on a pay streaming thing? (which I never do) I wouldn't give you 2 cents for it. Thanks I'll stick to TOS and Star Trek Continues.
                                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎