Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goblin19
    Talkative Member
    • May 2, 2002

It's funny. I was just trying to describe why the original was so visually groundbreaking to a younger coworker and I tealized it's hard to describe because the look has been so heavily imitated in the subsequent years that it's hard for someone to understand now. It's easily the most influential visual movie of the past 35 years, if not ever. BTW, while I admire the original, I don't love it the way many do. I find it a bit boring at points.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah, while I thought it had incredible style (and wow, was it mimicked for decades), I'm one of those people who doesn't get the ravenous appreciation for this movie.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

Caught a 3D showing of Blade Runner 2049 tonight.
        Amazing. Won't post any spoilers, but this movie is a worthy sequel.
        It's not as visually sumptuous and immersive as the original (deliberately so, I expect), but it retains enough of the (now) classic BR iconography to provide a clear stylistic link between the two films.
        And the story is undeniably compelling.
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• huedell
          Museum Ball Eater
          • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
          It's not as visually sumptuous and immersive as the original (deliberately so, I expect), but it retains enough of the (now) classic BR iconography to provide a clear stylistic link between the two films.
          This is, like, the most celebrated sequel since Aliens.

Big hub-bub.

Surprised no one here is too worked up about it as of this moment.

I saw it. I thought it was pretty devastatingly satisfying. I mean, the main reason I love the original is because it is a devastatingly emotional movie for me.

The sequel is that emotional for me, plus some icing on top... most of that icing being that it simply exists, and was better than average.
          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

saw it today. I love the original but this movie.....long and boring, visually stunning yes, but the movie was just ridiculously long and boring at 2.45 hours. Ford does not show up until almost 2 hours in. plot had some great potential but this movie is a mess

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

Awesome. I'm shocked at how closely Villeneuve held to so much of the first. I was told he was a big fan of the theatrical cut over any of the latter ones, so I was thrilled. It's very old-school sci-fi. A lot of the beats feel akin to Kubrick as they don't rush-edit scenes but let the moment play out. There's a lot going on, but it threads together as the plot holds to a few basic points instead of jamming in any major subplots.

If you've never seen the first one, I mean ever, you would need to watch it.

Comment

• fallensaviour
                Talkative Member
                • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                Went with my son we just got back this sums it up to a "T" for me.
                My son loved it.
                “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

Hey Nostalgiabuff... to each his own... I don't want you to think you owe any explanation for your sincere review/feelings on the new BR film, but I just thought I'd note some things as potential discussion for ANYone that's seen the film, using the following pieces from your post:

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                  saw it today. I love the original but this movie.....long and boring,
                  Technically, I realize "long" and "boring" are two different terms... however, in films overall, my take is that if a film isn't boring... then it can't be "long" no matter what the running time, my theory being that both "long" and "boring" are subjective. And if the movie doesn't bore ya, it can't feel long.

Add to that that while the original BR was about 40 minutes shorter, it still was stylistically "slow-paced"... another way of saying it was "boring". Which of course was the audience's take on the original BR as well.

So with the expectations being that the new movie would have elements of slow-pacing in combination with that its common with more modern movies to possibly run close to 3 hours, it seems odd that "long and/or boring" would come up.

Add to THAT that despite the longer running time, BR 2049 has been (on the whole) touted as a film with more tantalizing mystique plotwise as well as more tight story-telling than the original's more "linear" plot points and "sprawling" story, thus giving the film a more engaging plot and richer story(an assessment I agree with)... well, again: I personally can't see the "long and/or boring".

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                  .... visually stunning yes,
                  This "visual" element has never been my thing in any movie... so that added minimal value to me... although, dang... I did enjoy the connection to the original and how it took it even further...

****SPOILER*****
                  Ford's Vegas home was particularly cool.
                  ****SPOILER*****

but the movie was just ridiculously long and boring at 2.45 hours. Ford does not show up until almost 2 hours in.
                  If your enjoyment with the new movie is influenced by how much screen time Ford has, then your experience will be somewhat more negative.

Maybe this "Ford screen-time" aspect had an effect on some people in their overall not liking the movie... a kind of "not meeting expectations regarding Ford's role" played a large part in the original BR falling short of audience reception upon viewing.. so, I suppose that'd be some notable irony if that reveals itself to be the case not only with you, but with the audience overall this time around, eh?

...plot had some great potential but this movie is a mess
                  Hmmm... I've seen both Blade Runner movies assessed as "bloated" but never (so far) as a "mess" in the "disjointed" sense...like, say, a Suicide Squad, or something of the like.

My takeaway from the new BR is that all the plot-line points were pretty tangible, and possibly MORE tangible than the first, despite them being more unique and more OF them than the original.

So, yeah, admittedly its still early on, and I have many more years of viewing BR 2049 reviews to come to that conclusion (as well as the other conclusions I made in this post), but, without deeper detail on your end (or from others who feel the same as you re: BR 2049), I'm not seeing the "long","boring" or "mess" thing as much as you (and others may) have.

As it stands, it seems as if BR 2049 has achieved what few sequels have: Living up to, and/or surpassing the original... not purely as a "movie"on its own... but as an honest to goodness "sequel".

As I said in the beginning, whether you have anything to add or not, I respect your gut reaction to the film, and if you have something to elaborate with, that'd be cool, but I'd also love to hear what others think on these points regarding BR 2049!
                  "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Confessional
                    Maker & Whatnot
                    • Aug 8, 2012

A BR sequel for BR/Cyberpunk fans without being driven by gimmicky nostalgia me thinks. The continuation of the *replicant debate* was handled with grace and new intrigue. Trilogy anyone?

Likely not going convert anyone into the realm, but some will be able to objectively appreciate the art direction, cinematography and soundscaping alone. I thoroughly enjoyed it on all fronts. Very happy to see thoughtful sci-fi on the screen again.

Comment

• Goblin19
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 2, 2002

Well, I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. It is long, but I was never bored. The story held my interest and linked to the first very well without being solely reliant on its source material to keep you interested. I liked this much better than the original, which as I stated before, I more admire for its' technical merits, than actually like.

Comment

• drquest
                        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                        • Apr 17, 2012

Caught this yesterday and enjoyed it! It's a visual candystore of sorts, lots to look at it. I found the lack of a ton of dialogue refreshing and the overpowering sounds and environment shaping really set the mood. Most movies seem to think they have to explain a character's motivation 15 times for the movie viewer to get the idea... It is a long movie, but I didn't feel it was too long. Generally if I find myself thinking about the movie later, which I did with this one, it has hit a nerve with me, a good one.
                        Danny(Drquest)
                        Captain Action HQ
                        Retro shirts and stuff
                        More retro shirts
                        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• noelani72
                          27inaleon
                          • Jun 25, 2002

I am one of those who LOVE the International Cut of the original Blade Runner. I LOVE the voice over narration on that one...
                          Saw this sequal over the weekend, with zero knowledge of the show...didnt even fully watch a trailer.
                          I thought this show was a fantastic sequal. The story was completely unexpected and a great idea to do what they did.
                          The sets - wow, seemed like they went back to some 1980's conecpt art for the Tyrell Corp...great feel to everything.
                          I just WISH it would have had the voice over narration. To me, this show would be a perfect ten detective movie if we could hear the detective's thoughts throughout the show....

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

Reading interviews with villenueve, and I think he wanted a narration but Ridley exercised his producer control. I woukd get that considering it was forced on him the first time.

Wouldn't be shocked to see one pop up on the BR release.

Comment

• noelani72
                              27inaleon
                              • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by hedrap
                              Reading interviews with villenueve, and I think he wanted a narration but Ridley exercised his producer control. I woukd get that considering it was forced on him the first time.

Wouldn't be shocked to see one pop up on the BR release.
                              ohhhh id buy that in a heartbeat. I would even pre-order, and I don't pre-order...

Comment

• Hedji
                                Citizen of Gotham
                                • Nov 17, 2012

It was... OK.

I won't go as far as to say I was bored. But I wasn't thrilled either. I worry it may be me, that I'm some kind of Cinephile Knucklehead that just doesn't get it.

Honestly, I think it's a lot of high falutin self-important sci fi concepts dragged over every bit of its running time. The original was NOT an action movie, but it did have some decent scenes of pursuit and peril. I really was taken in by the critical hype for this movie, and wanted to like it more. The 1982 film could be enjoyed on a few levels, even by a 10 year old me. Not so much with this movie. Also, the ideas and concepts in this film are really nothing new. It felt like Hampton Fancher took Ex Machina and A.I. Artificial Intelligence, and put it on puree with the Original Blade Runner. Then he left the kitchen, only to find the blender had run too long.

As for the visuals, I'm hearing a lot of praise for this, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the look of 1982, which is still breathtaking and fully realized, and seemed denser and dirtier. This felt more engineered. More art department, less real.

Spoilers.....

After seeing Ford reprise his role, I realize that Rick Deckard wasn't much of a character to begin with. This was a lot different than him coming back to Han Solo in The Force Awakens. He just felt like... Ford being Ford. And oddly, Edward James Olmos or the director seemed to have forgotten what made Gaff's character memorable, because his cameo just felt like Adama from BSG. Would have been cool to see him a little more eccentric, maybe subtitled with his gutterspeak.

Does this film take a side on whether Deckard is a replicant or not? I couldn't catch any evidence pointing to either yes or no.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎