X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
    Does this film take a side on whether Deckard is a replicant or not? I couldn't catch any evidence pointing to either yes or no.

****SPOILER*****
    According to he BTS production, its supposed to be that way (ambiguous). That said... he's got a LOT of resilience in the fight scene (as he did in the original)... and, he's been on the run... hiding from the cops, I suppose it could be chalked up to what is diagrammed in the movie, not wanting to lead the cops to the rebel replicants. But frankly, no matter what anyone says, Deckard is a replicant...I can't see it any other way.
    ****SPOILER*****
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Goblin19
      Talkative Member
      • May 2, 2002

SPOiLER SPOILER SPOiLER

I don't. Think it comes out and says human or replicant, but I inferred that he's human from the fact that his daughter has the best dreams. I think that is because she is half human. Just my interpretation. I may have missed something more obvious that points in either direction. I know there are a few things said throughout that could lead you either way.

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Goblin19
        SPOiLER SPOILER SPOiLER

I don't. Think it comes out and says human or replicant, but I inferred that he's human from the fact that his daughter has the best dreams. I think that is because she is half human. Just my interpretation. I may have missed something more obvious that points in either direction. I know there are a few things said throughout that could lead you either way.
        But they're not dreams the daughter implanted in replicants. They are her memories.
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Goblin19
          Talkative Member
          • May 2, 2002

SPOILER

I don't mean that her dreams are the best. I mean she creates the best dreams for replicants. I realize that can be interpreted as she has real life experiences to base them off, but I would lean toward She can create the best dreams because she is part human. Again, I do know this was left ambiguous, just what I would lean toward. Everything in the movie, when it comes to this, can be interpreted in both ways. Is Deckard hiding because he's a replicant or because he knows the identity of the child, or both?
          Last edited by Goblin19; Oct 10, '17, 3:01 PM.

Comment

• huedell
            Museum Ball Eater
            • Dec 31, 2003

******HEAVY SPOILERS below.************

I don't mean that her dreams are the best. I mean she creates the best dreams for replicants. I realize that can be interpreted as she has real life experiences to base them off, but I would lean toward She can create the best dreams because she is part human. Again, I do know this was left ambiguous, just what I would lean toward.
            I'm pretty sure this was supposed to be interpreted as they were her real memories implanted into the replicants as memories... if I recall correctly Gossling's musings to Princess Bride Police Chief were that he believes he's a replicant with manufactured memories. Gossling THEN brings up the specific memory of the "horse hiding/slave camp" thing... a memory that when discussing (the same memory) with the daughter, the daughter gets emotional over explaining that the "real" memories are the more jumbled ones just like that specific memory leading Gossling to believe that he is not a replicant.

Everything in the movie, when it comes to this, can be interpreted in both ways. Is Deckard hiding because he's a replicant or because he knows the identity of the child, or both?
            I agree that it COULD be interpreted both ways, particularly with Deckard's reasons for hiding, and that this is all part of the cool stuff about the movie.

That said.... still convinced Deckard is a replicant.

Comment

• Goblin19
              Talkative Member
              • May 2, 2002

SPOILER

Not sure, myself. I'd lean toward human. I foolishly thought they would answer it in this movie, but it's probably a smart choice not to.

Comment

• huedell
                Museum Ball Eater
                • Dec 31, 2003

SPOILER

Not sure, myself. I'd lean toward human. I foolishly thought they would answer it in this movie, but it's probably a smart choice not to.
                At best, it keeps the integrity of the franchise regarding that mystery.

At the least, its good business for the franchise. Why answer something when the mystery being revealed in a future installment may bring in more dollars.

Comment

• Goblin19
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 2, 2002

Unfortunately, box office may prevent any more installments. It performed much worse than expectations. People seem to like it so I'm hoping for legs and a strong overseas total.

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

Unfortunately, box office may prevent any more installments. It performed much worse than expectations. People seem to like it so I'm hoping for legs and a strong overseas total.
                    If it performs well enough, then its not an issue. If it doesn't... it still really isn't an issue as far as the context (which I could've been more clear on in my post) I was more or less operating under in my post.

The jury is already in: Blade Runner is still relevant.

That's a huge achievement for the "boring, philosophical" indy movie that could. And that's something that us Blade Runner fans should find encouraging.

If there's no sequel, look for the powers that be to milk the franchise in multiple media ways til the "Blade Runner resurgence" proves a failure in each of the lesser media as well.

Then I'll (we'll) worry Either way, the "Rick as replicant" dynamic staying intact is a positive for whatever is goin' on with the franchise.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

It's also interesting that some of the concepts that were dropped from the original movie finally made it into this sequel.
                      For instance the farm sequence at the beginning of BR 2049 was originally written for the first movie.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Spawn67
                        Career Member
                        • Aug 14, 2009

Kind of like the first one. Wasn't exactly a runaway hit when it was released in 82.
                        Although it seems most everyone I know who is into it has seen the sequel even though it's been out less than a week..

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Just watched it today. Can’t believe I took this long, but got sidetrack by my illness.

My verdict? Easily the best movie of the year for me. Wonder Woman was tons of fun, and I’ve seen it four times already. But Blade Runner is on another level of filmmaking altogether...soon to be a masterpiece classic, just like the original.

The soundtrack was so eerily Vangelis. The atmosphere, surrounding, cities, even the countryside, all so suffocating, dusty, depressing...all so cool, lol.

Ryan Gosling owned the role. Harrison Ford was so welcomed. Jared Leto was a true arzehole. And the Replicant chick was just an overall baddarze.

Loved the pace, I didn’t find it boring one bit. Loved every minute of it.

Friggin 10 out of 10. One of the best sequels ever. A worthy successor to the original. One of the best movies in years, period.
                          Last edited by Hector; Oct 24, '17, 8:54 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

Totally agree with you Hector! Longer review coming soon...
                            sigpic

Comment

• fallensaviour
                              Talkative Member
                              • Aug 28, 2006

I’m going to go see it again.
                              This film deserves more than one viewing on the big screen.
                              “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

Agreed.

What a wonderful film. Instant classic in my eyes.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎