Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (spoiler free)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

yeah but where do you draw the line? will they stop hiring comedians now because of offensive sets they did in their act at one time? will Eddie Murphy never work again? I mean his early standup stuff had some rather edgy stuff even back then. I'm not defending what Gunn said but they are taking this too far. not to mention the double standard about Peter Fonda and what he recently tweeted or Whoopi Goldberg and her recent behavior on the view

Comment

• Mr.Marion
      Permanent Member
      • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by ODBJBG
      It's not really over the tweets he made. I mean it is, but it's because a certain group decided to witch hunt him to find anything they could on him.

And in Gunn's case, he spent a lot of his early career doing outlandish and offensive things (he worked for Troma at one point doing that sort of stuff) and made some sophomoric jokes about unspeakable topics in the form of Twitter jokes. Was it stupid? Sure, but it wasn't like he's out there doing this stuff now. And it's not like he was actually promoting these ideas, many of them come from those "Ruin a movie with a bad title" and such Twitter memes.

He got hosed. He'll be back because there's clearly no real harm done here and absolutely no one was offended, but Disney had to can him because people draw too many false equivalencies and there would be too much faux outrage if they didn't.
      Hollyweird has been run by sexual predators and pedos for years. I think the studios are finally moving away from that. Gunns posts didn't sound like anything a healthy minded person would write, so why take the chance on him being the next creep to get exposed?

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

They should give the project to the Ragnarok director.

It sucks this happened. I think it’s a slippery slope; if these same standards are applied to everyone in Hollywood, there could be a lot of actors, writers, and artists who can’t make movies anymore.

Bet there’s a lot of Disney employees frantically deleting their old tweets right now.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

^ you are probably correct. this is something I worry about with the kids, as these younger generations put everything out there on social media and you never know when something will come up to bite you on the a s s

Comment

• Makernaut
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 22, 2015

^ I tell people all the time...."Don't think of it as a text/tweet/pic/post/comment....think of it as "evidence" that will easily be completely separated from its context".

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
              yeah but where do you draw the line? will they stop hiring comedians now because of offensive sets they did in their act at one time? will Eddie Murphy never work again? I mean his early standup stuff had some rather edgy stuff even back then. I'm not defending what Gunn said but they are taking this too far. not to mention the double standard about Peter Fonda and what he recently tweeted or Whoopi Goldberg and her recent behavior on the view
              You're right on all that. I grew up a devoted stand-up fan. Kinison was the king to me. But even a guy like Robert Townsend would catch flack for his 80's set, today. If you catch any podcasts or whatnot with comedians, they talk about how it's like being a drug mule.

My only issue with Gunn is he is that Twitter guy more than the post-GOTG image he sells. Even up to the first Guardians, he was still caustic. It wasn't until mega-success rang that he decided to change everything. He was angling to replace the Russos, and now he's Whedon.

I could see the Ragnarok director, also.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

I will state again, this started with him "attacking fans with insults", and they responded with exposing his past behavior. Don't tell fans they are mentally unstable on public media. They will react in kind. It's his own fault, and if other directors attack the fan base, they should get the same treatment.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Ted Cruz wants him prosecuted for the tweets...

Comment

• phil
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 11, 2007

Disney will always defend itself. The last thing they want is any damage to their name. Nor do they want protests at their theme parks. Protecting the brand will always be their first priority whatever the reason.

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                      Ted Cruz wants him prosecuted for the tweets...
                      Ha!! Insanity!!
                      sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I can think of several people more deserving of prosecution for tweets.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Madcap70
                          • Dec 4, 2017

Originally posted by Remco Monster
                          Nothing could destroy Star Wars for me, but he definitely made the worst SW movie since the prequels.
                          Wrong! the prequel's were better than the sequels OFT

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

Shortly after the James Gunn incident blew up, Rian Johnson deleted over 1000 tweets from his Twitter account.
                            Fearing the Wrath of the Mouse?
                            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Jan 19, 2008

Now Patton Oswalt is getting it, too.
                              Last edited by LonnieFisher; Jul 23, '18, 8:19 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
                                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                                Now Patton Oswalt is getting it, too.
                                Out of context, he wrote a very clever series of tweets that looked awful in singular but together were completely harmless. Don't buy that horse crap.
                                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎