Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (spoiler free)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (spoiler free)

Surprised i'm starting this thread.

Well, I must admit I was worried about this movie. I really hate a sequel loaded with call backs and copying the beats of the first ones and the opening credits had me worried that it would be too jokey.

I also thought the biggest strength of the first one was the comedy plus tragedy. If this was going to be straight comedy, it wasn't going to work for me.

Well, i'm wrong. The movie still has a lot of heart, the main theme is family and every character grows a bit. They also flesh out more one dimensional characters from the first. Baby Groot being the exception, that's pretty much an excuse to sell dolls but it was done very well.

The story is not a retake of the first and i happily went in spoiler free. Kurt Russell has been pretty hammy lately in recent movies but he's great in this, his younger cgi version was amazing and everything the terrifying monsters in "Rogue One" weren't.

Honestly, this movie is a lot of fun but it also clicks. The big stand out for me is the comic timing of Dave Bautista, who knew?
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • phil
    Persistent Member
    • May 11, 2007

I liked it but I felt the climatic action sequence went on a bit too long. The emphasis on characterization was a nice surprise.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

I absolutely LOVED it...just as good if not better than the first. Most fun I've had at the movies in a long time.

I enjoyed it much more than Rogue One...what does that say?

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

Haven't seen it yet myself, but I'm glad to hear people (aside from a few harsh critics and grumbly fanboys) are enjoying it. With the success of GOTG, the MCU has to be looking at other "cosmic" properties they can mine, as well. NOVA is number one on my list (the original, not the pre-teen wannabe), which could be an excellent tie-in to Guardians. I would love to see a full-fledged, hardcore sci-fi MCU version of "The Celestials."

So many of Marvel's cosmic properties (Skrulls, Surfer, Galactus) are tied in with the FF rights that a company as flush with cash as Disney has to be right now, would be foolish not to buy back both the FF and The X-Men rights from FOX, or, at least, work hand-in-hand with them the way they are with Sony and Spider-Man.

I'm hearing rumours that the next X-Men flick in going to be another attempt at the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix story and, IMHO, to do that properly, you gotta go cosmic with the Shi'ar and it would be unlikely that a species as widespread as the Sh'iar would not have heard of the stuff going on with the GOTG, Ego, etc. Going back to Nova, I'd love to see an adaptation of the ANNIHILATION storyline, which would ultimately bring Nova and the Guardians together, but it would be impossible to do since the major protagonist is Annihilus and he, along with the Negative Zone rights, are all tied up with the FF.
        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I actually think if people have big problems with this movie, they're trying way too hard.

It's ok once in a while to admit the Hollywood machine is capable of making a terrific genre picture, nobody will take away your art house cred. Even the Red Letter Media crew liked it and I find them kind of abrasive with Marvel movies in general.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• WannabeMego
            Made in the USA
            • May 2, 2003

My Family Enjoyed it, so Mission Accomplished that it was able to convey across that broad spectrum of knowledge.

I was drawn in by all the 'details', obvious and hidden...My Son enjoys the Modern Version of the Team and the expansion on the characters from the Previous Movie...and My Wife, who knows none of the details, enjoyed its balance of Action, Humor, and Emotion.

Win-Win-Win.
            Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by enyawd72
              I absolutely LOVED it...just as good if not better than the first. Most fun I've had at the movies in a long time.

I enjoyed it much more than Rogue One...what does that say?
              Guardians of the Galaxy is my all time favorite Marvel movie...and I'm sure Vol 2 is going to reinforce that...will go watch it this coming Tuesday...
              sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

Saw it yesterday...LOVED IT!! Just plain FUN! What more can you ask for?

$145 million Domestic Box Office...$428 million globally...WOW!
                sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

i am thinking of going to see it at the drive in this week as well. can't wait to see it

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 20, 2011

Hoping that MIB41 and I will be able to catch a showing of it next week, preferably in 3D.
                    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• fallensaviour
                      Talkative Member
                      • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                      The big stand out for me is the comic timing of Dave Bautista, who knew?
                      I did...lol
                      He would have been great in the walking dead as Neagan!!!
                      Anyway I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it my son and I will be checking it out next week.
                      Really looking forward to this.
                      “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

I actually think if people have big problems with this movie, they're trying way too hard.
                        ^This.

The whole family really enjoyed it. It's one of the best sequels I've seen that lives up to the original, but does it's own thing as well. It wasn't a rehash of the first, which under lesser hands, it could have been. I'm not sure I was as blown away by it as the first, but that's not fair to this one, because I basically expected NOTHING out of the original, other than the trailers looked fun. I had no nostalgia for this version of the team (and very little for the original despite buying the 90s series for some time), so the movie caught me off guard and became one of my favorites instantly. This is a great continuation of that, so mission accomplished and I already want to visit with these characters again. I'll probably take in a second viewing.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 26, 2009

I thought it was very good. I think I still prefer the first one, which is one of my all-time faves... but this one certainly did not disappoint.

Sure, the big battle was a bit weak. Not only was it drawn out, but I felt like Peter didn't do anything during the course of the movie to really "earn" what happened. I also kept thinking... "wouldn't the crisis be over if you just left?" Although I guess he could always try again.

But the humor was great. Baby Groot was not nearly as annoying as I feared. The movie really takes advantage of 3d in several scenes (I hardly ever choose 3d, but it was showing at a good time and I was pleasantly surprised). And that one part got me right in the feels... I'm now ashamed to admit I teared up at that part. The recurring theme of "what makes a family" really packed the movie with a ton of heart.

And be sure to stick to the end, as there may be a record number of post-credit scenes... not to mention, a fun song by the Hoff.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                            galactic yo-yo
                            • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                            Haven't seen it yet myself, but I'm glad to hear people (aside from a few harsh critics and grumbly fanboys) are enjoying it. With the success of GOTG, the MCU has to be looking at other "cosmic" properties they can mine, as well. NOVA is number one on my list (the original, not the pre-teen wannabe), which could be an excellent tie-in to Guardians. I would love to see a full-fledged, hardcore sci-fi MCU version of "The Celestials."

So many of Marvel's cosmic properties (Skrulls, Surfer, Galactus) are tied in with the FF rights that a company as flush with cash as Disney has to be right now, would be foolish not to buy back both the FF and The X-Men rights from FOX, or, at least, work hand-in-hand with them the way they are with Sony and Spider-Man.

I'm hearing rumours that the next X-Men flick in going to be another attempt at the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix story and, IMHO, to do that properly, you gotta go cosmic with the Shi'ar and it would be unlikely that a species as widespread as the Sh'iar would not have heard of the stuff going on with the GOTG, Ego, etc. Going back to Nova, I'd love to see an adaptation of the ANNIHILATION storyline, which would ultimately bring Nova and the Guardians together, but it would be impossible to do since the major protagonist is Annihilus and he, along with the Negative Zone rights, are all tied up with the FF.

I'm sure it'll be easier to get FF back. As for the X-Men,if they want Hugh Jackman back as Wolverine,they might want to look into some kind of deal. Rumor has it he'd come back,if he was allowed into an Avengers movie.

Comment

• clemso
                              Talkative Member
                              • Aug 8, 2001

Very good film, it doesn't have the surprise element that made Volume 1 so great, but still a very enjoyable movie.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎