X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScottA
    Original Member
    • Jun 25, 2001

Happy Comic Book Day

Went to both of the comic shops in my town. One had a limit of 5. The other had a limit of 2. Both had sales on toys, graphic novels and back issues. I pretty much got the ones I wanted.

How did you all make out?
    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

Picked up Wonder Woman, Star Trek, GotG, 2000AD and Betty & Veronica.
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

I went to three local stores and 2 had a limit of 3 books per person and one had a limit of 15 (but only one of each title). I wound up with 13 books between the three places (and I made purchases at each stop). I found one title that would be of interest to only a fan of Megos. A Tex Willer comic!

As for my purchases, I found all of the "Future Quest" issues and all of the "Kamandi Challenge". I've been waiting to check them out for a bit and today was a good day to buy. Saw lots of parents with kids which was great!

I also saw a few Cosplay Gals that made this 40 something dude very appreciative of their hobby, too.

Comment

• WannabeMego
        Made in the USA
        • May 2, 2003

Four at My Local Shop...My Son Picked-Up:

Secret Empire, Wonder Woman, GotG, & Red Sonja

Saw A LOT of Kids with Parents this Year, which is GREAT...BUT...Parents kinda put-off by Comic Prices when they were looking for more Books to Purchase. Heard more than once...'We need to put some back, We can only buy one more'.

I know it's been said before, but they have to do something about these prices, it just doesn't equate and it's alienating the very readers they are targeting...and the answer is NOT Digital (even though it's cheaper). Parents are trying to LIMIT the amount of time Kids are spending in front of a screen...regardless of what they are doing (TV, Video Games, YouTube, Phones, Surfin' the Net, etc.).

Anyway...It was definitely nice to see a mixture of ages in the store and people buying in addition to the Free Books.
        Last edited by WannabeMego; May 6, '17, 6:37 PM.
        Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

took the kids, the rain hurt the event this year. Daughter grabbed wonder woman, bongo and Bettie V Veronica: Dawn of Cattiness.

Son bought some dollar comics and I seem to exhausted crappy gold key star treks, so i bought an old Atlas comic.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Makernaut
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 22, 2015

This is the Tex Willer "FCBD" comic I picked up. Last thing on Earth I expected to see and I kind of felt "in the know" because of what I've learned here about the Mego Line of Tex Willer. Otherwise, I would have walked right by.
            Anyone else see this or grab one?

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/Catalog/JAN170027

Comment

• rche
              channeling Bob Wills
              • Mar 26, 2008

We had an awesome time this year. Made the drive to St Louis rather than hit our local shop. Not that I don't want to shop local, but every time we go, we have to peel one of the guys away from his game to get our one allowed copy while the rest of the regulars smoke and cuss at their gaming table.

The shop we went to was awesome! All the employees were in costume (voluntarily) and the shop had $5 grab bags with 25 comics in them AND and awesome dollar rack at the back of the store. I was ready to wince at the checkout since we had something like 110 comics in our pile. It was a little over $20. Awesome and we will definitely visit Star Clipper again when we are in the big city.

Oh - and they gave us a coupon for free cookies at the awesome deli down the street.

Comment

• superherocrazy
                Museum Patron
                • Jun 12, 2007

This was the first year going by myself. My brother and me would spend the day together however he passed away unexpectedly last week. It just wasn't the same without him.

I hit two shops with one letting you pick 5 books and another 2 if you donated canned goods or money to the local Girl Scouts on hand. The other shop let you pick 5 and another 3 if you made a purchase. So ended up with 15 books.

Both shops had 50% off back issues, $1.00 and .25 boxes. They also had comic artists selling sketches and original artwork. I picked up a She Hulk comic page and a Killrazor original comic card art piece. Overall spent around $200.00 total in both shops.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Kids were camping with Scouts, but Cindy and I went and picked up DC Super Hero Girls, Wonder Woman and Buffy. Left that stack of Secret Empire. They can have them. Not going to take them to burn them, going to leave them and hopefully when Marvel sees they can't give them away, they'll wake up.

Our store had all comics on the rack for a dollar, so we sampled A LOT. Looking forward to giving some new things a try.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• jacoblb
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 7, 2009

I missed FCBD for the first since it started due to work OT work obligations. I honestly have a HUGE stack of comics from over the years that I've never read. I especially hate the samplers.
                    My wife and our teenage daughters aren't that interested in going to a comic shop anyway. Manga still reigns supreme for my kids, which isn't to state they don't like reading comics, but they're content with reading, say, Mark Waid's Archie in book form from the public library and use their tablets to read Manga over American comics. (Thankfully publishers are doing much better trying to win over a teen audience.) The shop I would normally go to is better than the other couple shops in my town because they don't limit the titles and often add for free any excess stock of normally priced comics that they give away with the free ones. Since I'm already a longtime reader--just a budgeted, retired Wednesday Warrior--I too am satisfied with buying the books I like from Amazon with a better discount than the shops sometimes offers after I've determined whether or not I like them from the public library.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                      • Apr 3, 2007

Couldn't go on the 6th, b/c our handyman was here all day making some repairs. But I went w/ a co-worker yesterday during my lunch hour and they still had leftovers, so i got Barbie, SC Super Gals, and Marvel Heroes. I also bought 3 Scooby Doo Team Ups, one regular Scooby Doo and Underdog #1.
                      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍