X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Kodak Super 8 camera

Our very own neolani72 (Chad) and his awesome 8mm/Super 8 transfer to DVD/Digital download service...has wet my appetite for going into Super 8 again.

Back in the 80s, I took film classes at college...and had a Canon 1014XL, which cost an arm and a leg back then...and still available on eBay...among others brands like Braun Nizo, Elmo, Nikon, Bell & Howell, Sankyo, Chinon, Yashica, etc.

The manufacturing of Super 8 camera stopped in the mid 90s.

But after decades of no new Super 8s...Kodak will be introducing a brand new camera...

It will feature the traditional film cartridge that we all remember...but in addition to that...a viewscreen that will simulate a flickering image...giving you the familiar illusion of video. Best of all...it will have a built in digital synch sound feature...that can be edited and added in post production.

How cool is that???

Kodak will also offer a pain free film cartridge to digital transfer service.

Again, how cool is that?

I was considering buying a vintage Super 8 camera...as my Canon was stolen years ago. They are sellers who do nothing but this, selling refurbished old Super 8 cameras...they have great feedback. But one of the problems is that the cameras with the best features have microphone and are audio capable...but the bad news, is that while you can have your film developed...the service of developing Super 8 with analog audio tracks are no longer available. So audio capable Super 8 cameras are a moot point now...it's best to get a straight up silent Super 8.

That's where the new Kodak Super 8 camera comes in.

It was scheduled to be released late 2016, then moved to early 2017...but the word is that for sure...it will finally be released in the last quarter of 2017. The very limited silver colored leather strapped camera will be offered at a whopping $2000...but the others, the black and white models, will be in the $500-$700 range, that's more like it.

I want one!

P.S. This in no way conflict with Chad's services...as he's offering transfers of our old vintage footage.

BTW, I mailed him four 5 inch Super 8 reels...he will be transfering them for me. I highly recommend you jump at this...as he's way cheaper than any other film to digital transfer services out there.
    sigpic
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Beautiful imagery...just imagine it alongside digital audio...and no physical splicing...Adobe Premier, Final Cut Pro, After Effects, heck, simple iMovie...

sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Reading this thread I just had a Super 8 flashback

The smell of the G-160 cartridge right after the foil pack was torn open.

Pop it into my cheapie GAF log-shaped silent camera and i'm ready for action

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 20, 2011

As the saying goes "everything old is new again." I can easily see this as a portal to creating the folks who will become big screen directors down the road as well as appealing to today's current directors who might feel the urge to go a bit "old school."
                  sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• noelani72
                    27inaleon
                    • Jun 25, 2002

this is very awesome. I have been so focused on the vintage preservation of 8mm and Super8 film that I have totally missed this announcement by Kodak. But, with all my efforts, one thing is for sure..when I decided on a domain name and theme...super8again.com ~ Memories made Super, Again ...it seems the universe aligned perfectly. One of my ideas finally fell in line with current times. I am totally stoked btw...the response to my service has been very flattering. I received Hector's films and I am fully booked for weeks at this point. Basically working two jobs - my I.T. day job and my film business night job (and weekends).

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

You'll be busy for a loooooong time...hundreds of thousands (maybe even millions) of people have 8mm/Super 8 reels laying around the house...

I myself got lots more as you know...

Kinda surprised of the lack of traffic here...I'd figured news reintroducing a Super 8 camera after decades of non production, would hit the nostalgic button...these news are right up our alley...

sigpic

Comment

• noelani72
                        27inaleon
                        • Jun 25, 2002

yup, and I bet there is quite a bit of Mego footage in the old films too...waiting for me to rediscover it..

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

"Filmmakers using the new Kodak camera can send the 50’ cartridge to Kodak for developing and for a $100 developing fee Kodak will mail back to the filmmaker the developed film on a reel as well post a scanned digital version of the 2.5 minute film in a password protected cloud file."

Chad...you should get into developing film too...especially if the new Kodak Super 8 camera takes off.

I used to develop my own film back in the day...but most people rather have someone else do it for them...
                          Last edited by Hector; May 8, '17, 5:32 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Actually Denmark's Logmar 8 came out with one in 2014...

This one seems to be using an old model and custom-made with modern components...

But Kodak is the key to really mass produce it here in the States...
                            Last edited by Hector; May 8, '17, 5:44 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Mego Magyar
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jan 17, 2011

Cool, my mother took quite a few Super 8's while I was growing up. She had them transferred to VHS back in the 80's and when I got a DVD recorder I out them on disk. We still have her camera ( vidoe only ) and th projector that can do regular 8 and Super 8

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎