X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Canadian Superhero Pepsi Cups

For the last two decades I've been quietly collecting these promotional cups given away by Pepsi in the 1970s in Canada. Similar to the US cup promotions but a much smaller character choice, different design and made in Canada.

My mantra on these was to never buy them online but find them in the wild at the many toy shows, antique malls and flea markets I regularly haunt. I think I've put together a complete set and thought it would be fun to showcase them. More after the jump.

Batman and Robin are favourites of mine, mainly because Batman has the same art as the Mego box and they were definitely faves as a kid. Batman was hard to find.

Superman and Wonder Woman were also tough for me to track down. I think this set took me ten years or so to piece together but i doubt i ever paid more than $5 for any of these and it sometimes was the only thing I came home with.

I rarely ever run into either of these two in the wild.

Aquaman and Flash round out a complete set (I think?), they are also the most common ones. My local flea market had like 50 of the Flash in the 1990s for some unknown reason and I've seen so many Aquamen in my travels.

I keep looking hoping to find more characters in this series but I'm pretty certain it stopped at these six. Hopefully I'm wrong and there is more to hunt because that's the fun part.

Have a great weekend!

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, I had no idea these existed! I think I like these better than a lot of the US Slurpee cups, because the artwork is more "stock art" and iconic. Can't beat Curt Swan, Carmine Infantino and Murphy Anderson, even if they do appear to be redrawn.

I picked up my series of DC Pepsi glasses in the wild as well. I never went looking on ebay for them. It gave me something to hunt.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

These remind me of the old Superhero drinking glasses

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Those images of Batman and Robin in particular make me want to cry for nostalgia. Those images really strike a chord that makes me sad that, well, that's not Batman nowadays.

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

Those are very cool, looks like they did use the Mego boxed Batman picture for the cup image.
          I especially like the Flash cup, really wished Mego made the Flash.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

OMG I want that Aquaman cup .
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ScottA
              Original Member
              • Jun 25, 2001

Robin for me.
              sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎