X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spawn67
    Career Member
    • Aug 14, 2009

Star Wars Stories...

Since today is the 40th anniversary of Star Wars did you see it when it came out? Where did you see it and feel free to tell a story about it..haha.
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

my family had just moved up from long island to Dutchess County NY, it was October but there were 3 drive in movie theaters and they still had it playing so my folks took us to see it. being only 5, I fell asleep before the climactic Death Star battle and had to wait a few years before I was able to see it again and see the whole movie. I can honestly say my life was never the same again after seeing Star Wars and to this day it is still a huge part of my life

Comment

• jacoblb
      Persistent Member
      • May 7, 2009

I saw Sat Wars as a child at the Drive-In. Remember those? Saw it multiple times.
      Then I saw Empire Strikes Back inside a movie and it felt like forever (as a kid) for Jedi to come to the movie theaters.

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Star Wars? I didn't want to see that! Let's go see Disney's The Rescuers instead! Glad I was outvoted by my family.

My parents let me skip school in 2nd grade to see Empire. That was a big thing. I remember dropping my movie program on the theater floor, and picking it up sticky. It still bears the mark.

Returning to school the next day, my teacher was totally onto my subterfuge. She asked me how the movie was with a wink.

Now, it's a tradition we all skip work and school for opening day.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

First saw it at my local one-screen theatre in Ontario when I was 7. Saw it several times during its initial release.
          Also saw it a few times at our local drive-in.
          Great memories.
          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Apositive
            Career Member
            • Apr 3, 2011

I lived in a very small town, so no local theater booked it in advance. It didn't come to our town until June 77 but I was very aware of the buzz it created with comics, news magazines, tv spots and the like- I was soo psyched to see it and the first viewing did not disappoint. What I remember most about were 1. the robots were very different from other science fiction films- they had emotions. and 2. the film had a sense of humor. It was a complete 180 from previous sci-fi like Logan's Run in that it was serious but not too serious. I loved it.

Comment

• Mawni
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 11, 2007

We live in Canada, but near the US border so my parents had been to MT and seen it. My dad kept telling me that I would love this movie. I also remember seeing the People magazine cover with C-3PO and was intrigued. At the time my favourite movie was Disney's "Hawmps". We went to see the movie when it came out and after I remember my dad facetiously asking me if I liked it better than "Hawmps". Liking those movies is something we both shared. He passed away this Christmas.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

I first saw Star Wars at the Oakland Coliseum drive in theater (it's now a fleamarket) with my dad, mom, and little sister...it was an experience I'll never forget. I always got a kick hearing my dad liking R2 D2 the best, lol.

Then after that, saw it several times at the movie theater, San Francisco's Coronet, Oakland's Grand Lake, etc.

Great memories indeed...
                sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Streator Illinois for me, one of the two by now defunct downtown theatres. Pretty sure it was at the double screen one, forget the name. Empire was in Peoria.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• DavidCoppola
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 3, 2009

Saw it here in Rochester, NY when it first came out in May of 77 at the Lowes in Pittsford (a suburb) in 70mm. Life changed for me that year. In addition to Star Wars, two of my other fav movies were released that year as well...Smokey and the Bandit and Saturday Night Fever. I believe I was 12-13 years old.

Comment

• johnnystorm
                      Hot Child in the City
                      • Jul 3, 2008

Saw it the first weekend on Saturday, and sat through it twice. Saw it two more times in the original run,
                      Who knows how many times since.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

I turned three different n May of 1977. So, I saw it during its first theatrical rerelease in 1978. It was subsequently rereleased in 1979, 1981 and 1982. It seems like I saw it again at one of those times. I certainly saw it in the theater, again, in the 1990's.

I saw it on TV the other night along with ESB. It's amazing how well they hold up after all of this time. My God, what strokes of genius!

- Ian
                        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Allie Fox
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 1, 2009

TODAY is the actual anniversary of the original theatrical release of the original Star Wars.
                          On this day in 1977 Star Wars premiered on 32 screens (Screens. Not theaters). Fox "expanded" the release to 43 screens by Friday May 27, 1977.

May the Force be with you.
                          If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• huedell
                            Museum Ball Eater
                            • Dec 31, 2003

May The Force Be With You All.

My parents saw the original 1977 Star Wars release without me.

I look at my first viewing of Star Wars as a result of my obsession with the toys other kids had as it stood in early 1978.

I wouldn't leave my parents alone regarding the original 12 figures that were released in 1978... that, combined with the 1978 movie re-release and overall "Star Wars Mania", gave my parents no other choice but to take me to see Star Wars.

My parents were actually pretty accommodating to me as a child growing up... some might say I was spoiled....some might not.

Problem is, although they eventually understood how important to my self-esteem that "being part of the crowd" by having some figures and seeing the movie was, they really didn't embrace cultural phenomenons like Star Wars "on the mark".

I also was one of the last kids to have a home video game system (Atari 2600) and have access to cable TV (most notably MTV).

I'm not complaining... really... I know many kids had it far worse.

Really, I just find it fascinating how many kids experienced the SW phenomenon in 1977... while here I was, a 7 year old trying to figure out what the big hub-bub was.

I guess my revenge is Disney putting out a Star Wars movie every year and dragging my 72 year old dad to see them like it's the most important thing in the world ...

And, as you Star Wars fans well-know.... seeing a new Star Wars film with a loved one kinda IS like the most important thing in the world
                            "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎