X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

What was your first Star Wars Figure?

I thought this would be a good topic for today.

For me it was C3P0, I never saw Star Wars in '77 and my family famously hid the TV in the summers. So when I came across the display of action figures at Eaton's I was completely taken aback.

I chose C3PO because he was a robot and kinda blended in with my Micronauts and Metal Man figures. I thought he spoke in clicks and whistles, it's what my sister told me at least (she also had not seen Star Wars).

That of course, rolled into me buying the comic adaptation and well, the biggest thing about Star Wars figures were YOU COULD BUY THEM EVERYWHERE. They were like Funko pops are now. I got my Han Solo at the variety store where my dad bought milk on Sunday nights, Darth Vader was tossed into the grocery cart at Miracle Mart, my mom got a free Sand Person at the Kenner Canada booth at the Canadian Toy Fair. The list goes on and on....
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I seen Star Wars on opening day and loved it but I had no interest in getting any figures ... probably 'cause I was 12 at the time.

In the mid 80's when I started collecting the first figure I ever got was a Stormtrooper --- mostly because it's my favorite Star Wars figure of all time.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

Sets 3 and 5 for me. I later got a Landspeeder and Tie Fighter to go with a few other misc figures over the next couple of years.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Darth Vader. Even though my parents thought I was a bit young and would be scared by the movie, they took me downtown to the premiere, where I got to meet Darth Vader outside the theater. Now why they thought this big guy in black armor wouldn't scare me in PERSON, I'm not sure. The guy playing Vader was my mom's boss, so that's probably why. But I knew Vader, so he was my first and only figure for a long time. Then I got a Bespin Luke.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

It was Threepio for me too. My parents finally took us to see Star Wars near the end of summer, and after that I was obsessed about it (like most kids were) and I looked everywhere for figures and wondered why there weren't any. Of course, I imagined that if there were figures, they would be 8" Megos like all my other favourites were. FINALLY, in spring 1978, I wandered into Robinsons (now defunct Canadian department store) and saw an endcap full of Threepios and no one else. Luckily, at the time he was my favourite character, so I snapped him up right away and was on cloud nine. My only disappointment was that he wasn't an 8" Mego like I imagined. My second and third figures were Stormtrooper and Darth Vader (took me awhile to finally find him in stores!)

Comment

• Spyweb007
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 18, 2006

My first figures were Luke and Chewbacca, not sure which one came first or if I got them at the same time. I can remember looking at them after they were opened and how different they seemed at the time from my Megos and other figures.

Comment

• DavidCoppola
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 3, 2009

I had the original set when they 1st came out in 78.

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

I did not know about the movie until my cousins told me I HAD to see it. I figured Star Wars was something like the battle of network stars and why would anyone want to make a movie about that. I was, of course, blown away when I first saw it. I also did not know about the toys until I visited my cousins and saw that they had some. I think I made it to my birthday at the end of summer in 1978 before I got an xwing, c3p0 and r2. I don't think I had a luke to pilot the ship until the holidays later that year.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

I already had the giant Marvel Super Specials and trading cards and in Spring of 78 my Mom surprised me with a Princess Leia.

I do remember the figures were super hard to get at first. Never did see the vinyl cape Jawa. By fall the figures were just about everywhere. Grocery stores, hardware stores, Ben Franklin, etc.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                    Often invisible
                    • Jul 18, 2002

There was one toy store in my town called Toy Castle that I loved to go to, but almost never got anything from because the prices were very high. One time I went and there was a large bin with kids all around it, reaching in and digging thru piles of ... something, I couldn't tell what. When I finally got up to the edge, I was surprised to see Star Wars figures, which I had no idea even existed. Unfortunately, they were very picked thru and all of the figures I would have wanted first were long gone.

So my first figure ended up being C-3PO. I had to beg to get it because, like I said, expensive.

Then my Mom and I went to K-Mart... where lo-and-behold were more SW figures!! And cheaper! So my Mom said "Well, if they're that price, you might as well get another one..." (She was good like that. It's a motto I still live by.) The selection was only slightly better than Toy Castle so my second one bought less than an hour later was Chewbacca.

That happened sometime in the summer of 78. I looked and looked for Han and Luke, but I couldn't find them for months. The infamous SW Holiday Special aired that November and after it was over, I remember telling my Mom I wished I could find the Luke and Han figures someday. She said "Hold on...", went into another room, and when she came back, she had both figures in her hands! She was intending to give them to me for Xmas, but figured... what the hell. I remember it being so magical to watch the holiday thing, say what I said, and suddenly I had exactly what I had wished for. I immediately attempted to build a Millenium Falcon out of Legos for them to fly around in.

Man, that was a good time....
                    Last edited by CrimsonGhost; May 4, '17, 12:22 PM.
                    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• acrovader
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 19, 2011

I remember the day mom came home from shopping gave me my first 2- Vader/R2D2.
                      I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• drquest
                        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                        • Apr 17, 2012

I got C3PO, R2D2, Chewbacca and Luke all at the same time. A local Woolworth's had the most magical display of Star Wars figures and that's where I saw them the first time.

I still have all four of those, although R2D2 fell apart, and I only have a single leg left. The others are in pretty good shape.
                        Danny(Drquest)
                        Captain Action HQ
                        Retro shirts and stuff
                        More retro shirts
                        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Boris71
                          GeekBot' For Life
                          • May 13, 2007

my first one was han solo, took ages to get the jawa I remember him being really hard to get
                          Check out my Electronic Mag here Psycho Styrene Modeling Magazine

Comment

• Timothy2251
                            Jerks beef with Ten Bears
                            • Mar 15, 2008

My folks got my brother and I Luke, R2, Chewbacca, Han Solo and C3P0 (my Holy Grail for the first SW figures) as well as the Landspeeder for each of us sometime after they became more available after the holidays. Vader, tons of stormtroopers, Obi Wan and Leia followed soon after - did a TON of chores to earn those allowances so we could buy the ones we were missing.
                            "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

I remember vividly how hard they were to find at first and my dad, who worked in Manhattan came home with Darth Vader for me. It was such a cool figure. I have just never forgotten that. for my sixth birthday that following May my mom managed to get me the first collectors case and all the rest of the first wave of figures. I remember all my friends being jealous at the time. it was just such a great time to be a kid

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎