Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here collect Souvenir Pressed Pennies?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Anyone here collect Souvenir Pressed Pennies?

I've always done them on occasion as souvenirs when I've come across them and had some spare change, but being at Universal Studios and Disney World, I kinda became obsessed with the Marvel Superheroes and Star Wars pressed pennies, as they are relatively inexpensive collectibles. Kinda glad I limited myself to those characters since there are up to 500 pennies at Disney World alone, and hundreds at Universal Studios as well.

Anyone else here collect pressed pennies?
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • MegoMonk
    Career Member
    • Jan 22, 2007

I have bought a few in my 51 years, but I always wondered if those machines really pressed the penny you put in, or do they just have the "pressed pennies" already in the machine.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

We have purchased several on various vacations. My favorites are the ones where you can watch the penny work its way through the machine.

Comment

• MegoMark71
        Permanent Member
        • Dec 18, 2008

There is a vintage one at the Thomas Edison plantation in Fort Myers Florida.

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by MegoMonk
          I have bought a few in my 51 years, but I always wondered if those machines really pressed the penny you put in, or do they just have the "pressed pennies" already in the machine.
          The hand cranked ones definitely press the penny you put in... it seems many "serious" pressed penny collectors prefer shiny new ones (all the clerks at Universal and Disney seemed to try and get shiny ones when I was getting change made).

the newer machines where you can just tap your credit card if you want seem to be well stocked with shiny new pennies.

Up here in Canada, we did away with pennies as currency, so it looks like many of the penny machines have been retrofitted. kind of curious what they are using now... copper slugs of some kind?
          Last edited by samurainoir; May 5, '17, 11:27 AM.
          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• ZMOQ
            Museum Super Collector
            • Jun 1, 2010

For those of us in the US, pre-1982 pennies are the ones to use. Starting in 1982, pennies were made from zinc, with a copper coating. When they're stretched in the stamping machines, they have this unattractive two-tone color. Mostly copper, but with zinc streaks. Using 1981-and-earlier pennies will get you a pure copper pressed penny. You can even pre-polish them and store a few in your luggage before heading off on vacation.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

My wife and kids collect these. Everywhere we go, if we see one, we get at least one design. Usually most machines have three designs. We have several from Disney and Universal also.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎