X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YoungOnce
    Career Member
    • Aug 29, 2007

Superheroes Decoded

Anybody else watching this? Enjoyable perspective of comics through the decades. Stan Lee is claiming as much intellectual territory as he can regarding the Marvel heroes but the narration itself is giving props to Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko.
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

One of the things that struck me as odd was the complete omission of Captain Marvel. I guess DC isn't interested in the public knowing he was more popular than Superman at one point, nor their eventual hijacking of the character.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 20, 2011

This is the first I've heard of it. Where can one watch this? I'd be interested...
      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• ubermanx
        Career Member
        • Jul 3, 2013

Anyone know where to watch this in Canada? Our version of the History Channel doesn't have it.

~Marty

Comment

• WannabeMego
          Made in the USA
          • May 2, 2003

Originally posted by enyawd72
          One of the things that struck me as odd was the complete omission of Captain Marvel.
          Yup...Glaring Omission.

Interesting, but not telling me anything I don't know already or in a way I haven't seen/heard before.

Still...Always nice to see a Special on the Genre.

History is also showing 'Comic book Superheroes' which I think Originally aired on PBS.
          Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I don't think i can bear any more comic book documentaries. I've seen Stan Lee describe the creation of Spider-Man so many times I could do a one man show off Broadway.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• YoungOnce
              Career Member
              • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
              I don't think i can bear any more comic book documentaries. I've seen Stan Lee describe the creation of Spider-Man so many times I could do a one man show off Broadway.
              He he.... Yeah, who knows how they edit these things, but they only grabbed little one sentence snippets and in those, he always used the word "I" and I don't recall any "we".

Comment

• Brue
                User without title
                • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy

Yep. And while I did have this thing playing in the background when I was doing invoices, it offered nothing new.

Comment

• WannabeMego
                  Made in the USA
                  • May 2, 2003

Superman Mego Spotted at 1: 45 :35 into Episode One where they discuss the 'Death of Superman':

SM_Mego.JPG

Comment

• WannabeMego
                    Made in the USA
                    • May 2, 2003

Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Girl, & Falcon Megos Spotted at 32:45 into Episode Two where they discuss the introduction of Black Heroes:

FF_Mego.JPGFalcon_Mego.JPG

Comment

• YoungOnce
                      Career Member
                      • Aug 29, 2007

Could just be me, but it felt like they were stretching to make some of those "landmark" "watershed" comic book moments more impactful than they were at the time. And like some have pointed out, they skipped some truly big comic book eras (like Capt Marvel).

I know they were trying to tie certain superheroes to big cultural shifts, but it felt like they were trying to give the comic books credit in some places for instigating the shifts. I think in almost all instances though that the comic book companies were just reacting to cultural changes.
                      Last edited by YoungOnce; May 3, '17, 6:57 PM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎