X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Pod Stallions Minisode 3: Records!

We're back this week with another mini-sode and we're talking about one of our favourite subjects, haunting record shops and collecting, of course.

Mini-Sode was inspired by last weekend's Record Store Day festivities where we talk about experiences, vinyl, collecting philosophies, soundtracks, Doctor Who. Fawlty Towers, Power Records, The Ramones, Wild in the Streets, GI Joe, Rusty Warren, mix tapes and overdue library items.

As always, we urge you to support your local record store and for gosh's sake, buy some physical media.

Hit us up on our facebook page with your feedback.

Pod SFor more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Oooh, nice! I know what I'm listening to when I get to work now!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

I was just listening to rips of some Star Trek Power Records on my commute! I'll admit, children's records are right up there for me, and nobody did it better than Power.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

If you don't want to fool with YouTube, Rob has nearly all of the Power Records audio on his blog: http://powerrecord.blogspot.com/

I guess I didn't realize Record Store Day was a thing! We don't have any Records stores in our town, and I'm not aware of any dedicated ones in the area, just FYE and Barnes and Noble who carry the new vinyl.

I haven't purchased any new vinyl releases, but I still comb all the bins at flea markets, peddlers malls, etc. I try to stay cheap, and I've amassed a pretty decent collection of classic rock and kid records, with about the most I've paid being $2 a pop.

A few years back Cindy bought me a Crossly to play them on. I've got no complaints. It works fine for me. Later after that, she got me a working Superman Record player from the 70s.

Power Record Sundays with your kids sounds great! While my kids have followed me into old TV shows and horror movies, they haven't really glommed onto old kids records as much, which is kinda sad since I co-host the Power Records podcast!!! Dani did borrow a stack of them and my Superman player last summer and binge-listened to them, but she ended up breaking the needle. Oh well.

Fun episode!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Falstaff13
          Persistent Member
          • May 28, 2008

I still have all the records from my childhood and a turntable, and this makes me want to get them out and play them again. I had the mail-away Steppenwolf figure for Super Powers that came with one of those records that needed a quarter to hold it down, and I remember also the book and record set that came with Point Dread and the Talon Fighter for Masters of the Universe. I had lots of book-and-record sets that were read-along, with a gimmick to tell you to turn the page (Indiana Jones' whip crack, R2D2 beeping, Tinker Bell's magic), and my sister and I wore out our little record player on those.
          Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
          Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

A few years back Cindy bought me a Crossly to play them on. I've got no complaints. It works fine for me. Later after that, she got me a working Superman Record player from the 70s.
            That's great, i know i bagged on it pretty hard but my experience wasn't good. I eventually bought a turntable but eventually i'm just going to buy a vintage stereo.

Power Record Sundays with your kids sounds great! While my kids have followed me into old TV shows and horror movies, they haven't really glommed onto old kids records as much, which is kinda sad since I co-host the Power Records podcast!!! Dani did borrow a stack of them and my Superman player last summer and binge-listened to them, but she ended up breaking the needle. Oh well.
            yeah it just sort of happened and everyone liked the goof of it. So i look forward to doing more.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• 4NDR01D
              Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
              • Jan 22, 2008

Ive loved collecting records since I was a kid. I also love tangable media. I hate the whole "nostalgia" trip attached to vinyl these days. Records were just something we bought to hear the bands we liked, and vinyl always thrived in the punk scene so thats just what was available. They were always $10 less than cd's too. Which meant, more money to buy records.
              But heres the thing, theres no record shops were I live (except sam the record man) and now vinyls way more expensive. Im not doing mail order and paying the exorbitant amount it costs to ship (in US dollars no less so ive got to pay the 30% extra for both the record and then the shipping than people in the US).
              Nope. Im loving digital media and paying $13 for more music than I have time to listen too. I still get excited if i find something decent at a thrift, but for me, (and I never thought id say it) records are in the past.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

I still have my original Star Trek Power Records album. Passage to Moauv, In Vino Veritas and The Crier in Emptiness. Really good artwork on that album.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  If you don't want to fool with YouTube, Rob has nearly all of the Power Records audio on his blog: http://powerrecord.blogspot.com/

I guess I didn't realize Record Store Day was a thing! We don't have any Records stores in our town, and I'm not aware of any dedicated ones in the area, just FYE and Barnes and Noble who carry the new vinyl.

I haven't purchased any new vinyl releases, but I still comb all the bins at flea markets, peddlers malls, etc. I try to stay cheap, and I've amassed a pretty decent collection of classic rock and kid records, with about the most I've paid being $2 a pop.

Fun episode!

Chris

Cracker Barrel is another place to check. They don't have a large selection but they carry a few.

Comment

• jacoblb
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 7, 2009

I didn't hear a sign off this "Pieces of vinyl" episode
                    Well, I was gonna pass along the Power Record hive online, but ETC beat me to it. Better to use that site than go through the extra work of downloading from Youtube and converting the file for keeps.

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 1, 2005

Ah I haven't listened to this episode yet but I'm really looking forward to it. I adored (and still do) the various book & record sets I had as a kid. And one of my favorite things I've ever owned was the G.I. Joe book & record sets. I can still pretty much quote all of the dialogue from "The Curse Of The Mummy's Tomb" word for word from memory, accents and all!

Comment

• Bravestarr
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Mar 26, 2017

Very cool show

Comment

• HardyGirl
                          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                          • Apr 3, 2007

You guys know me...70s Diva! So you know I records! I have a HUGE collection of albums, 45s and children's records (including cereal box records!). I have 2 turntables here at home and a Philco suitcase record player at school, so my kids know records too. And most of you know I have a rather large collection of Power Records. I'm glad I never got rid of them!
                          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• HardyGirl
                            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                            • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by nvmbrsdoom5
                            Ah I haven't listened to this episode yet but I'm really looking forward to it. I adored (and still do) the various book & record sets I had as a kid. And one of my favorite things I've ever owned was the G.I. Joe book & record sets. I can still pretty much quote all of the dialogue from "The Curse Of The Mummy's Tomb" word for word from memory, accents and all!
                            Here ya go!

"Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎