X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Star Wars Celebration

anyone else go? I had an amazing time, and even got to have a micro-Mego-Meet with Derek. (who says you can't have a Mego gathering in Florida? LOL)

was definitely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things to see and do. Stood in line much of the time, but I did enjoy all the panels I attended, particularly the collector track ones.

So many amazing rare star wars items on display on the show floor as well, particularly at the Toy Tokyo and Toy Hunter booths.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • SKotK
    Career Member
    • Mar 11, 2014

I did go, and also had an amazing time - I've been to every domestic Star Wars Celebration since the first one in 1999, so it's kind of hard not to go. And it's always worth it. I do feel like I got a bit less out of it this time because I missed so many of the panels, and never made it into the Celebration Store *at all* this time (the 5-hour wait was not worth wasting my day on). They've made some changes to some of the ways they ran the convention previously, and I was not able to get the hang of it. Used to be if you wanted into a panel badly enough and got in line early enough, you would make it in. Now you have to get a bracelet for all the big panels early in the morning, and they are gone after that...so if you miss it, that's it. You can't even get in line for any of those panels without a bracelet. I really hope they change that back, and change the way they run the store back to how it was when it ran smoothly.

Overall though, it was awesome once again...I picked up some great items in the dealer's room, handed out/traded buttons with people all four days, had some great conversations with friends old and new, and saw amazing things all over. I was walking right towards the stage area in the dealer's room when Mark Hamill suddenly showed up, which was great. Apparently Harrison Ford did the same thing, but I wasn't around for that. The tribute to Carrie Fisher was incredibly touching, and even though I was seeing it on a simulcast screen rather than in the room it was happening, it was a very moving experience...and with the surprise appearance by Ford and Lucas, as well as the surprise mini-concert conducted by John Williams, I was left stunned. Really, truly amazing.

After Celebration, I took it one further by visiting the Kennedy Space Center. Truth be told, I was even more moved by that whole experience than I was by Celebration, and that's some tough competition. I just really have my heart in the stars, and the Space Center is the real deal. Coming face to face with the Saturn V rocket was jaw-dropping for me, and I even got to witness the launch of an Atlas V rocket headed for the International Space Station. Mission accomplished!

--SKot
    Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

Yeah, we only flew in on thursday morning, and went straight to the venue with our luggage... lined up for hours to get in, and then had to line-up again to get our passes because they don't mail them out to international folks coming from out-of-country, then were sent outside security to check our luggage, and then lined up again to get back through security one more time.

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, woke up ridiculously early to get there to stand in line for wristbands for the more popular panels with the celebrity actors, then got in another line to wait to get in, and once you were in, you lined up to get into the panels!

I also attended a great deal of the collector panels, and somehow got sucked into collecting/trading Star Tots pins for attending those panels, and all the other kinds of scavenger hunts for pins and patches that many of the fan clubs and exhibitors put out there (including Gentle Giant).

Managed to get lucky and pick up a few of the exclusives during lull times towards the end of Thursday and Friday. Was very pleased to meet Timothy Zahn and get my books signed (including the new Thrawn book). There were many interesting writers panels, and even writer's workshops held by different Star Wars novelists.

The cosplay was incredible. So imaginative. and all the droid builders, and Lego displays. Custom cars. Life size prop and vehicles.

and so much merchandise on the show floor from all era's.

I wish we had time to do the Kennedy Space Centre... we ended up spending the rest of the week at Universal (Harry Potter, Marvel Superheroes, King Kong, Jurassic Park, The Simpsons), and Disney World (so much more Star Wars at Hollywood Studios!), before rounding out the week doing the Dark Side 5k, 10k and half marathon.

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Sounds like you had a good time man! Did you take any pics?

Comment

• Spawn67
          Career Member
          • Aug 14, 2009

Yes I went. Despite the lines and fiasco this year I had a great time and even meet some members on this board! I didn't get to go the store either and the lines were 4 hours long. I was bummed about that didn't go to any panels because I was to busy checking out the cosplay and the floor.
          All and all I had a blast and would do it all over again..

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by cjefferys
            Sounds like you had a good time man! Did you take any pics?
            only a few! 8)

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎