Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

There's a very good reason why comics are an antique from my past. There is zero pride in the craft. Continuity use to mean something. It was the gold standard by which writers prided themselves with a professional code to story build characters with actual histories and reward readers for their devotion by giving them something to invest in. Everything today is a short lived idea. Readers today must resort to inventing their own universe and cherry pick how it's held together because the writers are completely on vacation when it comes to maintaining a standard. Comics aren't about sustained stories today as much as just soft sales to help generate revenue for the greater merchandise campaign that finance film projects. They're now on the lower tier of merchandising and these constant reboots and titanic shifts in image demonstrates how starved they are for an audience. It's too bad they've forgotten how to respect the core material and stay true to why these characters ever existed.

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

^I agree, Tom. A lot of Nu52 and...I really don't know what you call Marvel's current run...had little reasoning other than "Use disruption to get attention". That's great, for promotions.

Chris - I saw Super-Family Teamup was the new angle. I thought that was smart, because it's a logical move in exploring Superman's themes. Family has always been his core element. Why does he want to be Clark Kent and not Superman all the time? Because he wants to belong. It's why Superman as the lead of the JLA makes sense; they're all on the outside of their individual societies, looking in, and Supes sees the need for that bond.

The Lego Batman story, to me, was perfect for Superman moreso than for Batman.

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by MIB41
        There's a very good reason why comics are an antique from my past. There is zero pride in the craft. Continuity use to mean something. It was the gold standard by which writers prided themselves with a professional code to story build characters with actual histories and reward readers for their devotion by giving them something to invest in. Everything today is a short lived idea. Readers today must resort to inventing their own universe and cherry pick how it's held together because the writers are completely on vacation when it comes to maintaining a standard. Comics aren't about sustained stories today as much as just soft sales to help generate revenue for the greater merchandise campaign that finance film projects. They're now on the lower tier of merchandising and these constant reboots and titanic shifts in image demonstrates how starved they are for an audience. It's too bad they've forgotten how to respect the core material and stay true to why these characters ever existed.
        You hit the nail on the head my friend! Very well written, very well said!
        sigpic

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
          Persistent Member
          • Apr 28, 2013

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          If any old school comic fans haven't tried the Superman books, now's the time. They are fantastic, and they just reset everything to pretty much status quo, except Lois and Clark have a kid now, who is a great addition to the canon. Can't recommend both Superman and Action enough.

Chris
          I keep seeing Jurgens' preview issues and they look really good. Great to hear the books are solid.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

Interesting article by Brian Hibbs:

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Marvel and DC both share a similar problem when it comes to the handling of their characters. They operate under the belief that they can do whatever they want with them. The truth is that the current companies didn't create these characters. They are the custodians of them, and many of their changes destroy the characters as they were originally created and intended. Disney will never make Mickey Mouse a villain. Or kill off Donald Duck. But it's OK to make Captain America a Hydra Agent or Thor a woman...why? Why are super heroes seemingly exempt from the protections afforded other fictional characters? Why is it OK to kill off Bruce Banner and replace the Incredible Hulk with the Totally Awesome Hulk? Do you think Disney would ever kill off Mickey Mouse and replace him with Mitchell Mouse and expect everyone to just go along with it? Nope. It will never happen. Disney treats their own characters as sacred, but doesn't seem to recognize the need to do the same with the creations of others which have been placed in their care.

My friend Mark's young daughter was devastated to find out Captain America had been made into a villain. He said she saw it on the news and bawled her eyes out. Cap was her hero. Marvel took that away from her and made her cry. Great job Marvel...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^Agreed. I've been saying for years that comics have lost the idea of "editor as custodian". Part of it is desperation as sales get worse and worse decade after decade. Desperation breeds exploitation. But do you think Stan Lee, Roy Thomas or even Jim Shooter would let the characters get to these points without a satisfying, triumphant return endgame in sight? No way.

Same goes for DC. Without Julius Schwartz and his like at the helm anything goes. And if you can get a hot Hollywood writer or novelist, they'll even let you go back and muck with the actual comics of your youth (Brad Meltzer).

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

^That's a good read.

Re: over-saturation, I'd be interested to hear Marvel's side.

On one hand, it sounds like the atypical drill-down model almost every entertainment company is following: One diehard fan paying for three casual people. The company excuse is media fracturing, but in truth, they do it because it's less risk and cheaper because you've captured an segment of the market.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎