X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

Marvel

The Marvel universe is facing some major changes again in the wake of Secret Empire. Starting this fall, Marvel is launching a line-wide shake up in the form of Marvel Legacy— something that promises to bring back fallen heroes and bring them into the fold with newer-established characters to create a mix of familiar…

I hit preview and it posted.

Anyway...Marvel Legacy...aka...we're sorry, please come back.

Interesting.
    Last edited by hedrap; Apr 23, '17, 2:27 PM.
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

So basically it was a big FU to the older readers to begin with...but now that sales have basically TANKED!!! it's : Please come back. The new readers don't care about anything but "Key Issues" and we need more than that to keep our company going. New films can only last a month or two...but we need to keep the train rollin' every day of the year. It's basically the same thing that DC did after the failed New 52. If we, the older over 40 crowd, were holding them hostage these would be the demands I put on Marvel...not that they could give a rat's arse what I think:

1) NO MORE GIMMICK/VARIANT COVERS. It led to the downfall in the 90's and will lead to it again if it is not addressed.

2) Hire some artists that can actually draw. There are so many so called "Veteran" artists that can still draw...and guess what, they know what a schedule means

3) more contained stories instead of long winded and long and winding story arcs that go nowhere. Jim Shooter told me a long time ago that the problem with the industry was that the writers and artists couldn't tell a story in a single issue anymore. That was back in 2001. I found it ironic and funny that it came from his mouth of all people lol.

4) Please get rid of the 20 X-Men titles and 50 Spider-Man titles. Pointless drek that only confuses any "New" reader to a comic book that wants to jump on board.

5) Bring down the price of the books. They know that it doesn't cost them more than maybe 50 cents to print a book, after advertising and what they get paid by Diamond in their deal, and should re-evaluate the pricing. If you follow the model...50 cents for Marvel to print...double that to the middle man (Diamond) .....double that to the consumer. At most a book should cost about $2 and NOT $4

Gonna be interesting to see how this "Legacy" proceeds.

Comment

• YoungOnce
      Career Member
      • Aug 29, 2007

Amen to all that Blue Meanie. I've tried to spend money on comic books.... I go in our local comic book shop a few times a year and come out empty handed. It is not a market that caters to an impulse purchase. They need to rethink their whole market strategy.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Translation: Rebirth is selling and getting good word of mouth, so Marvel, who actually went further afield than DC in many ways (which is saying something) is dialing everything back PRONTO.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
          Moderation Engineer
          • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by YoungOnce
          Amen to all that Blue Meanie. I've tried to spend money on comic books.... I go in our local comic book shop a few times a year and come out empty handed. It is not a market that caters to an impulse purchase. They need to rethink their whole market strategy.
          That's a great point. The only books that I can just show-up and buy and not be lost are the ones that I buy for my children 12 and under.

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

I assumed comics went to a serialized story format for the same reason television did; it's cheaper to produce. I can't speak for the comic process but with television, the producers decide on the season arc, (opener, mid-season cliffhanger, season finale), and then expand/contract the storylines to suit. So what would normally have been a character beat in one episode circa 90's or 80's, is now drawn out over three or four if that character has the bigger moments. It's soap opera/wrestling melodrama and creates a false impression that something important occurred, when it's really nothing in the larger storyline. Walking Dead is the new standard for this approach, but Lost is still the granddaddy of nothing-hype. I see a a similar tactic in modern comics.

...and the artist complaint is becoming a common theme.

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 13, 2016

I seriously don't know what Marvel's play is here. Are they thinking long game at all? I rarely get that feeling.
              While I may prefer DC, but they both have lots of issues (see what I did there? I think I'm hilarious ) when it comes to continuity, retcons and what seems like annual reboots.
              If they simplified things like Blue Meanie suggested, I think that would help a lot. The current cost of comics is pretty frustrating.
              Remember when DC had this whole "Drawing the Line at $2.99" rollout? I actually can't remember which year that was because it was so short lived. I think they miss out on countless potential customers who are turned off by the higher price points. I know that when I go into a comic book store and start to pick up a few issues I quickly do the math in my head and then put most, if not all, of them back. I'm like, "if I'm going to spend this much, I'd rather go to Toys R us!" lol

-Diana

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 13, 2016

oh! And the Gimicky Variant Covers are more of an incentive from Diamond.
                Most of the variant covers (the decent ones anyways) are on a "tiered" scale when ordering.
                ie, You order at least 25 of an issue you get the B&W variant, 50 of the issue and you get the Jim Lee Variant, you always have to order a ton to get that blank cover variant, which is why most small comic stores put high price tags on them.
                I used to date a guy who owned a comic book shop and I would help him do the ordering.
                -Diana

Comment

• YoungOnce
                  Career Member
                  • Aug 29, 2007

Would be nice if Marvel or DC would make a line of one one shot story comics. No cross-overs, no multiple covers. Just a good story. (EC Comics could tell a heck of a story in eight pages.) market these for drug stores and big box stores. Get comic books back to the general public. Naïve I know... Just wishing out loud.

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 13, 2016

Would be nice if Marvel or DC would make a line of one one shot story comics. No cross-overs, no multiple covers. Just a good story. (EC Comics could tell a heck of a story in eight pages.) market these for drug stores and big box stores. Get comic books back to the general public. Naïve I know... Just wishing out loud.
                    AMEN! Even if the one shot is thicker and cost a little more it would be nice to have more books like that.

-Diana

Comment

• WannabeMego
                      Made in the USA
                      • May 2, 2003

It is not a market that caters to an impulse purchase. They need to rethink their whole market strategy.
                      ...and AMEN to that...You nailed it IMHO!!!

Just today I went to 4 different Comic Shops (My Wife was attending a Conference) and I tried REALLY HARD to find something to buy and I just couldn't pull the trigger on a $3-5.00 New Book when I can get Older Back Issues for .25-1.00 each...a bundle of 10 Books for $5...and so on.

...so I walked out empty-handed.

Definitely not an Impulse Market Buy any more...so...My Guess is people jump onto New/Different Series based on Word-of-Mouth these Days instead of it being a Self-Discovery?
                      Last edited by WannabeMego; Apr 24, '17, 6:10 PM.
                      Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

My feeling is that Marvel messed up their Universe TEN times worse than DC did. Al least now DC is trying to "put things right" with Rebirth.
                        sigpic

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 13, 2016

Originally posted by The Bat
                          My feeling is that Marvel messed up their Universe TEN times worse than DC did. Al least now DC is trying to "put things right" with Rebirth.
                          oh I TOTALLY agree. I try not to be a hater but I really love many aspects about DC.
                          And when you have an X-man that has had SO MANY incarnations that you can't even call her a superhero name anymore, that feels to me like some severe continuity issues. Or re-hashing the hell out of one character when maybe they should just move along.
                          -Diana

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by The Bat
                            You all know what I think of the current Marvel. They messed it up so bad for me that I sold off my entire collection...haven't looked back since. I enjoy the movies now and that's it. I haven't bought a Marvel comic in three years.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

If any old school comic fans haven't tried the Superman books, now's the time. They are fantastic, and they just reset everything to pretty much status quo, except Lois and Clark have a kid now, who is a great addition to the canon. Can't recommend both Superman and Action enough.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎