X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by The Re-Rooter
    (Should I even post this? Am I going to be ridiculed?)
    Hey, if Mr.Marion hasn't caught any heat for Mhmmbop by Hansen, you're good.
    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Dating myself here .......

Me and Mrs Jones - Billy Paul

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 13, 2016

Originally posted by J.B.
        Hey, if Mr.Marion hasn't caught any heat for Mhmmbop by Hansen, you're good.

Touche, J.B.
        (IMHO if someone doesn't like Tay Tay they are fibbing )
        -Diana

Comment

• LadyZod
          Superman's Gal Pal
          • Jan 27, 2007

Rae Sremmurd's Black Beatles
          Kanye West's Monster.
          Drake's Started From the Bottom.
          Desiigner's Panda

I have no excuse other than bad taste.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
          Check out my art:
          Art Portfolio@Redbubble
          Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• Apositive
            Career Member
            • Apr 3, 2011

I was, and am, a bit of a metalhead. In 1986, I really didn't care for Iron Maiden's "Somewhere in Time" LP, it just sounded too technical and synthetic for me- but now I listen to it all the time, a great album!

Also, back in the late 80s and 90s, I had a few negative encounters with Deadheads, so I disliked the Grateful Dead. Then I moved to California much later and rented a room in a house with two big Grateful Dead fans who made me see the error of my earlier judgement. Funny how you mellow with age.....

Comment

• emeraldknight47
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Mikey
              Dating myself here .......

Me and Mrs Jones - Billy Paul
              Ohhhh Mikey, bro, you and I must be cut from similar cloth, my friend.

I detested "Me and Mrs. Jones" for a long while (when it was first released back in '72, I was a whopping 8 years old and, as such, I had little use for songs like that which they played incessantly on the radio).

Another song I absolutely could not stand when it was released a year later in 1973 was "Wildflower" by Skylark....

I now love both of these tunes and they have new meaning to me.

A bit of backstory. When I was but a wee lad, from 7 to 12 I believe, two weeks after school let out my parents would put me on a plane and send me down to sunny Pompano Beach, Florida to spend the bulk of my summer vacation with my older (and favorite) sister, Pam, and my older brother, Dale. Those were good, no, great, times (MARVEL 7-11 Slurpee Cups, Lionel Playworld where I bought the bulk of my MEGO collection, extra-lemony lemonade, endless afternoons of swimming at both the beach and in the pool at the house my sister shared with her fiancé at the time). At night, my sister would sit in her chair doing whatever, but always listening to the radio and both "Me and Mrs. Jones" and "Wildflower" were in heavy rotation. Those songs would come on and my sister would sing along with them as loud as she could and pretty much in tune. It's a ritual that, as the years passed and I got older with less frequent trips to see Pam, became richer and more meaningful to me and made me realize how much I actually really did love those songs.

In 2012, my sister was diagnosed with lymphoma and I went down to spend some time with her, taking a compilation CD with me that included those songs. As we would hang out together, now both older and wiser, those songs would come on and we would both sing them and laugh until our sides hurt. It took my sister's mind off her problems, though, so it was twice as rewarding.

In January 2016, her cancer in remission, Pam suffered a major heart attack and was placed in a hospice facility because the attack, combined with her weakened physiology, had done too much damage to her body and her life was now being measured by days and hours. Life and its complications being what they are, I had no way of getting down there to see her, but we did have a wonderful Skype session on Saturday, February 6. We spoke of many things and reminisced about those endless summers and we sang both of these songs again, her voice weaker, but still far more in tune than mine.

That following Sunday, I received a call from my niece that my sister had passed peacefully in her sleep sometime in the wee hours. I was saddened by the news, but glad we had a chance to spend some time together and sing our songs one last time and I hope that she left this world with good and happy memories both old and new.

These songs will remain a part of my life and my memory for the remainder of my days and I look forward to the day when I can sing them once again with my sister.
              sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎