X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

Song you hated (at the time) but love now

In the 90's I have to admit Mhmmbop by Hansen was actually a great song. Virtual Insanity is another one I didn't care for but is an amazingly creative tune.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Something about "Down by the Water" annoyed me when it was new, now I can't understand what my issue was with PJ Harvey, I adore her.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Journey - Don't Stop Believing

Comment

• Brazoo
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 14, 2009

The truth is LOTS of music I love had to grow on me first, but this tread made me think of House of Pain's "Jump Around". I wouldn't necessarily say I love it now, but for years that song made me gag and cringe. A) the opening always tricks me into thinking "Harlem Shuffle" is going to start up, and B) it was the anthem for everything I pretty much hated when it first came out.

Year or two ago I was having a nice evening out with some friends and I realized I was actually kind of happy to hear it, and I thought to myself (paraphrasing Rick James) 'nostalgia is a hell of a drug'.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Back in the 70s...I despised and hated Disco music with a passion...but nowadays...I see it mostly a catchy nostalgic music.
          sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
            Back in the 70s...I despised and hated Disco music with a passion...but nowadays...I see it mostly a catchy nostalgic music.
            i was going to say very much the same thing. stuff I would not have been caught dead listening to in my teens and twenties I now find relaxing. on a related note, I find that a lot of music I listened to back in the day I really have no interest in now. still love the faves though, Beatles, Floyd, RUSH and the Who

Comment

• Mr.Marion
              Permanent Member
              • Sep 15, 2014

Taste of Honey's "Boogie Oogie Oogie" is a great song no matter what your musical preference​s are.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                i was going to say very much the same thing. stuff I would not have been caught dead listening to in my teens and twenties I now find relaxing. on a related note, I find that a lot of music I listened to back in the day I really have no interest in now. still love the faves though, Beatles, Floyd, RUSH and the Who
                We are agreeing across the board, lol. I myself was heavily into metal...now...don't care much for it...

But 70s classic rock is still my favorite genre...
                sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
                  Taste of Honey's "Boogie Oogie Oogie" is a great song no matter what your musical preference​s are.
                  Didn't like it back then, but like it now...

And speaking of honey...The Ohio Players, Honey...one of the greatest album covers of all times...

sigpic

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
                    learning all the time
                    • Sep 15, 2010

Devo's version of "Satisfaction"

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

We are agreeing across the board, lol. I myself was heavily into metal...now...don't care much for it...

But 70s classic rock is still my favorite genre...

That's because we're much older and we look back and I guess appreciate that style of music, whether it was
                      70's/80's rock, metal, country or disco etc.

Today it's either teenybopper or gang banging crap, if I listen to the radio, it's classic rock stations, R&B old school
                      or sports radio or I'll throw in a cd

Right now actually I've got the music channel on and listening to the Who's Eminence Front, 1982
                      great memories.
                      Last edited by TrekStar; Apr 19, '17, 9:34 PM.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                        That's because we're much older and we look back and I guess appreciate that style of music, whether it was
                        70's/80's rock, metal, country or disco etc.

Today it's either teenybopper or gang banging crap, if I listen to the radio, it's classic rock stations, R&B old school
                        or sports radio or I'll throw in a cd

Right now actually I've got the music channel on and listening to the Who's Eminence Front, 1982
                        great memories.
                        "Eminence Front" is a great, great song by a great band. Thanks for reminding me of it. There are songs, far too many to mention, that I disliked as a youth, but today, I realize them for the classics they truly are.

I've gotten to the point where I very, very, rarely will have a radio on, largely due to the utter lack of talent or inspiration today's musical artists have. Case in point; the BEE GEES tribute that was on Easter night: there were a few performances that were excellent, but several other that were duds, which makes it astounding to believe the three main Gibb brothers had so much talent that they could write five of the songs from "Saturday Night Fever" over the course of a weekend. When "today's" artists got ahold of their songs, most of them could not, IMHO, make it work. But I digress....

Most of my listening these days comes from my Apple Music subscription and its capability to make "stations" of music based solely on your personal likes and dislikes. If you've never tried it, I highly recommend it. Listen for a few hours and you'll likely never return to commercial radio.
                        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Goblin19
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 2, 2002

Rod Stewart's If You Think I'm Sexy comes immediately to mind. Used to hate it, but now I think it's really catchy.

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 13, 2016

(Should I even post this? Am I going to be ridiculed?)
                            Taylor Swift & Miley Cyrus.
                            When they were first a big thing I thought of myself as a hipster back then (I deserve to be ridiculed for that), and despised "popular" music cuz I had to be original or whatever ridiculous idea I had at the time. I was against most Top 40 type music for years and would just roll my eyes at it.
                            My husband liked mostly the exact opposite music that I did. He didn't have a favorite Beatles song and didn't listen to any of the weird **** I did. He put Miley & Taylor on my ipod and it took me a long time to admit that I had listened to it and liked it.
                            Then I got married and I didn't care about being cool anymore and got over myself. Some days we even little to Britney Spears while working lol I blame him.
                            -Diana

Comment

• sprytel
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 26, 2009

The Beach Boys "Wouldn't It Be Nice." When I was younger, I pretty much wrote off the Beach Boys as a gimmick... and their comeback with "Kokomo" only reinforced those opinions. But when I was in my 20s and gave "Pet Sounds" a good listen, I was blown away by the genius of Brian Wilson. "Wouldn't It Be Nice" literally sounds different to me now. There is a darkness and an artistic complexity to the song, and I totally missed it when I was younger.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎