X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greensavage2000
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 9, 2013

Why no squishy custom heads?

I've been sculpting and thinking about making some molds and stuff. Is there a reason why no one casts in latex or something else that would be squishy like an original Mego head? I don't know a lot about this stuff but I've been trying to figure it all out. Couldn't you make a cast by slushing the stuff in the mold? Or better yet make a rotocasting machine. I've seen this on YouTube. It doesn't seem to hard to do. Is it a case of the quality of the material to cast with? Is it just more trouble than it's worth to most? Whatever the reason I'm really hoping many of the talented people here could help educate and discuss this.
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

I don't think there is enough money to be made to bother. It's also harder to get paint that works well on flexible material. I would do it, but it isn't worth the bother, time invested, and cost. The chemicals are readily available.

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

I believe others have not had much success creating rotocast heads with a do-it-yourself rig. But I have wondered about putting a layer of that liquid latex on a resin head, to give it more of a rubbery feel.

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 13, 2016

I was just wondering the same thing!
        I know a guy who does action figure and doll pieces that she casts in slightly harder plastic than vinyl and her prices are really reasonable. I've bought a few things and was able to paint them fine. Maybe I should ask what he uses?

-Diana

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎